Beet It! 11 Nutrition-Packed Smoothies Featuring Beets
Medically reviewed by Daisy Coyle, APD
Beets are delicious, yes. But they're also packed with essential vitamins and minerals.
Beets have a high concentration of nitrates, which can help to lower blood pressure and may increase blood flow to the brain. A cup of beets contains 3.4 grams of fiber, making them a great source of fiber. And since they have a high water content and are low in calories, they can also help with weight loss.
A 3.5-ounce serving of cooked beets contains the following nutrients:
- Calories: 44
- Protein: 1.7 grams
- Fat: 0.2 grams
- Fiber: 2 grams
- Vitamin C: 6% of the RDI
- Folate: 20% of the RDI
- Vitamin B6: 3% of the RDI
- Magnesium: 6% of the RDI
- Potassium: 9% of the RDI
- Phosphorous: 4% of the RDI
- Manganese: 16% of the RDI
- Iron: 4% of the RDI
While you can roast beets on their own, or make them into soups and salads, there's also the option of drinking your daily dose.
Beet juice is one option. Fresh is best as store-bought can be high in added sugars and may have a low beet content.
We also love the idea of whipping beets into a smoothie. Replace your green morning smoothie with one of these bright pink beauties and see how you like it.
Check out some of these delicious ideas, courtesy of the healthy foodies on Instagram.
1. Beet powered smoothie via @what.the.veg
2. Peachy beet coconut layers via @lovebeets
3. Skinny beet and green leafy smoothie via @redd_bee
4. Pink power protein smoothie via @laceybaier
5. Beet smoothie with collagen powder via @fitcollegekitchen
6. Beet, pineapple, kale smoothie via @liverichfully
7. Beet smoothie with almond butter via @kt.salamander
8. Beet smoothie with cucumber and avocado via @3leafhealth
9. Pre-workout beet smoothie via @macromatters
10. Beet smoothie with oranges and ginger via @bowlstoplates
11. Beet madness smoothie via @natalya_longevitylifestyle
Reposted with permission from our media associate Healthline.
- Top 20 Healthy Salad Toppings - EcoWatch ›
- 8 Detox Salad Recipes to Kick-Start Healthy Eating - EcoWatch ›
- 5 Natural Remedies to Help Soothe Irritated Skin - EcoWatch ›
- EcoWatch ›
- 11 Reasons Why Berries Are Among the Healthiest Foods on Earth ›
- 9 Super Healthy Gluten-Free Grains - EcoWatch ›
- 50 Healthiest Foods on the Planet - EcoWatch ›