The best of EcoWatch, right in your inbox. Sign up for our email newsletter!
Beet It! 11 Nutrition-Packed Smoothies Featuring Beets
Medically reviewed by Daisy Coyle, APD
Beets are delicious, yes. But they're also packed with essential vitamins and minerals.
Beets have a high concentration of nitrates, which can help to lower blood pressure and may increase blood flow to the brain. A cup of beets contains 3.4 grams of fiber, making them a great source of fiber. And since they have a high water content and are low in calories, they can also help with weight loss.
A 3.5-ounce serving of cooked beets contains the following nutrients:
- Calories: 44
- Protein: 1.7 grams
- Fat: 0.2 grams
- Fiber: 2 grams
- Vitamin C: 6% of the RDI
- Folate: 20% of the RDI
- Vitamin B6: 3% of the RDI
- Magnesium: 6% of the RDI
- Potassium: 9% of the RDI
- Phosphorous: 4% of the RDI
- Manganese: 16% of the RDI
- Iron: 4% of the RDI
While you can roast beets on their own, or make them into soups and salads, there's also the option of drinking your daily dose.
Beet juice is one option. Fresh is best as store-bought can be high in added sugars and may have a low beet content.
We also love the idea of whipping beets into a smoothie. Replace your green morning smoothie with one of these bright pink beauties and see how you like it.
Check out some of these delicious ideas, courtesy of the healthy foodies on Instagram.
1. Beet powered smoothie via @what.the.veg
2. Peachy beet coconut layers via @lovebeets
3. Skinny beet and green leafy smoothie via @redd_bee
4. Pink power protein smoothie via @laceybaier
5. Beet smoothie with collagen powder via @fitcollegekitchen
6. Beet, pineapple, kale smoothie via @liverichfully
7. Beet smoothie with almond butter via @kt.salamander
8. Beet smoothie with cucumber and avocado via @3leafhealth
9. Pre-workout beet smoothie via @macromatters
10. Beet smoothie with oranges and ginger via @bowlstoplates
11. Beet madness smoothie via @natalya_longevitylifestyle
Reposted with permission from our media associate Healthline.
EcoWatch Daily Newsletter
Germany's target for renewable energy sources to deliver 65% of its consumed electricity by 2030 seemed on track Wednesday, with 52% of electricity coming from renewables in 2020's first quarter. Renewable energy advocates, however, warned the trend is imperiled by slowdowns in building new wind and solar plants.
Half the world is on lockdown. So, the constant hum of cars, trucks, trains and heavy machinery has stopped, drastically reducing the intensity of the vibrations rippling through the Earth's crust. Seismologists, who use highly sensitive equipment, have noticed a difference in the hum caused by human activity, according to Fast Company.