Most Powerful Storm Ever Recorded Over Atlantic: Hurricane Irma Hurtles Through Caribbean
Hurricane Irma reached Category Five status Tuesday as it barreled through the Caribbean towards Puerto Rico, making its first landfall in Barbuda this morning.
Officials predict Irma could be the strongest storm on record to hit the Leeward Islands, and the National Weather Service declared this morning it could be "potentially catastrophic" for the region.
Florida officials have declared a state of emergency, triggering evacuations and preparations ahead of the storm's potential landfall in the state this weekend. Climate change is linked to the increasingly rapid intensification of hurricanes, which leaves less time for communities to prepare for impact.
Category 5 #Irma with 185-mph winds- #Hurricane preparations in the NE Leeward Islands should be nearing completion… https://t.co/O3XMZhn36b— NHC Atlantic Ops (@NHC Atlantic Ops)1504635838.0
As reported by The Atlantic, "By Tuesday afternoon, Irma packed maximum sustained winds of 185 miles per hour, making it the strongest hurricane recorded in the Atlantic basin outside of the Caribbean Sea and the Gulf of Mexico, according to hurricane records."
For a deeper dive:
Carbon dioxide levels in the atmosphere hit a new record in 2019 and have continued climbing this year, despite lockdowns and other measures to curb the pandemic, the World Meteorological Organization (WMO) said on Monday, citing preliminary data.
- 13 Must-Read Climate Change Reports for 2020 - EcoWatch ›
- Large Methane Leaks Soar 32% Despite Lockdowns and Green ... ›
EcoWatch Daily Newsletter
These black-and-white lizards could be the punchline of a joke, except the situation is no laughing matter.
By Isabella Garcia
September in Portland, Oregon, usually brings a slight chill to the air and an orange tinge to the leaves. This year, it brought smoke so thick it burned your throat and made your eyes strain to see more than 20 feet in front of you.
- 16 Essential Books About Environmental Justice, Racism and Activism ›
- 7 Devastating Photos of Wildfires in California, Oregon and ... ›
- Several West Coast Cities Have the World's Worst Air - EcoWatch ›
- Extremely Rare Leopard Cubs Born in Connecticut Zoo - EcoWatch ›
- Small Wild Cats Face Big Threats Including Lack of Conservation ... ›
- 5 Species Bouncing Back From the Brink of Extinction - EcoWatch ›