EcoWatch Daily Newsletter
‘You Are Failing Us’: Greta Thunberg Rips Into World Leaders for Lack of Climate Action, Glares at Trump
Swedish 16-year-old Greta Thunberg, who was instrumental in launching the Fridays for Future school strike movement, refused to let world leaders off the hook in an emotional speech at the start of the UN Climate Action Summit Monday.
- 'It Is Time to Rebel': Listen to Greta Thunberg on New Track From ... ›
- Greta Thunberg Chastises European Parliament for Prioritizing ... ›
A dire new report issued by the World Meteorological Organization (WMO) found that the climate crisis is on a worrying trajectory as the crisis's hallmarks — sea level rise, ice loss and extreme weather — all increased over the last five years, which will end as the warmest five-year period on record.
Today is the United Nations Climate Action Summit, a gathering called by UN Secretary General António Guterres to encourage climate action ahead of 2020, the year when countries are due to up their pledges under the Paris agreement.
By Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala
World leaders have a formidable task: setting a course to save our future. The extreme weather made more frequent and severe by climate change is here. This spring, devastating cyclones impacted 3 million people in Mozambique, Malawi and Zimbabwe. Record heatwaves are hitting Europe and other regions — this July was the hottest month in modern record globally. Much of India is again suffering severe drought.
- 'The Planet's on F***ing Fire': Bill Nye Explains Climate Change to ... ›
- World Economy Can Reap $26 Trillion in a Decade by Fighting ... ›
- This September, Climate Strikes Go Global ›
- Bill McKibben: This Climate Strike Is Part of the Disruption We Need ... ›
Environmental activists around the world are strategizing and planning demonstrations to coincide with next month's United Nations Climate Action Summit, which starts on September 23. The organizers aim to force politicians and lawmakers to confront the urgency of the global climate crisis, which is accelerating at an alarming rate.
- After a Year of Strikes Can Fridays for Future Maintain Momentum ... ›
- Climate Leaders Ask for Massive Public Turnout at Upcoming Global ... ›