Sunpro Solar: Reviews, Costs, Quality & More (2021)
Is Sunpro Solar the best choice for you?
Sunpro Solar has had a foothold in the solar market of the sunny Southeast since 2008 and has stretched its service area across 21 states. But what do Sunpro Solar reviews have to say about the company's customer service as it expands?
In this article, we'll take a look at the Louisiana-based company's reputation, service offerings, pricing and more so you can decide whether purchasing solar panels with Sunpro is a good idea for your home.
|Sunpro Solar Fast Facts|
|Service Areas||21 states, including AZ, AR, CA, FL, GA, IL, IA, KS, LA, MS, MO, NE, NV, NM, NC, OH, OK, SC, TN, TX, VA|
|Service Types||Customized designs of solar panel systems, electric vehicle (EV) chargers and backup battery installations|
|Types of Panels Sold||LG, Panasonic|
|Backup Battery Options||Yes, including Tesla Powerwall and Enphase Encharge|
|Certifications||North American Board of Certified Energy Practitioners (NABCEP) technicians; LG, Enphase and Unirac certified installer|
|Better Business Bureau (BBB) Rating||A with accreditation|
Read on for our full review, or to see if Sunpro is available in your area and get a free quote, fill out the 30-second form below.
Sunpro Solar Overview
Sunpro Solar is a leading provider of both residential and commercial solar energy solutions throughout 21 states, ranking No. 2 on our list of the best solar installers in the U.S. The company has installed solar on over 25,000 homes, and Sunpro reviews are largely positive, giving it a great nationwide reputation. Sunpro currently holds a BBB rating of an A and holds certifications from NABCEP, LG, Enphase and Unirac.
Headquartered in Mandeville, Louisiana, Sunpro got its start servicing the sunny areas around the Gulf Coast. The company is yet to spread into the Northeast but now services most of the southern U.S. and has become a top solar company in Texas, Arizona and California.
Sunpro opts to exclusively sell renewable energy systems rather than lease solar panels. It also offers high-quality solar storage solutions. What sets Sunpro apart from competitors is its 25-year comprehensive guarantees of power output, workmanship and product longevity.
Sunpro Solar Services and Installation
Sunpro Solar designs, installs and maintains solar panels on commercial properties and residential homes. The provider has over a decade of experience in solar installations and prides itself on its reputation for providing quality service and industry-leading warranties.
Solar Panel Warranty
Unlike most companies, which only offer product warranties and 10-year workmanship warranties, Sunpro offers a comprehensive 25-year warranty guaranteeing the solar system produces at its estimated level for decades after your purchase.
According to Sunpro, if your system does not produce the amount of energy guaranteed, you will receive the difference in cash. More specifically, the 25-year Sunpro guarantee includes:
- A labor guarantee that your system is installed properly without any damage to your home or system.
- A power production guarantee that your solar energy system produces the amount of power outlined in your initial solar proposal.
- A panel module guarantee that your solar PV panels remain functional.
- An Enphase microinverter guarantee that your system's microinverters perform without error.
The right products for your home will depend on your energy needs, but Sunpro comes armed with some of the best solar panel and backup battery options on the market. Sunpro's PV installations are mostly equipped by brands like LG and Panasonic — companies known for making products with exceptional longevity and quality at an affordable price.
Sunpro also offers both the Tesla Powerwall 2 and the Enphase Encharge 10, two of the best solar battery options on the market. Despite Sunpro carrying a mix of brands for its panels and storage systems, the company chooses products that are compatible with each other. For instance, LG panels are known to work well in nearly any solar configuration.
Sunpro Installation Process
Outlining its process in just three steps, Sunpro strives to make solar installations as simple and easy as possible. Relative to its competitors, Sunpro's process is more simple, but this can come at the cost of customizing the look and functionality of your system.
An average Sunpro customer can expect the installation process to look a little more like this:
- Sunpro evaluation: To kick off the process, one of Sunpro's solar consultants will visit and evaluate your home to determine if it's the right fit for solar. If eligible, Sunpro will send a quote and rendering of your home's proposed system. Make sure your proposal outlines any local incentives or solar tax exemptions available in your area.
- Obtain permits and approvals: Once you've approved the plans and signed the paperwork, Sunpro will handle the details of obtaining your permits and approvals. Most solar installations will require a city permit, and some may require a net metering agreement to ensure a safe installation and that you can sell any surplus energy back to your local utility company.
- System installation: After all permits and approvals are secured, Sunpro will install your system. Most Sunpro installations are complete within one to three business days, depending on their complexity. Before you can turn the system on, both the city inspector and local utility need to issue permission to operate (PTO). Sunpro will schedule all required inspections before assisting you in getting your system up and running.
Sunpro Solar Costs and Financing
It's challenging to estimate the average cost of solar for a provider, as prices depend on your location, home and energy goals. We do know that Sunpro offers fairly competitive prices, but local installers may quote just below Sunpro to get a leg up on the competition. This is another reason we encourage our readers to get several quotes from competing companies.
Unlike other industry leaders like Sunrun and SunPower, Sunpro does not offer a lease option. This excludes a small number of homeowners interested in solar, but ultimately Sunpro encourages purchases so that customers can secure the best value for their time and money.
Sunpro offers standard solar financing plans for its customers, all backed by the company's 25-year guarantee.
- Full purchase: You own the system and the energy it produces. Purchasing solar panels is the ideal way to go solar. When you purchase panels, you buy the solar equipment from Sunpro in cash. Think of this as paying for 25 years worth of energy upfront, only for far less than you'd pay if you stuck it out with your local utility.
- Monthly loan: You own the system and pay for it with a loan. Sunpro can help you secure a solar loan to fund the purchase of your solar panels. Loans require monthly payments and vary in interest rates based on credit scores and loan terms. Payback periods can range from five to 12 years depending on these factors. With a monthly loan, you still own the system outright, which adds to property value, allows you to claim the federal solar tax credit and provides a far greater return on investment than leasing panels.
Sunpro Solar Reviews
There are bound to be mixed reviews for any company with over 25,000 clients. Let's take a look at what real Sunpro customers have to say — both positive and negative.
Positive Sunpro Reviews
Sunpro Solar reviews from happy customers mostly describe a "set it and forget it" solar project: simple plans, a quick installation and a product performing just as it was advertised.
" Great company! I had my solar installed a couple months ago. Everyone and everything was great and went very smoothly. They kept in contact with everything that was going on the entire time. Now I have a new roof, a nice tax credit and a practically non-existent light bill!" — Jeremy via BBB
"Everything went as promised and on time. All the people were friendly and courteous. I am having no problems with the installation and service." — Thom via Google Reviews
Negative Sunpro Reviews
Solar, like any business, runs on sales. And Sunpro's sales consultants work on commission. That's why it's important to find an installer that you can trust to keep you satisfied well after the papers are signed. Solar can be a very challenging issue for homeowners to troubleshoot, and most negative Sunpro Solar reviews stem from customers experiencing issues after the sale was made. Here are a few examples.
"I pretty much have the same complaints as most others. I'd warn all to not waste your time or money with this company. They install the panels very quickly in order to get their money from the lending company. But once they receive their money, you are on your own. They never keep in contact to update you on the status of the activation of the panels. They are not honest at all in the entire process." — Sean via BBB
"I was satisfied when I first got the solar panels installed. However, when I call now to get my panels serviced — as I have 11 panels out of commission — I am being told that it will be awhile… I have yet to get a date that my panels will be serviced. Have not even gotten a call back." — Sandra via Google Reviews
Final Thoughts on Sunpro Solar
Sunpro Solar is a good example of how a solar company should operate; an all-encompassing 25-year warranty, high-quality solar panels and good customer service. Sunpro has helped tens of thousands of homeowners discover the benefits of modern solar energy by keeping its business and installation process simple. We'd like to see better results from its customer service department, however.
If you do go with Sunpro, the chances are that you'll receive a quick, simple and effective solar solution that works for at least 25 years. We noticed most issues arise on the rare occasions that installations don't go smoothly. Whether a minor issue like your inverter not connecting to your network or a major issue like a faulty panel, a comprehensive 25-year warranty only does so much good if you can't get your provider to call you back.
Overall, we happily recommend Sunpro to our readers, but be sure you only sign a contract from a sales rep you trust. Leave no stone unturned in asking questions prior to the sale to make sure your consultant is knowledgeable and will field any of your concerns after you sign a contract. Solar is a significant investment, and you should feel confident in your decision.
|Sunpro Solar Pros||Sunpro Solar Cons|
|Large service area||Reported communication issues after sale|
|Strong warranty||No lease options|
|Excellent customer service||No online estimates or consultations|
|High quality of products|
Solar Energy Provider Comparison
Now that you know what Sunpro Solar reviews have to say, let's compare the provider to a couple of other well-known national solar companies:
|Services Offered||Solar panel installation, battery installation, monitoring
||Solar panel installation, battery installation, monitoring, maintenance||Solar panel installation, battery installation, monitoring|
|Service Areas||AZ, AR, CA, FL, GA, IL, IA, KS, LA, MS, MO, NE, NV, NM, NC, OH, OK, SC, TN, TX, VA||AZ, CA, CO, CT, FL, HI, IL, MD, MA, NV, NH, NJ, NM, NY, PA, RI, SC, TX, VT, WI, Puerto Rico and Washington D.C.||All 50 States|
|Payment Options||Cash, loan||Cash, loan, lease, PPA||Cash, loan, lease|
|Learn More||Get Quote||Sunrun Review||SunPower Review|
Frequently Asked Questions
Is Sunpro legit?
Sunpro is a legitimate solar company performing solar and energy storage installations in 21 states. Sunpro is accredited by the BBB and has certifications from NABCEP, LG, Enphase and Unirac. It has carried out over 25,000 installations throughout the country.
Where are Sunpro panels made?
Sunpro installs mostly LG solar panels and is a platinum tier installer of the LG partner program. LG believes solar panels should be made in-house and manufactures all of its panels in its facilities in Gumi, South Korea, and Huntsville, Alabama.
Who is the most reputable solar company?
There are many different opinions about the most reputable solar company. Sunpro, Sunrun and SunPower frequently lead lists of top solar companies, but ultimately, the best company for you depends on your needs.
Where does Sunpro have service?
Sunpro Solar currently offers services in 21 states, including Arizona, Arkansas, California, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Iowa, Kansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Missouri, Nebraska, Nevada, New Mexico, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas and Virginia.
- Monocrystalline Vs. Polycrystalline Solar Panels: What's Best ... ›
- Blue Raven Solar: Reviews, Costs, Services & More (2021 ... ›
- Sunrun Solar Reviews: Costs, Quality & More (2021) - EcoWatch ›
- 10 Best Solar Panels for Homes (2021) - EcoWatch ›
- 10 Best Solar Companies in North Carolina (2022) - EcoWatch ›
- Average Cost of Solar Panels in Arizona: What to Expect (2022) - EcoWatch ›