ADT Solar (Sunpro Solar): Reviews, Costs, Quality & More (2022)
Here’s what we’ll cover in this guide:
- The transition from Sunpro Solar to ADT Solar
- What sets ADT Solar apart from competitors
- How to determine ADT’s solar panel costs and quality
- What to expect when working with ADT Solar
Why You Can Trust EcoWatch
We work with a panel of solar experts to create unbiased reviews that empower you to make the right choice for your home. No other solar site has covered renewables as long as us, which means we have more data and insider information than other sites.
- Industry-leading warranty coverage
- Expansive service area
- Some reported communication issues
- No leases or PPAs
- Solar Panels
- Solar Batteries
- EV Chargers
- Energy-Efficiency Upgrades
ADT Solar Overview
ADT Solar, formerly Sunpro Solar, is a leading provider of both residential and commercial solar energy solutions throughout 21 states, ranking No. 2 on our list of the best solar installers in the U.S. The company has installed solar on over 25,000 homes, and Sunpro reviews have been largely positive, giving it a great nationwide reputation.
|ADT Solar Fast Facts|
|Service Areas||21 states, including |
|Service Types||Customized designs of solar panel systems, electric vehicle (EV) chargers and backup battery installations|
|Types of Panels Sold||LG, Panasonic|
|Backup Battery Options||Yes, including Tesla Powerwall and Enphase Encharge|
|Certifications||North American Board of Certified Energy Practitioners (NABCEP) technicians; LG, Enphase and Unirac certified installer|
|Better Business Bureau (BBB) Rating||A with accreditation|
Headquartered in Mandeville, Louisiana, Sunpro got its start servicing the sunny areas around the Gulf Coast. The company is yet to spread into the Northeast but now services most of the southern U.S. and has become a top solar company in Texas, Arizona and California. It was acquired by ADT in 2021.
ADT opts to exclusively sell renewable energy systems rather than lease solar panels. It also offers high-quality solar storage solutions. What sets the company apart from competitors is its 25-year comprehensive guarantees of power output, workmanship and product longevity.
ADT Solar Services and Installation
ADT Solar designs, installs and maintains solar panels on commercial properties and residential homes. Before it was acquired, Sunpro gained over a decade of experience in solar installations and prided itself on its reputation for providing quality service and industry-leading warranties. It’s too early to tell whether ADT will continue operating at this level of excellence.
Solar Panel Warranty
Unlike most companies, which only offer product warranties and 10-year workmanship warranties, ADT offers a comprehensive 25-year warranty guaranteeing the solar system produces at its estimated level for decades after your purchase.
According to Sunpro, if your system does not produce the amount of energy guaranteed, you will receive the difference in cash. More specifically, the 25-year ADT guarantee includes:
- A labor guarantee that your system is installed properly without any damage to your home or system.
- A power production guarantee that your solar energy system produces the amount of power outlined in your initial solar proposal.
- A panel module guarantee that your solar PV panels remain functional.
- An Enphase microinverter guarantee that your system’s microinverters perform without error.
The right products for your home will depend on your energy needs, but ADT comes armed with some of the best solar panel and backup battery options on the market. Sunpro’s PV installations are mostly equipped by brands like LG and Panasonic — companies known for making products with exceptional longevity and quality at an affordable price.
ADT also offers both the Tesla Powerwall 2 and the Enphase Encharge 10, two of the best solar battery options on the market. Despite ADT carrying a mix of brands for its panels and storage systems, the company chooses products that are compatible with each other. For instance, LG panels are known to work well in nearly any solar configuration.
ADT Solar Installation Process
Outlining its process in just three steps, ADT strives to make solar installations as simple and easy as possible. Relative to its competitors, Sunpro’s process is more simple, but this can come at the cost of customizing the look and functionality of your system.
An average ADT customer can expect the installation process to look a little more like this:
- Evaluation: To kick off the process, one of Sunpro’s solar consultants will visit and evaluate your home to determine if it’s the right fit for solar. If eligible, ADT will send a quote and rendering of your home’s proposed system. Make sure your proposal outlines any local incentives or solar tax exemptions available in your area.
- Obtain permits and approvals: Once you’ve approved the plans and signed the paperwork, ADT will handle the details of obtaining your permits and approvals. Most solar installations will require a city permit, and some may require a net metering agreement to ensure a safe installation and that you can sell any surplus energy back to your local utility company.
- System installation: After all permits and approvals are secured, ADT Solar will install your system. Most installations are complete within one to three business days, depending on their complexity. Before you can turn the system on, both the city inspector and local utility need to issue permission to operate (PTO). ADT will schedule all required inspections before assisting you in getting your system up and running.
ADT Solar Costs and Financing
It’s challenging to estimate the average cost of solar for a provider, as prices depend on your location, home and energy goals. We do know that Sunpro offered fairly competitive prices, but local installers may quote just below ADT to get a leg up on the competition. This is another reason we encourage our readers to get several quotes from competing companies.
Unlike other industry leaders like Sunrun and SunPower, ADT does not offer a lease option. This excludes a small number of homeowners interested in solar, but ultimately ADT encourages purchases so that customers can secure the best value for their time and money.
ADT offers standard solar financing plans for its customers, all backed by the company’s 25-year guarantee.
- Full purchase: You own the system and the energy it produces. Purchasing solar panels is the ideal way to go solar. When you purchase panels, you buy the solar equipment from ADT in cash. Think of this as paying for 25 years worth of energy upfront, only for far less than you’d pay if you stuck it out with your local utility.
- Monthly loan: You own the system and pay for it with a loan. ADT can help you secure a solar loan to fund the purchase of your solar panels. Loans require monthly payments and vary in interest rates based on credit scores and loan terms. Payback periods can range from five to 12 years depending on these factors. With a monthly loan, you still own the system outright, which adds to property value, allows you to claim the federal solar tax credit and provides a far greater return on investment than leasing panels.
ADT Solar Reviews
There are bound to be mixed reviews for any company with over 25,000 clients. And even more now that the brand has been acquired by a security company. Let’s take a look at what real Sunpro customers had to say — both positive and negative — to see what ADT customers may be in store for.
Positive Sunpro Reviews
Sunpro Solar reviews from happy customers mostly describe a “set it and forget it” solar project: simple plans, a quick installation and a product performing just as it was advertised.
“Great company! I had my solar installed a couple months ago. Everyone and everything was great and went very smoothly. They kept in contact with everything that was going on the entire time. Now I have a new roof, a nice tax credit and a practically non-existent light bill!” — Jeremy via BBB
“Everything went as promised and on time. All the people were friendly and courteous. I am having no problems with the installation and service.” — Thom via Google Reviews
Negative Sunpro Reviews
Solar, like any business, runs on sales. And Sunpro’s sales consultants work on commission. That’s why it’s important to find an installer that you can trust to keep you satisfied well after the papers are signed. Solar can be a very challenging issue for homeowners to troubleshoot, and most negative Sunpro Solar reviews stem from customers experiencing issues after the sale was made. Here are a few examples.
“I pretty much have the same complaints as most others. I’d warn all to not waste your time or money with this company. They install the panels very quickly in order to get their money from the lending company. But once they receive their money, you are on your own. They never keep in contact to update you on the status of the activation of the panels. They are not honest at all in the entire process.” — Sean via BBB
“I was satisfied when I first got the solar panels installed. However, when I call now to get my panels serviced — as I have 11 panels out of commission — I am being told that it will be awhile… I have yet to get a date that my panels will be serviced. Have not even gotten a call back.” — Sandra via Google Reviews
Final Thoughts on Sunpro Solar
As Sunpro, ADT Solar was a good example of how a solar company should operate; an all-encompassing 25-year warranty, high-quality solar panels and good customer service. Sunpro has helped tens of thousands of homeowners discover the benefits of modern solar energy by keeping its business and installation process simple. We’d like to see better results from its customer service department, however, which is something ADT can improve on.
If you do go with ADT Solar, the chances are that you’ll receive a quick, simple and effective solar solution that works for at least 25 years. We noticed most issues arise on the rare occasions that installations don’t go smoothly. Whether a minor issue like your inverter not connecting to your network or a major issue like a faulty panel, a comprehensive 25-year warranty only does so much good if you can’t get your provider to call you back.
Overall, we happily recommend ADT Solar to our readers, but be sure you only sign a contract from a sales rep you trust. Leave no stone unturned in asking questions prior to the sale to make sure your consultant is knowledgeable and will field any of your concerns after you sign a contract. Solar is a significant investment, and you should feel confident in your decision.
|ADT Solar Pros||ADT Solar Cons|
|Large service area||Reported communication issues after sale|
|Strong warranty||No lease options|
|Excellent customer service||No online estimates or consultations|
|High quality of products|
Solar Energy Provider Comparison
Now that you know what ADT Solar reviews have to say, let’s compare the provider to a couple of other well-known national solar companies:
|Services Offered||Solar panel installation, battery installation, monitoring||Solar panel installation, battery installation, monitoring, maintenance||Solar panel installation, battery installation, monitoring|
|Service Areas||AZ, AR, CA, FL, GA, IL, IA, KS, LA, MS, MO, NE, NV, NM, NC, OH, OK, SC, TN, TX, VA||AZ, CA, CO, CT, FL, HI, IL, MD, MA, NV, NH, NJ, NM, NY, PA, RI, SC, TX, VT, WI, Puerto Rico and Washington D.C.||All 50 States|
|Payment Options||Cash, loan||Cash, loan, lease, PPA||Cash, loan, lease|
|Learn More||Sunrun Review||SunPower Review|
FAQ: ADT Solar
Here are the most common questions we get about Sunpro and ADT Solar. If you have specific questions that aren’t answered here, reach out to our team of solar experts at email@example.com.
Sunpro was a legitimate solar company performing solar and energy storage installations in 21 states. Sunpro carried out over 25,000 installations throughout the country before being acquired by ADT in 2021.
Sunpro installs mostly LG solar panels and is a platinum tier installer of the LG partner program. LG believes solar panels should be made in-house and manufactures all of its panels in its facilities in Gumi, South Korea, and Huntsville, Alabama.
There are many different opinions about the most reputable solar company. Sunpro, Sunrun and SunPower frequently lead lists of top solar companies, but ultimately, the best company for you depends on your needs.
ADT Solar currently offers services in 21 states, including Arizona, Arkansas, California, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Iowa, Kansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Missouri, Nebraska, Nevada, New Mexico, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas and Virginia.