The cucumber is a fruit that often gets overlooked. Like its friend the tomato, it isn’t sweet, it isn’t fancy, but it can do amazing things for your body. Cucumbers contain an incredible amount of vitamins and minerals that are essential for optimal health.
Ever wonder where the expression 'cool as a cucumber' comes from? Photo courtesy of Shutterstock
Here is a list of why you should be eating more cucumbers:
Cucumbers contain a compound called sterols, which can help reduce your bad cholesterol.
Helps Keep the Mouth Clean
If you have bad breath or have trouble maintaining oral health, you should definitely be eating more cucumbers. The juice from cucumbers can heal diseased gums and will leave your mouth feeling refreshed. Try putting a slice of cucumber in your water for a great taste and clean breath.
Naturally Boosts Energy
Instead of guzzling things like Gatorade, try cucumber juice. Cucumbers contain a large amount of B vitamins and will give you that wide-eyed, energetic feeling, naturally.
Soothes the Eyes
Spas don’t do it for show; putting cucumbers on your eyes really does reduce puffiness, dark circles and bags.
Aids Weight Loss
Cucumbers are made up of 95 percent water. Add that to the fact that they contain a lot of dietary fiber, plus help rid the body of toxins, and you’ve got an ideal food to help you lose unwanted weight.
Promotes Joint Health
Silica is known to strengthen connective tissue which is why it is so great for joint health. Cucumbers a great source of silica so if you suffer from gout or arthritis, combining cucumbers with carrot juice can do wonders for your pain. The combination lowers uric acid levels, thus providing much needed relief.
Provides Skin Care
Ever wonder where the expression cool as a cucumber comes from? Actually I didn’t either, but it may be because if you place cucumber on sunburned or irritated skin, the cucumber releases cooling properties and will soothe the skin. The cucumber also contains minerals that are essential to good skin like magnesium, potassium and silicon.
Steadies Blood Pressure
This green fruit is a multi-tasker and can handle both high and low blood pressure. Since cucumbers contain potassium, magnesium and fiber, they can regulate blood pressure excellently.
Cucumbers not only cool the outside of you, they cool the inside of you. If you have heartburn, try drinking cucumber juice to cool your insides.
Yes you read that right. If you haven’t realized by now, cucumbers contain an extreme amount of vitamins and minerals. They also contain natural sugars and electrolytes which help your body replenish the nutrients that are taken away by a night of heavy drinking. Next time you have a little too much fun, before going to bed, chow down on some cucumber and you’ll notice that you will feel much better than you normally would have.
Contains Cancer Fighters
There are three important lignans (lariciresinol, pinoresinol and secoisolariciresinol) contained in cucumbers that have been researched and studied for years in relation to cancer prevention.
There you have it. The cucumber may be one of the most versatile foods out there and can benefit you in a plethora of ways. Try eating them with a little lime juice and salt as an afternoon snack. Home-grown garden cucumbers, even better!
This article is reposted with permission from Eco News Network.
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE
- Mangroves Threatened by Sea Level Rise Could Disappear by ... ›
- Louisiana Faces Faster Levels of Sea-Level Rise Than Any Other ... ›
- Worst Case Sea Level Rise by Century's End Could Be Doubled ... ›
EcoWatch Daily Newsletter
By Greta Thunberg
- Greta Thunberg calls for urgent action to address the climate and ecological crisis.
- She reminds the world of the promises made to children and grandchildren — a promise they expect to be kept.
- The proposals being discussed and presented at the moment are 'very far from being enough.'
In 2010, world leaders agreed to 20 targets to protect Earth's biodiversity over the next decade. By 2020, none of them had been met. Now, the question is whether the world can do any better once new targets are set during the meeting of the UN Convention on Biodiversity in Kunming, China later this year.
- Ocean Scientists Create Global Network to Help Save Biodiversity ... ›
- 5 Reasons Why Biodiversity Matters - EcoWatch ›
- 26 Organizations Working to Conserve Seed Biodiversity - EcoWatch ›
- The Top 10 Ocean Biodiversity Hotspots to Protect - EcoWatch ›
- New Platform Shows How to Protect Biodiversity and Save Planet ... ›
- These Scientists Are Listening to the Borneo Rainforest to Protect ... ›
By Andrew Rosenberg
The first 24 hours of the administration of President Joe Biden were filled not only with ceremony, but also with real action. Executive orders and other directives were quickly signed. More actions have followed. All consequential. Many provide a basis for not just undoing actions of the previous administration, but also making real advances in public policy to protect public health, safety, and the environment.
- Here Are Biden's Day One Actions on Climate and Environment ... ›
- UCS Offers Science Advice for Biden Administration - EcoWatch ›
A first-of-its-kind study has examined the satellite record to see how the climate crisis is impacting all of the planet's ice.
- 'Ghost Forests' Are an Eerie Sign of Sea-Level Rise - EcoWatch ›
- Sea-Level Rise Takes Business Toll in North Carolina's Outer Banks ... ›
- Sea Level Rise Is Locked in Even If We Meet Paris Agreement ... ›