Trump Makes Feather-Ruffling Remarks About Renewables
By Climate Denier Roundup
"The wind kills all your birds. All your birds, killed. You know, the environmentalists never talk about that," Trump reportedly said.
Actually, environmentalists do talk about that, especially when they're forced to rebuff bird-brained arguments by repeat deniers.
An estimated 970 million birds crash into buildings annually. By comparison, wind turbines kill approximately 500,000 birds a year, according to the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. A 2013 study found that fossil fuel plants "pose a much greater threat to birds and avian wildlife than wind farms."
Trump also said that solar is "so expensive" and "not working so good." It seems that Trump decided to wing it instead of actually checking the facts, because according to Solar Energy Industries Association, the cost of solar has actually fallen 70 percent in the past 10 years and rooftop solar is already at grid parity in 20 states. The U.S. also reached the milestone of one million solar installations nationwide in May, so we'd say it's working pretty well.
Honestly, we're a little surprised Trump is even worried about the birds, considering he's run a-fowl of them before!
Carbon dioxide levels in the atmosphere hit a new record in 2019 and have continued climbing this year, despite lockdowns and other measures to curb the pandemic, the World Meteorological Organization (WMO) said on Monday, citing preliminary data.
- 13 Must-Read Climate Change Reports for 2020 - EcoWatch ›
- Large Methane Leaks Soar 32% Despite Lockdowns and Green ... ›
EcoWatch Daily Newsletter
These black-and-white lizards could be the punchline of a joke, except the situation is no laughing matter.
By Isabella Garcia
September in Portland, Oregon, usually brings a slight chill to the air and an orange tinge to the leaves. This year, it brought smoke so thick it burned your throat and made your eyes strain to see more than 20 feet in front of you.
- 16 Essential Books About Environmental Justice, Racism and Activism ›
- 7 Devastating Photos of Wildfires in California, Oregon and ... ›
- Several West Coast Cities Have the World's Worst Air - EcoWatch ›
- Extremely Rare Leopard Cubs Born in Connecticut Zoo - EcoWatch ›
- Small Wild Cats Face Big Threats Including Lack of Conservation ... ›
- 5 Species Bouncing Back From the Brink of Extinction - EcoWatch ›