A new study from the Harvard University T.H. Chan School of Public Health has found that the natural gas piped into homes for cooking and heating actually contains toxic volatile organic compounds, including chemicals linked to cancer. Research from the Center for Climate, Health, and the Global Environment at Harvard (C-CHANGE) in collaboration with PSE […]
Many governments, companies, organizations, and individuals are working to help limit global warming to 1.5°C by minimizing carbon footprints and reducing carbon dioxide emissions. But a new study warns that failure to reduce emissions across the board, including methane, hydrofluorocarbons, soot, and other short-lived climate pollutants will cause humanity to miss not only the 1.5°C […]
According to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), in 2018, paper and cardboard were the largest components of municipal solid waste in the United States with citizens throwing away a total of 67.4 million tons a year. Around 68 percent of that was recycled, while the other 32 percent was either incinerated or left in […]
A new gas-industry front group has emerged in Colorado to undermine the transition to truly renewable energy. The group, Coloradans for Energy Access, announced itself with an op-ed in the Colorado Sun in January. In the op-ed, the group railed against “forced electrification,” otherwise known as the movement to build new homes and commercial spaces […]
The plume stretched more than 56 miles across Louisiana and was the most severe concentration of methane found by satellites in the U.S. since October. Geoanalytics firm Kayrros SAS estimates an emissions rate of 105 tons of methane per hour was needed to generate the plume, which could have the same short-term climate impact as […]
The Biden Administration announced new actions Monday to tackle methane pollution. The measures include $1.15 billion in funds from the Department of the Interior that states can use to close up abandoned oil and gas wells.
Gas stoves emit methane even when they are not in use, a new study has found, and this makes them a bigger contributor to the climate crisis than previously believed. The research, published in Environmental Science & Technology Thursday, concluded that the annual methane emissions from gas stoves in the U.S. are equivalent to about […]
As the largest oil-producing region in the U.S., the Permian Basin in Texas and New Mexico is already a nightmare from a climate perspective. But now a new report from Carbon Mapper and Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) reveals that oil and gas facilities in the area are emitting unnecessary greenhouse gas emissions in the form […]
The last seven years have been the seven hottest years on record. That’s according to an annual analysis from the EU’s Copernicus Climate Change Service, which also announced that 2021 was the fifth warmest year on record.