For the first time, Democratic contenders for President participated in a town hall solely focused on the climate crisis. For more than seven hours last night, 10 candidates fielded questions from an audience of Democratic voters and from CNN's moderators.
- Kamala Harris Becomes Latest 2020 Dem to Support a Green New ... ›
- Elizabeth Warren Adopts $3 Trillion Climate Crisis Plan, Challenges ... ›
By Julia Conley
Though she has yet to unveil a climate action plan as part of her presidential campaign, Sen. Kamala Harris on Monday signaled her intent to keep low-income communities at the forefront of any efforts to stem the climate crisis.
- Senate Dems Vote 'Present' on Green New Deal to Foil McConnell's ... ›
- Ocasio-Cortez Fires Back at Trump Over Green New Deal - EcoWatch ›
EcoWatch Daily Newsletter
Kamala Harris on Monday became the latest Democratic presidential contender to back a Green New Deal, in what has become a "litmus test" for 2020 hopefuls, according to the youth-led Sunrise Movement that helped launch the ambitious economic and climate proposal.
"I support a Green New Deal and I will tell you why," the California Senator said during a CNN town hall in Iowa. "Climate change is an existential threat and we have got to deal with the reality of it."
- 81% of Voters Support a Green New Deal, Survey Finds - EcoWatch ›
- 1,000+ Youth Activists Storm Capitol to Demand Green New Deal - EcoWatch ›