By Jan Zuckerman
A few weeks ago, I showed the world that I am not a criminal, despite having been arrested and charged with first-degree criminal trespass. In a five to one vote, a Multnomah County, Oregon, jury refused to convict me and four fellow activists in our historic trial for blocking tar sands oil trains entering Portland.
- Extinction Rebellion Portland - XR PDX - Home | Facebook ›
- Oregon Jury Refuses to Convict Extinction Rebellion Portland ... ›
- Native Americans gather in Portland to protest oil sands shipments ... ›
- City Of Portland To Host Forum On Zenith Tar Sands Terminal ... ›
- Protesters block train track near NW Portland oil export terminal ... ›
EcoWatch Daily Newsletter
60,000-Strong Fridays for Future Protest in Hamburg, Germany Prompts Question: 'Where Are You, USA?'
By Andrea Germanos
U.S.-based youth climate activists on Friday drew attention to the climate protest in Hamburg, Germany, where organizers said roughly 60,000 people took part, and hoped that Americans took inspiration from their European counterparts.
- No Country Is Protecting Children's Health, Major Study Finds ... ›
- Joaquin Phoenix, Martin Sheen Arrested at Jane Fonda's Final DC ... ›
- Climate Activists Outraged as Siemens Backs Adani Coal Mining ... ›
- Youth Climate Activists Storm COP25 Stage - EcoWatch ›
- Fridays for Future Climate Strikers Are Back on the Streets - EcoWatch ›
- Australia, Your Country Is Burning — Dangerous Climate Change Is ... ›
- Australia Sets New Record High for Emissions Pollution - EcoWatch ›
'The Law Is on Our Side': Extinction Rebellion Celebrates Dropped Charges Against 105 Climate Activists
By Jessica Corbett
Extinction Rebellion and its supporters celebrated Wednesday after the agency that conducts criminal prosecutions in England dropped charges against 105 activists who were arrested in London last month for participating in the environmental movement's "Autumn Uprising" actions.
- Extinction Rebellion Stages 'Die-In' at Iconic Wall Street Bull Statue ... ›
- Extinction Rebellion Returns to UK Streets ›
The crowd appears to attack a protestor in a video shared on Twitter by ITV journalist Mahatir Pasha. VOA News / Youtube screenshot
Some London commuters had a violent reaction Thursday morning when Extinction Rebellion protestors attempted to disrupt train service during rush hour.
- UK Parliament First in World to Declare Climate Emergency ... ›
- 1,000+ Arrested as Extinction Rebellion Protests in London Enter ... ›
- Extinction Rebellion Banned in London - EcoWatch ›
Protestors in New York City expressed their dismay with the government's and big businesses' slow response to the climate crisis by pouring fake blood on themselves and the iconic charging bull statue near Wall Street on Monday. Nearly 100 people were arrested in New York as part of Extinction Rebellion's worldwide two weeks of climate protests, according to the New York New York Daily News.
- 70 Arrested at Extinction Rebellion Protest Demanding More Urgent ... ›
- The Radical Philosophy of Extinction Rebellion - EcoWatch ›
- Extinction Rebellion Blocks Berlin Traffic in Worldwide Day of Protests ›
Climate activists from Extinction Rebellion (XR) blocked roads around Berlin's Victory Column near the Brandenburg Gate early on Monday morning as the first wave of demonstrations in a day of "civil disobedience" got underway in the German capital.
Extinction Rebellion made their presence felt in Berlin, setting up camp in front of the Reichstag over the weekend.
By Jessica Corbett
British pop rock band The 1975 released the first track of their forthcoming album Wednesday, which features Swedish teen climate activist Greta Thunberg delivering an instrumental-backed speech about the global climate emergency.
By Jeremy Deaton
New York police recently arrested 66 protestors who rallied outside The New York Times building to compel the newspaper to make climate change a front-page issue. The demonstrators belonged to Extinction Rebellion, a movement born in the United Kingdom that is committed to nonviolent resistance. In addition to protesting outside of The New York Times, U.S. members have taken to the streets against Amazon in Seattle and NBC in Los Angeles, calling on those organizations to treat the climate crisis with the seriousness it deserves.
Extinction Rebellion protests outside The New York Times, June 20.
Six Extinction Rebellion protesters were arrested as they blocked off corporations in the UK. The group had increased their actions to week-long nationwide protests.
- Extinction Risk and Rebellion: 15 Environmental Books Coming in ... ›
- 7 Environmentalists Inspiring Climate Action - EcoWatch ›
By Andrea Germanos
French riot police tear-gassed climate protesters in Paris on Friday as the county sweltered under record heat.
Activists with Extinction Rebellion (XR) were occupying a bridge over the Seine to demand the French government declare a climate emergency and take necessary action to avert planetary catastrophe.