The best of EcoWatch, right in your inbox. Sign up for our email newsletter!
Sustainia100: Most Sustainable Solutions in Fashion and Resources
Fashion offers a plethora of opportunities for sustainability, from the materials used to the amount of water and energy used to create clothing.
The Sustainia100 recognizes the best of the best, from Levi & Strauss Co., which has saved millions of liters of waters during production, to Bionic Yarn, a line reinventing fashion with the use of plastic bottles. It's so cool, even Pharrell Williams is on board.
Sustainia’s research team reviewed more than 900 projects in fashion, resources and eight other sectors before selecting the 10-category list of 100. The Sustainia100 Advisory Board consists of 21 sector experts from 11 international research organizations. Take a look at 10 of their selections from fashion and resources, followed by the full list of 20 for those sectors.
- I:Collect (I:CO): Global take-back system for textiles
- CRAiLAR Technologies: Replacing cotton with low-impact flax fiber
- Good World Solutions: Transparency and real-time data for buyers
- Teijin: Perpetual recycling makes used polyester new again
- Bionic Yarn: Recycled plastic bottles reinvent sustainable fashion
- Mud Jeans: Leasing jeans for a circular fashion industry
- Atlantic Leather: Turning food waste into exotic leather
- Levi Strauss & Co.: Water recycling in denim production
- GOONJ: Used clothing as a currency for development
- Sustainable Pearls: Pearl farms fostering marine conservation and social enterprise
- Ecor and Noble Environmental Technologies Corp.: Construction products made from natural waste
- Zilok: Platform for sharing products with peers
- Give Back Box: Prepaid shipping for donations
- gNappies and gDiapers: Biodegradable diapers reducing waste
- Orbital Systems: Shower system recycles and cleans water
- Cambrian Innovation: Water treatment plant producing renewable energy
- Replenish: Reusable bottle system for cleaning products
- Newlight Technologies: Carbon-negative plastic
- TNF Ecopapers and EARTH University: Paper made from banana plants and old textbooks
- Bio-on: Biodegradable Plastic from Waste Materials
EcoWatch Daily Newsletter
By Jason Bittel
High up in the mountains of Montana's Glacier National Park, there are two species of insect that only a fly fishermen or entomologist would probably recognize. Known as stoneflies, these aquatic bugs are similar to dragonflies and mayflies in that they spend part of their lives underwater before emerging onto the land, where they transform into winged adults less than a half inch long. However, unlike those other species, stoneflies do their thing only where cold, clean waters flow.
By Bob Curley
- The new chicken sandwiches at McDonald's, Popeyes, and Chick-fil-A all contain the MSG flavor enhancement chemical.
- Experts say MSG can enhance the so-called umami flavor of a food.
- The ingredient is found in everything from Chinese food and pizza to prepackaged sandwiches and table sauces.
McDonald's wants to get in on the chicken sandwich war currently being waged between Popeyes and Chick-fil-A.
By Andrea Germanos
Youth climate activists marched through the streets of Davos, Switzerland Friday as the World Economic Forum wrapped up in a Fridays for Future demonstration underscoring their demand that the global elite act swiftly to tackle the climate emergency.
By Tim Radford
The year is less than four weeks old, but scientists already know that carbon dioxide emissions will continue to head upwards — as they have every year since measurements began — leading to a continuation of the Earth's rising heat.