Sustainia100: Most Sustainable Solutions in Fashion and Resources
Editor’s note: This is the sixth and final part in a series on the various aspects of the Sustainia100. Here are parts one, two, three, four and five.
Fashion offers a plethora of opportunities for sustainability, from the materials used to the amount of water and energy used to create clothing.
The Sustainia100 recognizes the best of the best, from Levi & Strauss Co., which has saved millions of liters of waters during production, to Bionic Yarn, a line reinventing fashion with the use of plastic bottles. It’s so cool, even Pharrell Williams is on board.
Sustainia’s research team reviewed more than 900 projects in fashion, resources and eight other sectors before selecting the 10-category list of 100. The Sustainia100 Advisory Board consists of 21 sector experts from 11 international research organizations. Take a look at 10 of their selections from fashion and resources, followed by the full list of 20 for those sectors.
- I:Collect (I:CO): Global take-back system for textiles
- CRAiLAR Technologies: Replacing cotton with low-impact flax fiber
- Good World Solutions: Transparency and real-time data for buyers
- Teijin: Perpetual recycling makes used polyester new again
- Bionic Yarn: Recycled plastic bottles reinvent sustainable fashion
- Mud Jeans: Leasing jeans for a circular fashion industry
- Atlantic Leather: Turning food waste into exotic leather
- Levi Strauss & Co.: Water recycling in denim production
- GOONJ: Used clothing as a currency for development
- Sustainable Pearls: Pearl farms fostering marine conservation and social enterprise
- Ecor and Noble Environmental Technologies Corp.: Construction products made from natural waste
- Zilok: Platform for sharing products with peers
- Give Back Box: Prepaid shipping for donations
- gNappies and gDiapers: Biodegradable diapers reducing waste
- Orbital Systems: Shower system recycles and cleans water
- Cambrian Innovation: Water treatment plant producing renewable energy
- Replenish: Reusable bottle system for cleaning products
- Newlight Technologies: Carbon-negative plastic
- TNF Ecopapers and EARTH University: Paper made from banana plants and old textbooks
- Bio-on: Biodegradable Plastic from Waste Materials