Sustainia100: Most Sustainable Solutions in Fashion and Resources
Fashion offers a plethora of opportunities for sustainability, from the materials used to the amount of water and energy used to create clothing.
The Sustainia100 recognizes the best of the best, from Levi & Strauss Co., which has saved millions of liters of waters during production, to Bionic Yarn, a line reinventing fashion with the use of plastic bottles. It's so cool, even Pharrell Williams is on board.
Sustainia’s research team reviewed more than 900 projects in fashion, resources and eight other sectors before selecting the 10-category list of 100. The Sustainia100 Advisory Board consists of 21 sector experts from 11 international research organizations. Take a look at 10 of their selections from fashion and resources, followed by the full list of 20 for those sectors.
- I:Collect (I:CO): Global take-back system for textiles
- CRAiLAR Technologies: Replacing cotton with low-impact flax fiber
- Good World Solutions: Transparency and real-time data for buyers
- Teijin: Perpetual recycling makes used polyester new again
- Bionic Yarn: Recycled plastic bottles reinvent sustainable fashion
- Mud Jeans: Leasing jeans for a circular fashion industry
- Atlantic Leather: Turning food waste into exotic leather
- Levi Strauss & Co.: Water recycling in denim production
- GOONJ: Used clothing as a currency for development
- Sustainable Pearls: Pearl farms fostering marine conservation and social enterprise
- Ecor and Noble Environmental Technologies Corp.: Construction products made from natural waste
- Zilok: Platform for sharing products with peers
- Give Back Box: Prepaid shipping for donations
- gNappies and gDiapers: Biodegradable diapers reducing waste
- Orbital Systems: Shower system recycles and cleans water
- Cambrian Innovation: Water treatment plant producing renewable energy
- Replenish: Reusable bottle system for cleaning products
- Newlight Technologies: Carbon-negative plastic
- TNF Ecopapers and EARTH University: Paper made from banana plants and old textbooks
- Bio-on: Biodegradable Plastic from Waste Materials
Plus, learn if there's one that's best for your health.
By Jason Bittel
My wife and I built a house two years ago on a few acres of woodland outside of Pittsburgh. The backyard is full of maples, poplars, briars and common spicebush. Two-lined salamanders and grumpy-looking crayfish wade among the rocks in the small stream that runs down the edge of the property. Deer, raccoon and opossum tracks appear regularly in the snow and mud. Sometimes, my trail-cam even catches a pair of gray foxes as they slink through the night.
By Kate Murphy
No matter the time of year, there's always a point in each season when my skin decides to cause me issues. While these skin issues can vary, I find the most common issues to be dryness, acne and redness.
David Woodfall / The Image Bank / Getty Images
By Sam Nickerson
Now, correspondence obtained by the LA Times revealed just how deeply involved industry lobbyists and a controversial, industry-funded toxicologist were in drafting the federal agency's proposal to scrap its current, protective approach to regulating toxin exposure.
February 22 is the birthday of conservationist and beloved TV personality "Crocodile Hunter" Steve Irwin, who would have been 57 years old today.
Irwin's life was tragically cut short when the barb from a stingray went through his chest while he was filming in 2006, but his legacy of loving and protecting wildlife lives on, most recently in a Google Doodle today honoring his birthday.