Solar Panel Cost Guide in Merton, WI (Jan 2023)
- Merton Solar Installation Cost: $13,140
- 25-Year Savings: $26,332
- Payback Period: 8.3 Years
See cost of a solar system near you:
Please enter a valid 5-digit zip code!
Why you can trust EcoWatch
Top Solar Installers in Merton
Do-it-yourself solar panel installation is a possibility, but it's an undertaking that can take a lot of hard work. Taking advantage of a solar panel installer can make your switch to solar power much easier. Also, companies with a high reputation that are more expensive upfront could actually save you money in the long term because of their warranties, repair services and expert design.
If you'd like to start using solar energy but still aren't sure which solar panel company to go with, here are our suggestions for providers near you:
See all of the solar companies in Merton
Factors that Affect Solar Panel Costs in Merton
There are many factors that can influence your solar system installation cost, such as the size of your system, the equipment you choose, your financing options and the specific company that performs the installation.
When it comes to estimating the cost of a solar system in Merton, one of the most crucial factors is the size of the system you need. Solar systems are sized by kilowatts (kW) and are largely based on your home's energy usage, which you can determine by looking at past power bills. Your total cost can increase by around $2,600 for each additional kilowatt you need. Some solar brands — like Maxeon from SunPower — are more expensive upfront but also tend to offer higher efficiency. In a city like Merton, where sunlight is relatively abundant, efficiency can quickly pay off. Plus, if you have a small roof or limited space for your panels, higher efficiency options will be a better option. Additional equipment like electric vehicle chargers and solar batteries will also increase the cost.
Solar Financing Terms
If paying for a solar system out of pocket is out of reach, solar loans are an affordable option because they decrease your upfront costs and allow you to pay for your system over five to seven years on average. You'll have to consider the long-term cost of financing options, including the amount of interest you'll pay over the length of the loan. If you can only get a high-interest loan, then your total can be hundreds or even thousands of dollars above the equipment and labor cost. Making a larger down payment or securing a solar loan with a low APR could reduce your costs significantly.
Solar Panel Installation Company
The remaining key cost factor you should keep in mind is the installer you choose. Given the booming popularity of sustainable energy solutions in Merton, you'll have many options to choose from, but each comes at various price points for labor and equipment. The size of the company sometimes plays the most considerable role in your costs. Larger national companies, like SunPro and Sunrun, often have lower prices because of access to more resources and better pricing. Smaller local companies might be more costly, but they generally have better customer service and more customization options, and the occasional sale or discount can bring their pricing down to compete with bigger companies.
Solar Panel Cost Data by System Size
|System size||Cost per system watt||Solar system cost||25-Year savings||Payback period|
|6 kW||$2.70||$11,357||$21,426||8.7 years|
|8 kW||$2.65||$14,851||$28,860||8.5 years|
|10 kW||$2.60||$18,200||$36,438||8.3 years|
|12 kW||$2.55||$21,403||$44,163||8.2 years|
|14 kW||$2.50||$24,461||$52,033||8.0 years|
|16 kW||$2.44||$27,373||$60,049||7.8 years|
|18 kW||$2.39||$30,139||$68,210||7.7 years|
|20 kW||$2.34||$32,760||$76,517||7.5 years|
How to Save on Solar Panels
There are a lot of solar installers to choose from, all of which offer different warranties, solar panel models and price points. To help you find the right company for you, here are some tips to keep in mind:
- Warranty: An all-inclusive, long-term warranty can help keep your solar panel system running for years to come and save you money on repairs and maintenance.
- Reputation: The North American Board of Certified Energy Practitioners (NABCEP) is a respected certification organization for sustainable energy professionals. If your solar panel installer is NABCEP-certified, it most likely has a good reputation and is qualified to do the job well. Another way you can look into your installer's reputation is by reading reviews.
- Solar Panel Brands: Homeowners will have different preferences for panels based on their roof configurations and energy needs. Although there are many options for which type of solar panel you can get, not every company will have the exact one you may want or need, so make sure you take a look at their list of options before deciding.
- Contract: Even though reading through a contract can take a lot of time, it's important to do it carefully so you can be sure you understand what services your solar company will provide and the terms of the warranty.
EcoWatch's Merton, WI Solar Cost FAQs
Our goal is to reach as many people as we can with sensible solutions like solar energy. Our team of full-time local researchers collects solar price and installation data for every city in America then compiles it to create these digestible city guides. If you want to read our solar expert's opinion on the top solar companies featured here, follow this link.