Solar Panel Cost Guide in Virginia Beach, VA (Jan 2023)
- Virginia Beach Solar Installation Cost: $13,822
- 25-Year Savings: $22,382
- Payback Period: 9.5 Years
See cost of a solar system near you:
Please enter a valid 5-digit zip code!
Why you can trust EcoWatch
Top Solar Installers in Virginia Beach
Installing solar panels by yourself can be a dangerous task, which is why getting a solar installer is a good option for many homeowners. Some solar installers, particularly local ones, can help you better understand incentives in Virginia Beach, therefore optimizing your ROI.
If you're looking for a solar installer in Virginia Beach, the EcoWatch team has put together a list of our top suggestions here:
See all of the solar companies in Virginia Beach
Factors that Affect Solar Panel Costs in Virginia Beach
There are several criteria that can play into your installation cost, such as the size of your system, the equipment you choose, your financing options and the specific company that installs your solar system.
When it comes to estimating the price of a solar system in Virginia Beach, one of the most important factors is the size of the system you need. Solar systems are sized by kilowatts (kW) and are chiefly based on your home's energy consumption, which you can gauge by looking at past electricity bills. Your overall cost can increase by around $2,750 for each additional kilowatt you need. Some solar brands — like Maxeon from SunPower — cost more upfront but also tend to offer better efficiency. In a city like Virginia Beach, where sunlight is abundant, efficiency can quickly pay off. Plus, if you have a small roof or limited space for your panels, higher efficiency options will be a better option. Additional equipment like electric vehicle chargers and solar batteries will also increase the cost.
Solar Financing Terms
For some homeowners, paying for solar out of pocket can be difficult. Solar loans are provided by most installers in Virginia Beach, which can reduce, or in some cases eliminate, your upfront costs to make solar more accessible. You'll have to consider the long-term cost of loans, including the total interest you'll pay over the length of the loan. If you're only able to get a high-interest loan, then your total can be hundreds or even thousands of dollars more than the original cost. Making a larger down payment or getting a solar loan with a low interest rate could reduce your costs remarkably.
Solar Panel Installation Company
The solar installer you hire to handle your switch to solar energy can have an effect on your total costs. There are about 3 solar installation companies in Virginia Beach, and each can charge different amounts for labor and equipment. Additionally, some companies in Virginia Beach have more knowledge about local solar incentives and can help you learn about additional rebates or tax exemptions. However, they may charge more for that service. Even if they cost more upfront, they could end up saving you more money in the long run.
Solar Panel Cost Data by System Size
|System size||Cost per system watt||Solar system cost||25-Year savings||Payback period|
|6 kW||$2.86||$12,012||$18,225||9.9 years|
|8 kW||$2.81||$15,708||$24,608||9.7 years|
|10 kW||$2.75||$19,250||$31,145||9.5 years|
|12 kW||$2.69||$22,638||$37,836||9.4 years|
|14 kW||$2.64||$25,872||$44,681||9.2 years|
|16 kW||$2.58||$28,952||$51,680||9.0 years|
|18 kW||$2.53||$31,878||$58,833||8.8 years|
|20 kW||$2.48||$34,650||$66,140||8.6 years|
How to Save on Solar Panels
The company that does your system installation will affect the warranties and brands you have access to, and it will also have an impact on your total cost. Because selecting a company can be a challenge, we have some tips to help you, such as:
- Reputation: Your solar installer should have a solid reputation as a company and have proven expertise in the field. Two ways to check this are to look for whether a company has technicians that hold a certification from the North American Board of Certified Energy Practitioners (NABCEP) and if it has satisfied reviews from previous customers.
- Contract: Though reading through a contract can be tedious, it's important to do it thoroughly so you can be sure you understand what services your solar company will provide and the terms of the warranty.
- Warranty: Warranties that provide coverage for panel repairs and maintenance over around 25 years are the gold standard in the business, and offering such a warranty is one sign of a quality company.
- Solar Panel Brands: Each solar panel brand and model has varying levels of quality, longevity and efficiency. They will come at different prices as well. The company you choose affects which solar panel brands you have access to.
EcoWatch's Virginia Beach, VA Solar Cost FAQs
Our goal is to reach as many people as we can with sensible solutions like solar energy. Our team of full-time local researchers collects solar price and installation data for every city in America then compiles it to create these digestible city guides. If you want to read our solar expert's opinion on the top solar companies featured here, follow this link.