Solar Panel Cost Guide in Suffolk, VA (Feb 2023)
- Suffolk Solar Installation Cost: $14,553
- 25-Year Savings: $21,064
- Payback Period: 10.2 Years
See cost of a solar system near you:
Please enter a valid 5-digit zip code!
Why you can trust EcoWatch
Top Solar Installers in Suffolk
Although it's possible to install solar panels on your own, it takes extra energy and handiness. For that reason, almost all homeowners choose a solar panel installer. The payback period on a solar system will vary depending on factors like your location and energy usage, but going with a solar installer can shorten that period. Your provider will be able to help you get the most out of incentives available in your area.
Working with a vetted solar company can help your solar project go smoothly. Here are our recommendations:
See all of the solar companies in Suffolk
Factors that Affect Solar Panel Costs in Suffolk
Cost is usually one of the most important factors for homeowners considering investing in solar. There are a few key factors that affect your total cost in Suffolk: solar equipment and system size, financing options and the solar installation company you choose. We'll cover each of these briefly below.
The size of the solar system you need for your household, which is measured in kilowatts, is the most important cost factor to consider. For every additional kilowatt you need, you can expect your total to increase by about $2,750. The brand and type of equipment you choose for your solar system can raise or lower the price quite significantly. If you prefer a trusted brand name like Tesla or SunPower, these often have a higher price tag than other brands. Efficiency also matters. Whether you're opting for high efficiency because you have limited roof space or just want maximum energy production, you can expect a higher equipment cost, but this can typically lead to more savings over time. Also, if you want extra equipment like an electric vehicle charger or solar batteries, this will also increase the cost.
Solar Financing Terms
Many homeowners find the average cost of solar in Suffolk to be prohibitively steep, even if the investment pays off over time. Thankfully, almost every solar company in the area offers financing options. Solar loans remarkably decrease upfront costs for most homeowners, but they also lead to a higher cost over time due to interest. When trying to figure out your overall cost, you should also calculate the interest you'll pay if you go with a solar loan. Also, paying a higher down payment can reduce the total interest paid over time.
Solar Panel Installation Company
Finally, the company you hire to install your solar panel system can impact how much you pay. Suffolk's solar companies all have different labor costs and add varying upcharges to equipment. Larger national companies generally have lower costs, but some local companies undercut them by offering sales and discounts. While the smaller companies might not have access to specific equipment options like Tesla Powerwall batteries or add-on services like electric vehicle charger installation, they might be cheaper overall.
Solar Panel Cost Data by System Size
|System size||Cost per system watt||Solar system cost||25-Year savings||Payback period|
|6 kW||$2.86||$12,012||$16,243||10.6 years|
|8 kW||$2.81||$15,708||$21,966||10.4 years|
|10 kW||$2.75||$19,250||$27,842||10.2 years|
|12 kW||$2.69||$22,638||$33,873||10.0 years|
|14 kW||$2.64||$25,872||$40,057||9.8 years|
|16 kW||$2.58||$28,952||$46,396||9.6 years|
|18 kW||$2.53||$31,878||$52,888||9.4 years|
|20 kW||$2.48||$34,650||$59,535||9.2 years|
How to Save on Solar Panels
The company that does your solar system installation will affect the warranties and brands available to you, and it will also have an impact on your total cost. Since selecting a company can be a challenge, we have some tips to help you, such as:
- Warranty: A high-quality company stands out from other companies by providing the gold standard warranty — a 25-year, all-inclusive warranty covering parts, labor and performance.
- Reputation: Companies that have been operating for many years likely have a solid reputation. This is important because it ensures that it will not only see your solar installation through, but will also provide adequate aftercare and customer service, such as part repairs and replacements.
- Solar Panel Brands: Homeowners will have different preferences for panels depending on their roof configurations and energy needs. Even though there are many options for which brand of solar panel you can get, not every company will have the exact one you may want or need, so be sure to take a look at their list of offerings before deciding.
- Contract: Though reading through a contract can take a lot of time, it's important to do it fully so you can make sure you understand how much the equipment and services will cost and how part repairs and replacements will be handled.
EcoWatch's Suffolk, VA Solar Cost FAQs
Our goal is to reach as many people as we can with sensible solutions like solar energy. Our team of full-time local researchers collects solar price and installation data for every city in America then compiles it to create these digestible city guides. If you want to read our solar expert's opinion on the top solar companies featured here, follow this link.