Solar Panel Cost Guide in Mount Hermon, VA (Jan 2023)
- Mount Hermon Solar Installation Cost: $14,765
- 25-Year Savings: $23,595
- Payback Period: 9.6 Years
See cost of a solar system near you:
Please enter a valid 5-digit zip code!
Why you can trust EcoWatch
Top Solar Installers in Mount Hermon
Trying to install solar panels by yourself can be a dangerous undertaking, which is why getting a solar installation company is a good option for many homeowners. A solar company can also help save you money over the lifespan of your system by providing warranties, repairs and system component replacements.
Working with a professional solar installer can make going solar easier. Here are our recommendations:
See all of the solar companies in Mount Hermon
Factors that Affect Solar Panel Costs in Mount Hermon
Though the average cost of a solar system in Mount Hermon is $14,765, your actual cost may be above or below the average. There are quite a few factors that can have a significant impact on the cost of a solar panel installation. Below are some of the more crucial things to take into consideration.
One of the most significant factors to consider when it comes to the cost of adopting solar energy is the size of the solar system, which is measured in kilowatts (kW). The more electricity your household consumes, the larger your system will likely need to be. You can expect to spend around $2,750 per kilowatt in Mount Hermon. Some solar panel brands — like Maxeon from SunPower — cost more upfront but also tend to offer higher efficiency. In a city like Mount Hermon, where sunlight is relatively abundant, efficiency can quickly pay off. Also, if you have a small roof or limited space for your panels, higher efficiency options will be more impactful. Additional equipment like electric vehicle chargers and solar batteries will also increase the cost.
Solar Financing Terms
If paying for a solar system out of pocket is difficult, solar loans are an affordable option because they lower your upfront costs and let you pay for your system over five to seven years on average. It's wise to add the interest you'll pay in your final cost estimate. If you can afford to put more money down upfront, you can reduce your total costs and how long it'll take to pay back the loan.
Solar Panel Installation Company
The final key cost factor you should consider is the installer you choose. Given the booming popularity of green energy solutions in Mount Hermon, you'll have plenty of options to choose from, but each comes at varying price points for labor and equipment. Larger national companies typically have lower costs, but some local companies undercut them by promoting sales and discounts. While the smaller companies might not have access to specific equipment options like Tesla Powerwall batteries or extra services like electric vehicle charger installation, they might be cheaper overall.
Solar Panel Cost Data by System Size
|System size||Cost per system watt||Solar system cost||25-Year savings||Payback period|
|6 kW||$2.86||$12,012||$18,004||10.0 years|
|8 kW||$2.81||$15,708||$24,313||9.8 years|
|10 kW||$2.75||$19,250||$30,777||9.6 years|
|12 kW||$2.69||$22,638||$37,394||9.4 years|
|14 kW||$2.64||$25,872||$44,165||9.2 years|
|16 kW||$2.58||$28,952||$51,091||9.0 years|
|18 kW||$2.53||$31,878||$58,170||8.9 years|
|20 kW||$2.48||$34,650||$65,403||8.7 years|
How to Save on Solar Panels
There are a large number of companies available in Mount Hermon, and some homeowners feel overwhelmed considering their options. Choosing the right company for you can be tough, so here are some tips to help you decide:
- Solar Panel Brands: The type of solar panel you need to install plays a role in which company you should opt for, since different companies have access to different panels.
- Warranty: Warranties that cover panel repairs and maintenance over around 25 years are the best you can get in the business, and offering that kind of warranty is one sign of a quality company.
- Contract: Before signing a contract with a solar company, make sure you read it through fully so you understand the terms. Also, ask questions if you're not sure about some of the terms, such as what the warranty covers and what services you can expect from them.
- Reputation: Your solar installer should have a solid reputation as a company and have demonstrated expertise in the field. Two ways to check this are to look for whether a company has technicians certified by the North American Board of Certified Energy Practitioners (NABCEP) and if it has good reviews from previous customers.
EcoWatch's Mount Hermon, VA Solar Cost FAQs
Our goal is to reach as many people as we can with sensible solutions like solar energy. Our team of full-time local researchers collects solar price and installation data for every city in America then compiles it to create these digestible city guides. If you want to read our solar expert's opinion on the top solar companies featured here, follow this link.