Solar Panel Cost Guide in Mclean, VA (Feb 2023)
- Mclean Solar Installation Cost: $15,515
- 25-Year Savings: $20,688
- Payback Period: 10.7 Years
See cost of a solar system near you:
Please enter a valid 5-digit zip code!
Why you can trust EcoWatch
Top Solar Installers in Mclean
Trying to put up solar panels by yourself can be a time-consuming project, which is why getting a solar installation company is a good option for many homeowners. Plus, if you're not certain what type of solar panels and equipment you need, a solar installer can help you figure that out after a site survey and consultation.
If you're searching for a solar company in Mclean, the EcoWatch team has put together a list of our top suggestions here:
See all of the solar companies in Mclean
Factors that Affect Solar Panel Costs in Mclean
The cost of installing a solar system in Mclean can vary by more than $10,000 from home to home. Your actual cost is dependent on several factors. The biggest one is the size of the system your household needs, and other factors include equipment choices, financing options and the solar installer you choose.
The cost of solar panel systems varies by thousands of dollars due to a variety of factors. One of the major factors is the system size, which is measured in kilowatts (kW). Solar power systems with better efficiency or power production use better technology and/or more equipment, both of which can raise costs. For each additional kilowatt you need, your cost can go up by about $2,750. The type of solar panels and equipment you choose is another factor that will considerably impact costs. Solar panels that have higher efficiency, like monocrystalline panels, tend to come at a higher price. Furthermore, solar equipment is more than just the solar panels themselves. You'll also need to make decisions about the kind of racks used to mount the panels, inverters, solar batteries, etc. It's important to take all of this into consideration when looking into a solar system that falls within your budget.
Solar Financing Terms
Most solar installers in Mclean provide solar loans, which reduce the initial cost of installing solar. It's a good idea to factor the interest you'll pay in your final cost estimate. If you can afford to put more money down upfront, you can reduce your total costs and how long it'll take to pay off the loan.
Solar Panel Installation Company
A final factor to keep in mind when trying to figure out the cost of solar for your home or business in Mclean is the company you get to install your solar panel system. As with choosing a company to renovate your kitchen, for example, you'll have no shortage of solar installers that provide a range of services at different price points. Companies that only sell products with high efficiency and therefore a higher price point — like Maxeon solar panels from SunPower or Tesla Powerwall batteries — so choosing those installers will generally come at a higher cost. It's best to do some research and decide on the company that has the products, warranties and services you want and also is within your budget.
Solar Panel Cost Data by System Size
|System size||Cost per system watt||Solar system cost||25-Year savings||Payback period|
|6 kW||$2.86||$12,012||$14,928||11.1 years|
|8 kW||$2.81||$15,708||$20,212||10.9 years|
|10 kW||$2.75||$19,250||$25,650||10.7 years|
|12 kW||$2.69||$22,638||$31,242||10.5 years|
|14 kW||$2.64||$25,872||$36,988||10.3 years|
|16 kW||$2.58||$28,952||$42,888||10.1 years|
|18 kW||$2.53||$31,878||$48,942||9.9 years|
|20 kW||$2.48||$34,650||$55,150||9.6 years|
How to Save on Solar Panels
The solar company you go with will affect not only your overall costs, but also the kinds of solar panel brands, warranties, and other equipment you have access to. When choosing a solar company, there are some important things you should keep in mind, such as:
- Contract: It's important to read through your solar installer's contract well to understand what services they will provide, what the warranty covers and what expectations you should have about the cost.
- Reputation: Your solar installer should have a solid reputation as a company and have proven expertise in the field. A couple of ways to check this are to look for whether a company has technicians certified by the North American Board of Certified Energy Practitioners (NABCEP) and if it has positive reviews from past customers.
- Solar Panel Brands: Each solar panel brand and type has varying levels of quality, longevity and energy efficiency. They will come at different price points as well. The company you choose impacts which solar panel brands you have access to.
- Installation Process: When making the switch to solar power, it's crucial to maintain an open line of communication with your solar panel company. Make sure you understand how the installation process will go and the project completion timeline.
EcoWatch's Mclean, VA Solar Cost FAQs
Our goal is to reach as many people as we can with sensible solutions like solar energy. Our team of full-time local researchers collects solar price and installation data for every city in America then compiles it to create these digestible city guides. If you want to read our solar expert's opinion on the top solar companies featured here, follow this link.