Solar Panel Cost Guide in Alexandria, VA (Feb 2023)
- Alexandria Solar Installation Cost: $15,419
- 25-Year Savings: $20,784
- Payback Period: 10.6 Years
See cost of a solar system near you:
Please enter a valid 5-digit zip code!
Why you can trust EcoWatch
Top Solar Installers in Alexandria
When switching to solar energy, many homeowners prefer to hire a solar installation company since DIY solar panel installation can be a time-consuming project. The payback period on an investment in solar panels will vary depending on factors like your location and energy consumption, but working with a solar company can help you reach a break-even point sooner. Your provider will be able to help you get the most out of incentives available in your area.
If you're on the hunt for a solar installer in Alexandria, we've compiled a list of our top suggestions here:
See all of the solar companies in Alexandria
Factors that Affect Solar Panel Costs in Alexandria
Cost is usually one of the most important factors for homeowners considering investing in solar. There are a few key factors that affect your total cost in Alexandria: solar equipment and system size, financing options and the solar installation company you choose. We'll cover each of these briefly below.
Solar system size, which is measured in kilowatts, is one of the largest factors that determines the overall cost of installing solar panels. For that reason, it's a priority to accurately assess the size of the solar energy system needed for your home by figuring out your energy needs. Some solar brands — like Maxeon from SunPower — cost more upfront but also tend to offer better efficiency. In a city like Alexandria, where sunlight is relatively abundant, efficiency can quickly pay off. Plus, if you have a small roof or you don't have a lot of space for your panels, higher efficiency options will be more impactful. Additional equipment like electric vehicle chargers and solar batteries will also increase the cost.
Solar Financing Terms
For some homeowners, paying for solar panels out of pocket can be financially overwhelming. Solar loans are available from most installers in Alexandria, which can lower, or in some cases completely eliminate, your upfront costs to make solar more affordable. However, the interest on solar loans also increases your all-in costs, so it's important to consider that as well. You can always bring down the total you pay in interest and sometimes even your APR by making a larger down payment.
Solar Panel Installation Company
The solar company you hire to handle your switch to solar energy can have an effect on your total costs. There are about 3 solar panel companies in Alexandria, and each can charge varying amounts for labor and equipment. You may see national solar installers that have lower prices due to their larger brand name and access to bulk equipment prices, or you might see small, local installation companies offering deals or specials to compete with those larger companies.
Solar Panel Cost Data by System Size
|System size||Cost per system watt||Solar system cost||25-Year savings||Payback period|
|6 kW||$2.86||$12,012||$15,123||11.1 years|
|8 kW||$2.81||$15,708||$20,473||10.9 years|
|10 kW||$2.75||$19,250||$25,976||10.6 years|
|12 kW||$2.69||$22,638||$31,633||10.4 years|
|14 kW||$2.64||$25,872||$37,444||10.2 years|
|16 kW||$2.58||$28,952||$43,409||10.0 years|
|18 kW||$2.53||$31,878||$49,528||9.8 years|
|20 kW||$2.48||$34,650||$55,801||9.6 years|
How to Save on Solar Panels
There are a large number of companies available in Alexandria, and some homeowners feel overwhelmed considering their options. Selecting the right company for you can be tough, so here are some tips to help you decide:
- Warranty: A high-quality company rises above other companies by offering the gold standard warranty — a 25-year, all-inclusive warranty covering parts, labor and performance.
- Reputation: The North American Board of Certified Energy Practitioners (NABCEP) is a respected certification organization for renewable energy professionals. If your solar panel installer is NABCEP-certified, it most likely has a good reputation and is qualified to get the job done well. Another way you can look into your installer's reputation is by reading reviews.
- Solar Panel Brands: Each solar panel brand and kind has varying levels of quality, durability and energy efficiency. They will come at different prices as well. The company you choose impacts which solar panel brands you have access to.
- Contract: It's important to look over your solar installer's contract carefully to understand what services they will provide, what the warranty covers and what expectations you should have about your solar system's energy production.
EcoWatch's Alexandria, VA Solar Cost FAQs
Our goal is to reach as many people as we can with sensible solutions like solar energy. Our team of full-time local researchers collects solar price and installation data for every city in America then compiles it to create these digestible city guides. If you want to read our solar expert's opinion on the top solar companies featured here, follow this link.