Solar Panel Cost Guide in College Station, TX (Jan 2023)
- College Station Solar Installation Cost: $14,367
- 25-Year Savings: $23,417
- Payback Period: 9.5 Years
See cost of a solar system near you:
Please enter a valid 5-digit zip code!
Why you can trust EcoWatch
Top Solar Installers in College Station
Many homeowners choose to hire a solar panel company since trying to install solar panels yourself can be challenging. Plus, if you aren't sure what brand of solar panels and equipment you may need, a solar expert can help you figure that out after a site survey and consultation.
If you're looking for a solar installer in College Station, the EcoWatch team has organized a list of our top suggestions here:
See all of the solar companies in College Station
Factors that Affect Solar Panel Costs in College Station
While the average cost of a solar system in College Station is $14,367, your final cost may be above or below the average. There are quite a few factors that can have a sizable impact on the cost of a solar panel installation. Below are some of the more important things to consider.
When it comes to estimating the price of a solar panel system in College Station, one of the most crucial factors is the size of the system you need. Solar systems are sized by kilowatts (kW) and are primarily based on your home's energy consumption, which you can figure out by looking at past power bills. Your total cost can increase by about $2,690 for each additional kilowatt you need. The solar equipment you choose can increase or decrease your cost by thousands or even tens of thousands of dollars. If you get the most efficient solar panel brands, you'll end up paying more upfront than if you opted for the most affordable panels. On the other hand, more efficient panels could save you more in the long run on your electric bills. Additionally, extra products, like solar batteries, can bump up your total well above the College Station average.
Solar Financing Terms
Solar panels can save you money on utility bills over many years, but they can also be a big investment. That's why many College Station homeowners opt to finance their solar panel systems to make paying for solar more affordable. When considering your overall cost, you should also calculate the interest you'll pay if you decide on a solar loan. Also, paying a higher down payment can reduce the total interest paid over time.
Solar Panel Installation Company
The solar installer you go with to handle your switch to renewable energy can play a part in your total costs. There are about 3 solar panel companies in College Station, and each can charge varying amounts for labor and equipment. Larger national companies generally have lower costs, but some local companies keep up with them by promoting sales and discounts. While the smaller companies might not have specific equipment options like Tesla Powerwall batteries or additional services like electric car charger installation, they might be cheaper overall.
Solar Panel Cost Data by System Size
|System size||Cost per system watt||Solar system cost||25-Year savings||Payback period|
|6 kW||$2.80||$11,750||$17,958||9.9 years|
|8 kW||$2.74||$15,365||$24,246||9.7 years|
|10 kW||$2.69||$18,830||$30,684||9.5 years|
|12 kW||$2.64||$22,144||$37,273||9.3 years|
|14 kW||$2.58||$25,308||$44,012||9.1 years|
|16 kW||$2.53||$28,320||$50,902||8.9 years|
|18 kW||$2.47||$31,182||$57,942||8.7 years|
|20 kW||$2.42||$33,894||$65,134||8.6 years|
How to Save on Solar Panels
There are a large number of companies to choose from in College Station, and some homeowners feel overwhelmed considering their options. Selecting the right company for you can be difficult, so here are some tips to help you decide:
- Contract: When reading over your solar installer's contract, ask questions about any terms you're not sure of and make sure you understand what happens in scenarios like a system part breaking or the company going out of business.
- Installation Process: When going solar, it's necessary to keep an open line of communication with your solar company. Make sure you understand how the installation process will go and the project timeline.
- Reputation: Your solar installer should have a good reputation as a company and have proven expertise in the field. A couple of ways to check this are to look for whether a company has technicians that hold a certification from the North American Board of Certified Energy Practitioners (NABCEP) and if it has positive reviews from previous customers.
- Solar Panel Brands: Homeowners will have different preferences for panels based on their roof configurations and how much efficiency they need. Even though there are many options for which brand of solar panel you can get, not every company will have access to the exact one you may want or need, so be sure to ask for their list of options before making your decision.
EcoWatch's College Station, TX Solar Cost FAQs
Our goal is to reach as many people as we can with sensible solutions like solar energy. Our team of full-time local researchers collects solar price and installation data for every city in America then compiles it to create these digestible city guides. If you want to read our solar expert's opinion on the top solar companies featured here, follow this link.