Solar Panel Cost Guide in Wilkes Barre, PA (Jan 2023)
- Wilkes Barre Solar Installation Cost: $12,406
- 25-Year Savings: $8,802
- Payback Period: 14.6 Years
See cost of a solar system near you:
Please enter a valid 5-digit zip code!
Why you can trust EcoWatch
Top Solar Installers in Wilkes Barre
DIY solar panel installation is a possibility, but it's an undertaking that can be a headache. Going with an installer can make converting to solar power much easier. Plus, if you're not certain what type of solar panels and equipment you need, a solar company can help you find the right equipment for you after a site survey and consultation.
Working with a licensed solar installer can make going solar easier. Here are our recommendations:
See all of the solar companies in Wilkes Barre
Factors that Affect Solar Panel Costs in Wilkes Barre
While the average cost of a solar system in Wilkes Barre is $12,406, your actual cost may be above or below the average. There are quite a few factors that can have a major impact on the cost of a solar panel installation. Below are some of the more crucial things to consider.
The cost of solar panels varies by thousands of dollars due to a few different factors. One of the key factors is the system size, which is measured in kilowatts (kW). Solar power systems with higher efficiency or power generation require better technology and/or more equipment, both of which can increase costs. For each additional kilowatt you need, your cost can go up by about $2,550. There are several different solar panel brands and the one you choose also affects the cost. Generally, the brands that are more efficient tend to also be more expensive. Plus, the type of equipment you're looking to get can affect your total cost. If you just need panels, your system will be much less expensive than if you also need solar batteries or an electric vehicle charger.
Solar Financing Terms
Most solar installers in Wilkes Barre offer solar loans, which reduce your upfront costs of installing solar. You'll have to consider the long-term cost of financing options, including the amount of interest you'll pay over the length of the loan. If you're only able to get a high-interest loan, then your total can be hundreds or even thousands of dollars more than the principal cost. Making a larger down payment or getting a solar loan with a low interest rate could reduce your costs significantly.
Solar Panel Installation Company
Lastly, the company you get to install your solar system can impact how much it costs. Wilkes Barre's solar companies all have different labor costs and add varying upcharges to equipment. Larger national companies generally have lower costs, but some local companies compete with them by promoting sales and discounts. While the smaller companies might not have specific equipment options like Tesla Powerwall batteries or additional services like electric vehicle charger installation, they might be cheaper overall.
Solar Panel Cost Data by System Size
|System size||Cost per system watt||Solar system cost||25-Year savings||Payback period|
|6 kW||$2.65||$11,138||$7,177||15.2 years|
|8 kW||$2.60||$14,566||$9,855||14.9 years|
|10 kW||$2.55||$17,850||$12,676||14.6 years|
|12 kW||$2.50||$20,992||$15,640||14.3 years|
|14 kW||$2.45||$23,990||$18,746||14.0 years|
|16 kW||$2.40||$26,846||$21,995||13.7 years|
|18 kW||$2.35||$29,560||$25,387||13.4 years|
|20 kW||$2.29||$32,130||$28,922||13.2 years|
How to Save on Solar Panels
The solar company you opt for will affect not only your total costs, but also the kinds of solar panel brands, warranties, and other equipment you can get. When choosing a solar company, there are a few important things you should take into account, such as:
- Solar Panel Brands: Each solar panel brand and model offers varying levels of quality, durability and efficiency. They will come at different costs as well. The company you choose has an impact on which solar panel brands you have access to.
- Warranty: Warranties that provide coverage for defective panels and repairs over around 25 years are the best you can get in the business, and offering that kind of warranty is one indication of a quality company.
- Reputation: Well-established companies likely have a solid reputation. This is important because it ensures that it will not only see your solar installation through, but will also provide quality aftercare and customer support, such as part repairs and replacements.
- Contract: Before you sign a contract with a solar installer, be sure to look it over fully so you understand the terms. Also, ask questions if you're unsure about some of the terms, such as what to do if a component breaks or malfunctions and if there are any guarantees about energy production.
EcoWatch's Wilkes Barre, PA Solar Cost FAQs
Our goal is to reach as many people as we can with sensible solutions like solar energy. Our team of full-time local researchers collects solar price and installation data for every city in America then compiles it to create these digestible city guides. If you want to read our solar expert's opinion on the top solar companies featured here, follow this link.