Solar Panel Cost Guide in Brookhaven, PA (Jan 2023)
- Brookhaven Solar Installation Cost: $11,620
- 25-Year Savings: $15,025
- Payback Period: 10.9 Years
See cost of a solar system near you:
Please enter a valid 5-digit zip code!
Why you can trust EcoWatch
Top Solar Installers in Brookhaven
Many homeowners decide to hire a solar installer since installing solar panels yourself can be a lot of work. A solar installer can also help save you money in the long run by offering warranties, repairs and system component replacements.
If you'd like to start using solar energy but still aren't sure which solar system company to go with, here are our suggestions for providers in Brookhaven:
See all of the solar companies in Brookhaven
Factors that Affect Solar Panel Costs in Brookhaven
There are several factors that can play into your installation cost, such as the size of your system, the equipment you choose, your financing options and the specific company that installs your solar system.
The cost of solar panels varies by thousands of dollars due to a few different factors. One of the most significant factors is the system size, which is measured in kilowatts (kW). Solar power systems that have better efficiency or power generation need better technology and/or more equipment, both of which can raise costs. For each additional kilowatt you need, your cost can go up by about $2,550. Some solar brands — like Maxeon from SunPower — are more costly upfront but also tend to offer better efficiency. In a city like Brookhaven, where sunlight is relatively abundant, efficiency can quickly pay off. Also, if you have a small roof or you don't have a lot of space for your panels, higher efficiency options will be a better option. Additional equipment like electric vehicle chargers and solar batteries will also increase the cost.
Solar Financing Terms
If paying for solar panels out of pocket is out of reach, solar loans are a popular route because they lower your upfront costs and let you pay for your system over a term of, on average, between five and seven years. Although solar loans make adopting solar energy more accessible for Brookhaven homeowners, they can also increase the total you pay for your system due to interest. If you put down a larger down payment, though, you can avoid paying as much in interest.
Solar Panel Installation Company
Finally, the company you hire to install your solar system can impact how much it costs. Brookhaven's solar companies all have different labor costs and add varying upcharges to equipment. Companies that only sell products with high efficiency and therefore a higher price point — like Maxeon solar panels from SunPower or Tesla Powerwall batteries — so choosing those installers will generally cost more. It's best to do some research and find a company that provides the products, warranties and services you want and also is within your budget.
Solar Panel Cost Data by System Size
|System size||Cost per system watt||Solar system cost||25-Year savings||Payback period|
|6 kW||$2.65||$11,138||$13,415||11.3 years|
|8 kW||$2.60||$14,566||$18,172||11.1 years|
|10 kW||$2.55||$17,850||$23,072||10.9 years|
|12 kW||$2.50||$20,992||$28,114||10.7 years|
|14 kW||$2.45||$23,990||$33,300||10.5 years|
|16 kW||$2.40||$26,846||$38,628||10.3 years|
|18 kW||$2.35||$29,560||$44,100||10.0 years|
|20 kW||$2.29||$32,130||$49,713||9.8 years|
How to Save on Solar Panels
The company that does your solar panel installation will affect the warranties and brands you have access to, and it will also have an impact on your total cost. Since selecting a company can be a challenge, we have some tips to help you, such as:
- Reputation: Solar panel companies that have great reviews from their customers and that have been in business for many years likely offer high-quality solar panel installation and expertise.
- Installation Process: One of the most important things to understand when adopting solar energy is the installation process itself. Be sure to align on any details you need to know with your solar installer, such as what permits you should secure and what the project timeline is.
- Contract: When looking through your solar installer's contract, ask for clarification about any terms you're not sure of and make sure you understand what happens in scenarios such as a system component breaking or the company going out of business.
- Solar Panel Brands: Homeowners will have different preferences for panels based on their locations and how much efficiency they need. Although there are many options for which kind of solar panel you can get, not every company will have access to the exact one you may want or need, so be sure to peruse their list of offerings before deciding.
EcoWatch's Brookhaven, PA Solar Cost FAQs
Our goal is to reach as many people as we can with sensible solutions like solar energy. Our team of full-time local researchers collects solar price and installation data for every city in America then compiles it to create these digestible city guides. If you want to read our solar expert's opinion on the top solar companies featured here, follow this link.