Solar Panel Cost Guide in Athens, PA (Jan 2023)
- Athens Solar Installation Cost: $12,602
- 25-Year Savings: $15,798
- Payback Period: 11.1 Years
See cost of a solar system near you:
Please enter a valid 5-digit zip code!
Why you can trust EcoWatch
Top Solar Installers in Athens
Although you can install solar panels by yourself, it takes extra energy and know-how. That's why almost all homeowners choose to go with a solar panel installer. A solar installer can also help save you money over the lifespan of your system by offering warranties, repairs and system component replacements.
There are several licensed solar professionals that can help you install your solar system. Here are our suggestions:
See all of the solar companies in Athens
Factors that Affect Solar Panel Costs in Athens
The cost of installing a solar system in Athens can vary by more than $10,000 from home to home. Your actual cost depends on several factors. The largest one is the size of the system your household needs, and other factors include equipment choices, financing options and the solar installer you choose.
The size of the solar panel system you need for your home, which is measured in kilowatts, is the most significant cost factor to consider. For every additional kilowatt you need, you can expect your total to increase by around $2,550. The model of solar panels and equipment you choose is another factor that will considerably impact costs. Solar panels that have higher efficiency, like monocrystalline panels, tend to be more pricey. Plus, solar equipment goes beyond just the solar panels themselves. You'll also need to consider the kind of racks used to mount the panels, inverters, solar batteries, etc. It's important to take all of this into consideration when searching for a solar system that falls within your budget.
Solar Financing Terms
Solar panels can save you money on utility bills over time, but they can also be a significant investment. That's why many Athens homeowners opt to finance their solar panel systems to offset upfront costs. Although solar loans make switching to solar energy more accessible for Athens homeowners, they can also increase the total you pay for your system, depending on your interest rate. If you make a larger down payment, though, you can cut back on how much interest you have to pay.
Solar Panel Installation Company
The solar installer you choose to handle your switch to solar energy can have an effect on your total costs. There are about 3 solar panel companies operating in Athens, and each can charge different amounts for labor and equipment. Companies that only sell products with high efficiency and therefore a higher price point — like Maxeon solar panels from SunPower or Tesla Powerwall batteries — so choosing those installers will generally come with an above-average cost. It's best to do some research and decide on the company that offers the products, warranties and services you're looking for and also fit into your budget.
Solar Panel Cost Data by System Size
|System size||Cost per system watt||Solar system cost||25-Year savings||Payback period|
|6 kW||$2.65||$11,138||$12,983||11.5 years|
|8 kW||$2.60||$14,566||$17,597||11.3 years|
|10 kW||$2.55||$17,850||$22,353||11.1 years|
|12 kW||$2.50||$20,992||$27,252||10.9 years|
|14 kW||$2.45||$23,990||$32,293||10.7 years|
|16 kW||$2.40||$26,846||$37,478||10.4 years|
|18 kW||$2.35||$29,560||$42,805||10.2 years|
|20 kW||$2.29||$32,130||$48,275||10.0 years|
How to Save on Solar Panels
There are a large number of companies available in Athens, and some homeowners feel overwhelmed considering their options. Picking the right company for you can be challenging, so here are some tips to help you decide:
- Solar Panel Brands: Different companies carry various brands and models of panels. If you want a specific brand, make sure the solar panel company you're considering has it.
- Warranty: Many companies offer different types of warranties that provide different kinds of coverage. A 25-year, all-inclusive warranty is the gold standard.
- Reputation: The North American Board of Certified Energy Practitioners (NABCEP) is a respected certification organization for clean energy professionals. If your solar panel installer is NABCEP-certified, it most likely has a solid reputation and is qualified to get the job done well. Another way you can look into your installer's reputation is by reading reviews.
- Contract: Before signing a contract with a solar company, make sure to look it over completely so you understand the terms. Also, ask questions if you're not certain about some of the terms, such as what the warranty covers and if there are any guarantees about energy production.
EcoWatch's Athens, PA Solar Cost FAQs
Our goal is to reach as many people as we can with sensible solutions like solar energy. Our team of full-time local researchers collects solar price and installation data for every city in America then compiles it to create these digestible city guides. If you want to read our solar expert's opinion on the top solar companies featured here, follow this link.