Solar Panel Cost Guide in Reading, OH (Jan 2023)
- Reading Solar Installation Cost: $13,243
- 25-Year Savings: $10,946
- Payback Period: 13.7 Years
See cost of a solar system near you:
Please enter a valid 5-digit zip code!
Why you can trust EcoWatch
Top Solar Installers in Reading
Installing solar panels yourself can be a time-consuming task, which is why using a solar installation company is a good option for many homeowners. Local solar installers can also help you maximize your return on investment by walking you through any local incentives and by providing warranties and repairs.
Working with a professional solar installer can help your solar project go smoothly. Here are our recommendations:
See all of the solar companies in Reading
Factors that Affect Solar Panel Costs in Reading
The cost of installing a solar system in Reading can vary by more than $10,000 from home to home. Your actual cost is dependent on several factors. The most significant one is your system size, and other factors include equipment choices, financing options and the solar company you choose.
Solar system size, which is measured in kilowatts, is one of the largest factors that affects the overall cost of installing solar panels. Because of that, it's a priority to accurately ascertain the size of the solar energy system needed for your home by figuring out your energy needs. The brand and type of equipment you get for your solar system can increase or decrease the price quite significantly. If you prefer a trusted brand name like Tesla or SunPower, these often come at a higher price than other brands. Efficiency also matters. Whether you're opting for high efficiency because you have a small roof or just want maximum energy production, you will be looking at a higher equipment cost, but this can typically lead to greater savings over time. Also, if you want extra equipment like an electric vehicle charger or solar batteries, this will also raise the cost.
Solar Financing Terms
For some homeowners, paying for solar panels out of pocket can be financially overwhelming. Solar loans are offered by most installers in Reading, which can bring down, or in some cases completely eliminate, your upfront costs to make solar more accessible. Though solar loans make adopting solar energy more accessible for Reading homeowners, they can also increase the total you pay for your system due to interest. If you make a larger down payment, though, you can avoid paying as much in interest.
Solar Panel Installation Company
The solar panel installation company you pick will influence your total cost to make the switch to solar energy. Different companies will bill different amounts for the equipment and labor. Larger national companies usually have lower costs, but some local companies undercut them by offering sales and discounts. While the smaller companies might not have access to specific equipment options like Tesla Powerwall batteries or extra services like electric vehicle charger installation, they might be cheaper overall.
Solar Panel Cost Data by System Size
|System size||Cost per system watt||Solar system cost||25-Year savings||Payback period|
|6 kW||$2.66||$11,182||$8,461||14.2 years|
|8 kW||$2.61||$14,623||$11,568||14.0 years|
|10 kW||$2.56||$17,920||$14,818||13.7 years|
|12 kW||$2.51||$21,074||$18,212||13.4 years|
|14 kW||$2.46||$24,084||$21,749||13.1 years|
|16 kW||$2.41||$26,952||$25,430||12.9 years|
|18 kW||$2.36||$29,676||$29,253||12.6 years|
|20 kW||$2.30||$32,256||$33,221||12.3 years|
How to Save on Solar Panels
There are numerous companies to choose from in Reading, and some homeowners feel overwhelmed considering their options. Picking the right company for you can be difficult, so here are some tips to help you decide:
- Contract: When looking over your solar company's contract, ask for clarification about any terms you're not sure of and be sure you understand what happens in scenarios such as a system component breaking or the company going out of business.
- Reputation: Your solar installer should have a solid reputation as a company and have verifiable expertise in the field. A couple of ways to check this are to look for whether a company has technicians that hold a certification from the North American Board of Certified Energy Practitioners (NABCEP) and if it has good reviews from past customers.
- Solar Panel Brands: Homeowners will have different preferences for panels based on their roof configurations and energy needs. Even though there are many options for which type of solar panel you can get, not every company will have the exact one you may want or need, so make sure you peruse their list of offerings before deciding.
- Warranty: If you're concerned about the endurance of your solar system, making sure your company offers a 25-year, all-inclusive warranty can give you some peace of mind.
EcoWatch's Reading, OH Solar Cost FAQs
Our goal is to reach as many people as we can with sensible solutions like solar energy. Our team of full-time local researchers collects solar price and installation data for every city in America then compiles it to create these digestible city guides. If you want to read our solar expert's opinion on the top solar companies featured here, follow this link.