Solar Panel Cost Guide in Thornwood, NY (Feb 2023)
- Thornwood Solar Installation Cost: $8,652
- 25-Year Savings: $24,687
- Payback Period: 6.5 Years
See cost of a solar system near you:
Please enter a valid 5-digit zip code!
Why you can trust EcoWatch
Top Solar Installers in Thornwood
Putting up solar panels yourself can be a difficult task, which is why using a solar installation company is a good option for many homeowners. Plus, if you aren't sure what kind of solar panels and equipment you need, a solar expert can help you figure that out after a site survey and consultation.
You can work with a local solar installer to get a free estimate on how much your investment in solar could cost for your home. Here are some nearby:
See all of the solar companies in Thornwood
Factors that Affect Solar Panel Costs in Thornwood
There are many factors that can play into your total installation cost, such as the size of your system, the equipment you choose, your financing options and the specific company that performs the installation.
When it comes to estimating the cost of a solar energy system in Thornwood, one of the most crucial factors is the size of the system you need. Solar systems are sized by kilowatts (kW) and are mainly based on your home's energy usage, which you can determine by looking at past energy bills. Your overall cost can increase by about $2,950 for each additional kilowatt you need. The solar equipment you choose can bring your price up or down by thousands or even tens of thousands of dollars. If you get the most efficient solar panel brands, you'll end up paying more upfront than if you opted for the most affordable panels. On the other hand, more efficient panels could save you more over time on your energy bills. Additionally, extra products, like solar batteries, can bring your total well above the Thornwood average.
Solar Financing Terms
If paying for solar panels out of pocket is too expensive, solar loans are a popular route because they decrease your upfront costs and allow you to pay for your system over five to seven years on average. You'll have to consider the long-term cost of loans, including the total interest you'll pay over the length of the loan. If you can only get a high-interest loan, then your total can be hundreds or even thousands of dollars above the equipment and labor cost. Making a larger down payment or securing a solar loan with a low APR could reduce your costs considerably.
Solar Panel Installation Company
The solar company you pick will play a role in your total cost to go solar. Different companies will bill different amounts for the equipment and labor. Some companies only sell products with high efficiency and therefore a higher price point — like Maxeon solar panels from SunPower or Tesla Powerwall batteries — so choosing those installers will generally come at a higher cost. It's best to do some research and choose a company that offers the products, warranties and services you're looking for and also fit into your budget.
Solar Panel Cost Data by System Size
|System size||Cost per system watt||Solar system cost||25-Year savings||Payback period|
|6 kW||$3.07||$12,886||$34,898||6.7 years|
|8 kW||$3.01||$16,850||$46,861||6.6 years|
|10 kW||$2.95||$20,650||$58,989||6.5 years|
|12 kW||$2.89||$24,284||$71,283||6.4 years|
|14 kW||$2.83||$27,754||$83,741||6.2 years|
|16 kW||$2.77||$31,058||$96,365||6.1 years|
|18 kW||$2.71||$34,196||$109,154||6.0 years|
|20 kW||$2.66||$37,170||$122,108||5.8 years|
How to Save on Solar Panels
There are many solar installers to choose from, all of which offer different warranties, solar panel models and price points. To help you decide on the right company for you, here are some tips to keep in mind:
- Warranty: If you care about the longevity of your solar panel system, ensuring your installer offers a 25-year, all-inclusive warranty can give you some peace of mind.
- Solar Panel Brands: Homeowners will have different preferences for panels based on their roof configurations and how much efficiency they need. Although there are many options for which kind of solar panel you can get, not every company will have the exact one you may want or need, so be sure to peruse their list of offerings before making your decision.
- Reputation: Your solar installer should have a sound reputation as a company and have verifiable expertise in the field. Two ways to check this are to look for whether a company has technicians that hold a certification from the North American Board of Certified Energy Practitioners (NABCEP) and if it has good reviews from past customers.
- Contract: It's important to read through your solar installer's contract well to understand what services they will provide, what the warranty covers and what expectations you should have about the project timeline.
EcoWatch's Thornwood, NY Solar Cost FAQs
Our goal is to reach as many people as we can with sensible solutions like solar energy. Our team of full-time local researchers collects solar price and installation data for every city in America then compiles it to create these digestible city guides. If you want to read our solar expert's opinion on the top solar companies featured here, follow this link.