Solar Panel Cost Guide in Staten Island, NY (Feb 2023)
- Staten Island Solar Installation Cost: $8,322
- 25-Year Savings: $25,018
- Payback Period: 6.2 Years
See cost of a solar system near you:
Please enter a valid 5-digit zip code!
Why you can trust EcoWatch
Top Solar Installers in Staten Island
Although you can install solar panels yourself, it requires extra energy and expertise. For that reason, the majority of homeowners choose a solar panel installer. Companies can also have access to quality options of the best solar panels and help you decide which one will be best for you.
There are a number of licensed solar professionals that can take care of your solar installation project. Here are our suggestions:
See all of the solar companies in Staten Island
Factors that Affect Solar Panel Costs in Staten Island
Cost is often one of the most important factors for homeowners wanting to invest in solar. There are a few key factors that determine your overall cost in Staten Island: solar equipment and system size, financing options and the solar installation company you choose. We'll cover each of these briefly below.
When it comes to estimating the cost of solar panels in Staten Island, one of the most crucial factors is the size of the system you need. Solar systems are sized by kilowatts (kW) and are chiefly based on your home's energy consumption, which you can gauge by looking at past power bills. Your total cost can increase by about $2,950 for each additional kilowatt you need. The solar equipment you choose can bring your price up or down by thousands or even tens of thousands of dollars. If you get the most efficient solar panel brands, you'll end up paying more upfront than if you opted for the most affordable panels. On the other hand, more efficient panels could save you more in the long run on your electric bills. Additionally, add-on products, such as solar batteries, can bump up your total well above the Staten Island average.
Solar Financing Terms
Solar panels can save you money on utility bills over many years, but they can also be a significant investment. That's why many Staten Island homeowners opt to finance their solar panel systems to make paying for solar more affordable. When estimating your overall cost, you should also calculate the interest you'll pay if you choose to go with a solar loan. Also, paying more on your down payment can lower the total interest paid over time.
Solar Panel Installation Company
A final factor to keep in mind when trying to estimate the cost of solar for your home or business in Staten Island is the company you hire to install your solar system. As with choosing a company to install new cabinets, for example, there's no shortage of solar installers that provide a range of services at different costs. The company's size sometimes plays the most significant role in the cost. Larger national companies, like SunPro and Sunrun, often have lower prices because they have access to greater resources and better pricing. Smaller local companies might be more costly, but they generally have better customer service and more customization options, and the occasional sale or promotion can bring their pricing lower to compete with bigger names.
Solar Panel Cost Data by System Size
|System size||Cost per system watt||Solar system cost||25-Year savings||Payback period|
|6 kW||$3.07||$12,886||$36,769||6.5 years|
|8 kW||$3.01||$16,850||$49,356||6.4 years|
|10 kW||$2.95||$20,650||$62,108||6.2 years|
|12 kW||$2.89||$24,284||$75,025||6.1 years|
|14 kW||$2.83||$27,754||$88,107||6.0 years|
|16 kW||$2.77||$31,058||$101,355||5.9 years|
|18 kW||$2.71||$34,196||$114,767||5.7 years|
|20 kW||$2.66||$37,170||$128,345||5.6 years|
How to Save on Solar Panels
The company that does your solar panel installation will affect the warranties and brands available to you, and it will also have an impact on your total cost. Because choosing a company can be a tough decision, we have some tips to help you, such as:
- Solar Panel Brands: Different companies offer various brands and models of panels. If you prefer a specific brand, make sure the solar company you're considering has it.
- Reputation: Your solar installer should have a good reputation as a company and have proven expertise in the field. Two ways to check this are to look for whether a company has technicians that hold a certification from the North American Board of Certified Energy Practitioners (NABCEP) and if it has positive reviews from past customers.
- Installation Process: Get detailed information from your solar installer about the installation process and what to expect, including when the site survey will be done and what the project timeline is.
- Contract: Before signing a contract with a solar company, make sure to look it over carefully so you understand the terms. Also, ask questions if you're unsure about some of the terms, such as what to do if a component breaks or malfunctions and if there are any guarantees about energy production.
EcoWatch's Staten Island, NY Solar Cost FAQs
Our goal is to reach as many people as we can with sensible solutions like solar energy. Our team of full-time local researchers collects solar price and installation data for every city in America then compiles it to create these digestible city guides. If you want to read our solar expert's opinion on the top solar companies featured here, follow this link.