Solar Panel Cost Guide in Grand Island, NY (Feb 2023)
- Grand Island Solar Installation Cost: $9,458
- 25-Year Savings: $6,749
- Payback Period: 14.6 Years
See cost of a solar system near you:
Please enter a valid 5-digit zip code!
Why you can trust EcoWatch
Top Solar Installers in Grand Island
Installing solar panels yourself can be a difficult task, which is why hiring a solar installation company is a good option for many homeowners. Plus, warranties and repairs from your solar panel company can protect your investment and lower the cost of maintenance in the long run.
Working with a vetted solar installer can help your solar project go smoothly. Here are our recommendations:
See all of the solar companies in Grand Island
Factors that Affect Solar Panel Costs in Grand Island
Cost is typically one of the most important factors for homeowners who want to invest in solar. There are a few primary factors that affect your total cost in Grand Island: solar equipment and system size, financing options and the solar installation company you choose. We'll go over each of these briefly below.
System size, which is measured in kilowatts, is one of the largest factors that determines the overall cost of going solar. Because of that, it's a priority to accurately ascertain the size of the solar energy system needed for your home by figuring out your energy needs. Some solar brands — like Maxeon from SunPower — cost more upfront but also tend to offer better efficiency. In a city like Grand Island, where sunlight isn't as abundant, efficiency can quickly pay off. In addition, if you have a small roof or limited space for your panels, higher efficiency options will be more impactful. Additional equipment like electric vehicle chargers and solar batteries will also increase the cost.
Solar Financing Terms
Many homeowners find the average cost of solar in Grand Island to be too expensive, even if the investment pays off over time. Fortunately, nearly every solar company in the area provides financing options. Solar loans greatly decrease upfront costs in most cases, but they also lead to a higher cost over time because of interest. However, the interest on solar loans also adds to your overall costs, so it's important to take that into consideration as well. You can always bring down the total you pay in interest and in some cases even your APR by making a larger down payment.
Solar Panel Installation Company
The solar installer you choose to handle your switch to sustainable energy can have an effect on your total costs. There are about 3 solar installation companies operating in Grand Island, and each can charge varying amounts for labor and equipment. Companies that only sell high-efficiency and high-priced products — like Maxeon solar panels from SunPower or Tesla Powerwall batteries — so choosing those installers will generally cost more. It's best to do some research and decide on the company that has the products, warranties and services you're looking for and also fits within your budget.
Solar Panel Cost Data by System Size
|System size||Cost per system watt||Solar system cost||25-Year savings||Payback period|
|6 kW||$3.07||$12,886||$8,357||15.2 years|
|8 kW||$3.01||$16,850||$11,473||14.9 years|
|10 kW||$2.95||$20,650||$14,754||14.6 years|
|12 kW||$2.89||$24,284||$18,201||14.3 years|
|14 kW||$2.83||$27,754||$21,813||14.0 years|
|16 kW||$2.77||$31,058||$25,589||13.7 years|
|18 kW||$2.71||$34,196||$29,531||13.4 years|
|20 kW||$2.66||$37,170||$33,639||13.1 years|
How to Save on Solar Panels
The solar installer you opt for will be a major factor in determining not only your overall costs, but also the types of solar panel brands, warranties, and other equipment you can get. When choosing a solar company, there are a few important things you should consider, such as:
- Installation Process: When making the switch to solar, it's crucial to keep an open line of communication with your solar panel company. See to it that you understand how the installation process works and the project timeline.
- Reputation: Your solar installer should have a solid reputation as a company and have verifiable expertise in the field. Two ways to check this are to look for whether a company has technicians that hold a certification from the North American Board of Certified Energy Practitioners (NABCEP) and if it has positive reviews from past customers.
- Contract: Before you sign a contract with a solar company, be sure to read it through fully so you understand the terms. Also, ask questions if you aren't sure about some of the terms, such as what to do if a part breaks or malfunctions and if there are any guarantees about energy production.
- Solar Panel Brands: Homeowners will have different preferences for panels based on their roof configurations and how much efficiency they need. While there are many options for which brand of solar panel you can get, not every company will have access to the exact one you may want or need, so make sure you ask for their list of options before making your decision.
EcoWatch's Grand Island, NY Solar Cost FAQs
Our goal is to reach as many people as we can with sensible solutions like solar energy. Our team of full-time local researchers collects solar price and installation data for every city in America then compiles it to create these digestible city guides. If you want to read our solar expert's opinion on the top solar companies featured here, follow this link.