Solar Panel Cost Guide in Dunkirk, NY (Feb 2023)
- Dunkirk Solar Installation Cost: $9,582
- 25-Year Savings: $6,625
- Payback Period: 14.8 Years
See cost of a solar system near you:
Please enter a valid 5-digit zip code!
Why you can trust EcoWatch
Top Solar Installers in Dunkirk
DIY solar panel installation is a way to cut costs, but it's an undertaking that can be a pain. Using an installer can make switching to solar power much easier. Companies can also have access to quality options of the best solar panels and help you decide which one will be right for your family.
You can get a free quote from a local solar installer on how much your investment in solar could cost for your home. Here are some near you:
See all of the solar companies in Dunkirk
Factors that Affect Solar Panel Costs in Dunkirk
For many Dunkirk homeowners, the decision to install solar panels depends on cost. However, the range of solar installation costs can be quite wide in Dunkirk, with typical prices between $20,000 to $40,000. There are several factors that significantly influence the price you'll pay, which we'll go over below.
When it comes to estimating the price of solar panels in Dunkirk, one of the most crucial factors is the size of the system you need. Solar systems are sized by kilowatts (kW) and are mainly based on your home's energy usage, which you can figure out by looking at past energy bills. Your overall cost can increase by around $2,950 for each additional kilowatt you need. The solar equipment you choose can bring your price up or down by thousands or even tens of thousands of dollars. If you opt for the most efficient solar panel brands, you'll end up paying more upfront than if you opted for the most affordable panels. However, more efficient panels could save you more over time on your energy bills. In addition, add-on products, such as solar batteries, can bring your total well above the Dunkirk average.
Solar Financing Terms
If paying for a solar system in cash is out of reach, solar loans are a solid option because they lower your upfront costs and let you pay for your system over a term of, on average, between five and seven years. While solar loans make switching to solar energy more accessible for Dunkirk homeowners, they can also increase the total you pay for your system due to interest. If you make a larger down payment, though, you can avoid paying as much in interest.
Solar Panel Installation Company
A final factor to keep in mind when trying to figure out the cost of solar for your home or business in Dunkirk is the company you get to install your solar panel system. Similar to choosing a company to renovate your kitchen, for instance, you'll have no shortage of solar installers that provide a range of services for different budgets. You may see national solar installers that have lower prices due to their larger brand name and access to bulk equipment pricing, or you might see small, local installation companies offering deals or promotions to compete with those larger companies.
Solar Panel Cost Data by System Size
|System size||Cost per system watt||Solar system cost||25-Year savings||Payback period|
|6 kW||$3.07||$12,886||$8,083||15.4 years|
|8 kW||$3.01||$16,850||$11,107||15.1 years|
|10 kW||$2.95||$20,650||$14,297||14.8 years|
|12 kW||$2.89||$24,284||$17,652||14.5 years|
|14 kW||$2.83||$27,754||$21,172||14.2 years|
|16 kW||$2.77||$31,058||$24,857||13.9 years|
|18 kW||$2.71||$34,196||$28,708||13.6 years|
|20 kW||$2.66||$37,170||$32,724||13.3 years|
How to Save on Solar Panels
There are numerous companies to choose from in Dunkirk, and some homeowners feel overwhelmed considering their options. Selecting the right company for you can be tough, so here are some tips to help you decide:
- Solar Panel Brands: Homeowners will have different preferences for panels depending on their locations and energy needs. Even though there are many options for which brand of solar panel you can get, not every company will have access to the exact one you may want or need, so be sure to ask for their list of options before deciding.
- Installation Process: When going solar, it's necessary to maintain an open line of communication with your solar company. See to it that you understand how the installation process will go and the completion timeline.
- Contract: Look through the contract terms carefully to make sure you understand the cost breakdown, project completion timeline incentives and warranties.
- Reputation: Long-running companies likely have a solid reputation. This is important because it ensures that it will not only see your solar project through, but will also provide quality aftercare and customer support, such as part repairs and replacements.
EcoWatch's Dunkirk, NY Solar Cost FAQs
Our goal is to reach as many people as we can with sensible solutions like solar energy. Our team of full-time local researchers collects solar price and installation data for every city in America then compiles it to create these digestible city guides. If you want to read our solar expert's opinion on the top solar companies featured here, follow this link.