Solar Panel Cost Guide in Amherst, NY (Feb 2023)
- Amherst Solar Installation Cost: $9,458
- 25-Year Savings: $6,163
- Payback Period: 15.1 Years
See cost of a solar system near you:
Please enter a valid 5-digit zip code!
Why you can trust EcoWatch
Top Solar Installers in Amherst
Many homeowners choose to hire a solar panel installer since trying to put up solar panels by yourself can be challenging. The expertise that solar companies provide can be invaluable as well, especially if you aren't sure what kind of solar equipment would be right for your home.
Working with a professional solar company can help you make the most of your investment in solar. Here are our recommendations:
See all of the solar companies in Amherst
Factors that Affect Solar Panel Costs in Amherst
For many Amherst homeowners, the decision to install solar panels comes down to cost. However, the range of solar installation costs can be quite wide in Amherst, with typical prices between $20,000 to $40,000. There are several factors that considerably influence the price you'll pay, which we'll go over below.
One of the most significant factors to consider when it comes to the cost of installing solar panels is the size of the solar system, which is measured in kilowatts (kW). The more energy your household uses, the larger your system will likely need to be. You can expect to spend about $2,950 per kilowatt in Amherst. Some solar panel brands — like Maxeon from SunPower — cost more upfront but also tend to offer better efficiency. In a city like Amherst, where sunlight isn't as abundant, efficiency can quickly pay off. In addition, if you have a small roof or limited space for your panels, higher efficiency options will be a better option. Additional equipment like electric vehicle chargers and solar batteries will also increase the cost.
Solar Financing Terms
If paying for solar panels out of pocket is too expensive, solar loans are a solid option because they reduce your upfront costs and let you pay for your system over five to seven years on average. It's a good idea to include the interest you'll pay in your final cost estimate. If you can afford to put more money down upfront, you can reduce your total costs and the amount of time it'll take to pay back the loan.
Solar Panel Installation Company
The final major cost factor you should take into consideration is the installer you choose. Given the growing popularity of renewable energy solutions in Amherst, you'll have many options to choose from, but each comes at different price points for labor and equipment. Additionally, some companies in Amherst have more knowledge about local solar incentives and can help you learn about additional rebates or tax exemptions. However, they may charge more for walking you through the whole process. Even if they cost more upfront, they could help you save more money in the long run.
Solar Panel Cost Data by System Size
|System size||Cost per system watt||Solar system cost||25-Year savings||Payback period|
|6 kW||$3.07||$12,886||$7,589||15.7 years|
|8 kW||$3.01||$16,850||$10,449||15.4 years|
|10 kW||$2.95||$20,650||$13,474||15.1 years|
|12 kW||$2.89||$24,284||$16,664||14.8 years|
|14 kW||$2.83||$27,754||$20,020||14.5 years|
|16 kW||$2.77||$31,058||$23,540||14.2 years|
|18 kW||$2.71||$34,196||$27,226||13.9 years|
|20 kW||$2.66||$37,170||$31,077||13.6 years|
How to Save on Solar Panels
Since the kind of solar panels and the installation company you choose significantly influences your costs and your system's durability and efficiency, it's important to select the right ones for you. Here are some tips to keep in mind to help with your decision:
- Warranty: Warranties that provide coverage for defective panels and repairs over a long period of time such as 25 years are the gold standard in the business, and offering such a warranty is one mark of a good company.
- Solar Panel Brands: Each solar panel brand and type has varying levels of quality, longevity and efficiency. They will come at different costs as well. The company you choose plays a role in which solar panel brands you have access to.
- Contract: Review the contract terms closely to make sure you understand the overall cost, completion timeline incentives and warranties.
- Reputation: Your solar installer should have a good reputation as a company and have demonstrated expertise in the field. A couple of ways to check this are to look for whether a company has technicians certified by the North American Board of Certified Energy Practitioners (NABCEP) and if it has satisfied reviews from previous customers.
EcoWatch's Amherst, NY Solar Cost FAQs
Our goal is to reach as many people as we can with sensible solutions like solar energy. Our team of full-time local researchers collects solar price and installation data for every city in America then compiles it to create these digestible city guides. If you want to read our solar expert's opinion on the top solar companies featured here, follow this link.