Solar Panel Cost Guide in Rutherford, NJ (Feb 2023)
- Rutherford Solar Installation Cost: $9,055
- 25-Year Savings: $8,795
- Payback Period: 12.7 Years
See cost of a solar system near you:
Please enter a valid 5-digit zip code!
Why you can trust EcoWatch
Top Solar Installers in Rutherford
Although it's possible to install solar panels yourself, it requires extra labor and know-how. That's why the majority of homeowners choose to hire a solar panel installer. A solar company can also help save you money over time by offering warranties, repairs and system component replacements.
You can work with a local solar installer to get a free estimate on how much your investment in solar could cost for your home. Here are some in Rutherford:
See all of the solar companies in Rutherford
Factors that Affect Solar Panel Costs in Rutherford
There are several factors that can affect your solar panel installation cost, such as the size of your system, the equipment you choose, your financing options and the specific company that installs your solar system.
The size of the solar energy system you need to offset your energy usage, which is measured in kilowatts, is the most significant cost factor to consider. For every additional kilowatt you need, you can expect your total to increase by around $2,770. Some solar panel brands — like Maxeon from SunPower — are more costly upfront but also tend to offer better efficiency. In a city like Rutherford, where sunlight is relatively abundant, efficiency can quickly pay off. In addition, if you have a small roof or you don't have a lot of space for your panels, higher efficiency options will be more impactful. Additional equipment like electric vehicle chargers and solar batteries will also increase the cost.
Solar Financing Terms
For some homeowners, paying for a solar system out of pocket can be a challenge. Solar loans are provided by most installers in Rutherford, which can lower, or in some cases completely eliminate, your upfront costs to make solar more affordable. It's a good idea to include the interest you'll pay in your final cost estimate. If you can afford to put more money down upfront, you can reduce your total costs and the amount of time it'll take to pay back the loan.
Solar Panel Installation Company
Lastly, the company you opt for to install your solar system can impact how much you pay. Rutherford's solar companies all have different labor costs and add varying upcharges to equipment. Additionally, some companies in Rutherford have more knowledge about local solar incentives and can help you learn about additional rebates or tax exemptions. Though, they may charge more for that service. Even if they cost more upfront, they could end up saving you more money in the long run.
Solar Panel Cost Data by System Size
|System size||Cost per system watt||Solar system cost||25-Year savings||Payback period|
|6 kW||$2.88||$12,099||$10,856||13.2 years|
|8 kW||$2.83||$15,822||$14,785||12.9 years|
|10 kW||$2.77||$19,390||$18,870||12.7 years|
|12 kW||$2.71||$22,803||$23,109||12.4 years|
|14 kW||$2.66||$26,060||$27,503||12.2 years|
|16 kW||$2.60||$29,163||$32,053||11.9 years|
|18 kW||$2.55||$32,110||$36,757||11.7 years|
|20 kW||$2.49||$34,902||$41,617||11.4 years|
How to Save on Solar Panels
There are a large number of companies to choose from in Rutherford, and some homeowners feel overwhelmed considering their options. Choosing the right company for you can be tough, so here are some tips to help you decide:
- Warranty: If you're worried about the durability of your solar energy system, ensuring your company offers a 25-year, all-inclusive warranty can give you some peace of mind.
- Contract: It's important to read your solar installer's contract thoroughly to understand what services they will provide, what the warranty covers and what expectations you should have about the project timeline.
- Solar Panel Brands: Homeowners will have different preferences for panels based on their roof configurations and how much efficiency they need. Even though there are many options for which kind of solar panel you can get, not every company will have the exact one you may want or need, so make sure you take a look at their list of options before making your decision.
- Reputation: Your solar installer should have a solid reputation as a company and have verifiable expertise in the field. A couple of ways to check this are to look for whether a company has technicians that hold a certification from the North American Board of Certified Energy Practitioners (NABCEP) and if it has satisfied reviews from past customers.
EcoWatch's Rutherford, NJ Solar Cost FAQs
Our goal is to reach as many people as we can with sensible solutions like solar energy. Our team of full-time local researchers collects solar price and installation data for every city in America then compiles it to create these digestible city guides. If you want to read our solar expert's opinion on the top solar companies featured here, follow this link.