Solar Panel Cost Guide in Dumont, NJ (Jan 2023)
- Dumont Solar Installation Cost: $9,055
- 25-Year Savings: $8,950
- Payback Period: 12.6 Years
See cost of a solar system near you:
Please enter a valid 5-digit zip code!
Why you can trust EcoWatch
Top Solar Installers in Dumont
DIY solar panel installation is a way to cut costs, but it's an undertaking that can use up a lot of your time and energy. Going with an installer can make converting to solar power much easier. Also, companies with a high reputation that are more expensive upfront could actually save you money in the long term due to their warranties, repair services and expert design.
If you'd like to go solar but still aren't sure which solar company to go with, here are our suggestions for providers in Dumont:
See all of the solar companies in Dumont
Factors that Affect Solar Panel Costs in Dumont
Cost is usually one of the most important factors for homeowners considering investing in solar. There are a few primary factors that will push your cost above or below the average in Dumont: solar equipment and system size, financing options and the solar installation company you choose. We'll discuss each of these briefly below.
The cost of solar panel systems varies by thousands of dollars due to a few different factors. One of the main factors is the system size, which is measured in kilowatts (kW). Solar power systems with higher efficiency or power generation need better technology and/or more equipment, both of which can raise costs. For each additional kilowatt you need, your cost can go up by about $2,770. Some solar brands — like Maxeon from SunPower — are more expensive upfront but also tend to offer better efficiency. In a city like Dumont, where sunlight is relatively abundant, efficiency can quickly pay off. In addition, if you have a small roof or you don't have a lot of space for your panels, higher efficiency options will be a better option. Additional equipment like electric vehicle chargers and solar batteries will also increase the cost.
Solar Financing Terms
If paying for solar panels out of pocket is difficult, solar loans are a popular choice because they lower your upfront costs and allow you to pay for your system over a term of, on average, between five and seven years. When considering your overall cost, you should also calculate the interest you'll pay if you choose to go with a solar loan. Also, paying a higher down payment can reduce the total interest paid over time.
Solar Panel Installation Company
The solar company you hire to handle your switch to green energy can play a role in your total costs. There are about 3 solar installation companies in Dumont, and each can charge varying amounts for labor and equipment. Some companies only sell products with high efficiency and therefore a higher price point — like Maxeon solar panels from SunPower or Tesla Powerwall batteries — so choosing those installers will generally cost more. It's best to do some research and find a company that provides the products, warranties and services you want and also is within your budget.
Solar Panel Cost Data by System Size
|System size||Cost per system watt||Solar system cost||25-Year savings||Payback period|
|6 kW||$2.88||$12,099||$11,055||13.1 years|
|8 kW||$2.83||$15,822||$15,050||12.8 years|
|10 kW||$2.77||$19,390||$19,200||12.6 years|
|12 kW||$2.71||$22,803||$23,506||12.3 years|
|14 kW||$2.66||$26,060||$27,967||12.1 years|
|16 kW||$2.60||$29,163||$32,582||11.8 years|
|18 kW||$2.55||$32,110||$37,353||11.6 years|
|20 kW||$2.49||$34,902||$42,279||11.3 years|
How to Save on Solar Panels
There are a lot of solar installers to choose from, all of which offer different warranties, solar panel brands and price points. To help you select the right company for you, here are some tips to keep in mind:
- Contract: Before signing a contract with a solar installer, make sure you look it over completely so you understand the terms. Also, ask questions if you're not certain about some of the terms, such as what to do if a component breaks or malfunctions and if there are any guarantees about energy production.
- Installation Process: Make sure you're on the same page with the installer regarding how the installation process will go and what needs to be done before your solar panels are installed, such as updating your electrical system or roof.
- Reputation: Your solar installer should have a sound reputation as a company and have demonstrated expertise in the field. A couple of ways to check this are to look for whether a company has technicians that hold a certification from the North American Board of Certified Energy Practitioners (NABCEP) and if it has satisfied reviews from previous customers.
- Solar Panel Brands: The type of solar panel you'd like plays a part in which installer you should choose, since different companies offer different panels.
EcoWatch's Dumont, NJ Solar Cost FAQs
Our goal is to reach as many people as we can with sensible solutions like solar energy. Our team of full-time local researchers collects solar price and installation data for every city in America then compiles it to create these digestible city guides. If you want to read our solar expert's opinion on the top solar companies featured here, follow this link.