Solar Panel Cost Guide in Clifton, NJ (Feb 2023)
- Clifton Solar Installation Cost: $9,249
- 25-Year Savings: $8,601
- Payback Period: 13.0 Years
See cost of a solar system near you:
Please enter a valid 5-digit zip code!
Why you can trust EcoWatch
Top Solar Installers in Clifton
Many homeowners choose to hire a solar installer since trying to install solar panels yourself can be a lot of work. The expertise that solar installers provide can be helpful as well, particularly if you don't quite know what brand of solar equipment you need.
Working with a vetted solar installer can help your solar project go smoothly. Here are our recommendations:
See all of the solar companies in Clifton
Factors that Affect Solar Panel Costs in Clifton
Cost is typically one of the most important factors for homeowners wanting to invest in solar. There are a few key factors that affect your total cost in Clifton: solar equipment and system size, financing options and the solar installation company you choose. We'll go over each of these briefly below.
When it comes to estimating the price of solar panels in Clifton, one of the most crucial factors is the size of the system you need. Solar systems are sized by kilowatts (kW) and are mainly based on your home's energy consumption, which you can gauge by looking at past power bills. Your total cost can increase by around $2,770 for each additional kilowatt you need. The type of solar equipment you choose can bring your price up or down by thousands or even tens of thousands of dollars. If you opt for the most efficient solar panel brands, you'll end up paying more upfront than if you opted for the most affordable panels. On the other hand, higher efficiency could save you more in the long run on your power bills. In addition, extra products, like solar batteries, can bring your total well above the Clifton average.
Solar Financing Terms
Most solar companies in Clifton have solar loans, which reduce the initial cost of installing solar. It's a good idea to add the interest you'll pay in your final cost estimate. If you can afford to pay a larger down payment, you can reduce your total costs and the amount of time it'll take to pay back the loan.
Solar Panel Installation Company
The last key cost factor you should keep in mind is the installer you choose. Given the booming popularity of renewable energy solutions in Clifton, you'll have a great number of options to choose from, but each comes at various price points for labor and equipment. Companies that only sell products with high efficiency and therefore a higher price point — like Maxeon solar panels from SunPower or Tesla Powerwall batteries — so choosing those installers will generally come at a higher cost. It's best to do some research and decide on the company that has the products, warranties and services you're looking for and also is within your budget.
Solar Panel Cost Data by System Size
|System size||Cost per system watt||Solar system cost||25-Year savings||Payback period|
|6 kW||$2.88||$12,099||$10,332||13.5 years|
|8 kW||$2.83||$15,822||$14,087||13.2 years|
|10 kW||$2.77||$19,390||$17,996||13.0 years|
|12 kW||$2.71||$22,803||$22,061||12.7 years|
|14 kW||$2.66||$26,060||$26,280||12.4 years|
|16 kW||$2.60||$29,163||$30,655||12.2 years|
|18 kW||$2.55||$32,110||$35,185||11.9 years|
|20 kW||$2.49||$34,902||$39,870||11.7 years|
How to Save on Solar Panels
The company that does your solar system installation will affect the warranties and brands you have access to, and it will also have an impact on your total cost. Since choosing a company can be a challenge, we have some tips to help you, such as:
- Contract: When looking through your solar company's contract, ask for clarification about any terms you're not sure of and make sure you understand what happens in scenarios such as a system component breaking or the company going out of business.
- Solar Panel Brands: Each solar panel brand and type offers varying levels of quality, longevity and efficiency. They will come at different price points as well. The company you choose impacts which solar panel brands you have access to.
- Installation Process: One of the most important things to understand when going solar is the installation process itself. Be sure to align on any details you should know with your solar installer, such as what permits you should acquire and how long the project will take.
- Reputation: Make sure your solar company has a good reputation by confirming it has certifications and licenses, checking how long it's been in business and reading reviews by previous customers and solar experts like the EcoWatch team.
EcoWatch's Clifton, NJ Solar Cost FAQs
Our goal is to reach as many people as we can with sensible solutions like solar energy. Our team of full-time local researchers collects solar price and installation data for every city in America then compiles it to create these digestible city guides. If you want to read our solar expert's opinion on the top solar companies featured here, follow this link.