Solar Panel Cost Guide in Winston Salem, NC (Feb 2023)
- Winston Salem Solar Installation Cost: $12,393
- 25-Year Savings: $19,762
- Payback Period: 9.6 Years
See cost of a solar system near you:
Please enter a valid 5-digit zip code!
Why you can trust EcoWatch
Top Solar Installers in Winston Salem
Many homeowners choose to hire a solar panel installer since trying to install solar panels yourself can be time-consuming. Companies can also offer access to various kinds of the best solar panels and help you choose which one will be best for your home.
If you're looking for a solar installer in Winston Salem, the EcoWatch team has compiled a list of our top suggestions here:
See all of the solar companies in Winston Salem
Factors that Affect Solar Panel Costs in Winston Salem
For many Winston Salem homeowners, the decision to install a solar energy system rests on cost. However, the range of solar installation costs can be quite wide in Winston Salem, with typical prices between $20,000 to $40,000. There are numerous factors that greatly influence the price you'll pay, which we'll go over below.
When it comes to estimating the cost of a solar system in Winston Salem, one of the most important factors is the size of the system you need. Solar systems are sized by kilowatts (kW) and are chiefly based on your home's energy usage, which you can determine by looking at past power bills. Your overall cost can increase by around $2,540 for each additional kilowatt you need. The solar equipment you choose can bring your price up or down by thousands or even tens of thousands of dollars. If you opt for the most efficient solar panel brands, you'll end up paying more upfront than if you opted for the most affordable panels. However, more efficient panels could save you more over time on your power bills. In addition, extra products, such as solar batteries, can bring your total well above the Winston Salem average.
Solar Financing Terms
For some homeowners, paying for a solar system out of pocket can be difficult. Solar loans are provided by most installers in Winston Salem, which can bring down, or in some cases totally eliminate, your upfront costs to make solar more accessible. It's a good idea to include the interest you'll pay in your final cost estimate. If you can afford to pay a larger down payment, you can reduce your total costs and how long it'll take to pay back the loan.
Solar Panel Installation Company
The final significant cost factor you should take into consideration is the installer you choose. Given the booming popularity of clean energy solutions in Winston Salem, you'll have many options to choose from, but each comes at various price points for labor and equipment. Additionally, some companies in Winston Salem are more knowledgeable about local solar incentives and can help you make good use of additional rebates or tax exemptions. Though, they may charge more for walking you through the whole process. Even if they cost more upfront, they could end up saving you more money in the long run.
Solar Panel Cost Data by System Size
|System size||Cost per system watt||Solar system cost||25-Year savings||Payback period|
|6 kW||$2.64||$11,095||$16,565||10.0 years|
|8 kW||$2.59||$14,508||$22,372||9.8 years|
|10 kW||$2.54||$17,780||$28,320||9.6 years|
|12 kW||$2.49||$20,909||$34,411||9.4 years|
|14 kW||$2.44||$23,896||$40,644||9.3 years|
|16 kW||$2.39||$26,741||$47,019||9.1 years|
|18 kW||$2.34||$29,444||$53,537||8.9 years|
|20 kW||$2.29||$32,004||$60,197||8.7 years|
How to Save on Solar Panels
There are a lot of companies to choose from in Winston Salem, and some homeowners feel overwhelmed considering their options. Selecting the right company for you can be difficult, so here are some tips to help you decide:
- Reputation: Make sure your solar system installer has a good reputation by verifying it has certifications and licenses, checking its number of years in business and reading reviews by past customers and solar experts like the EcoWatch team.
- Contract: It's important to look over your solar installer's contract closely to understand what services they will provide, what the warranty covers and what expectations you should have about the installation process.
- Solar Panel Brands: Homeowners will have different preferences for panels depending on their roof configurations and how much efficiency they need. While there are many options for which brand of solar panel you can get, not every company will have the exact one you may want or need, so be sure to take a look at their list of offerings before making your decision.
- Installation Process: When making the switch to solar, it's necessary to keep an open line of communication with your solar company. See to it that you understand how the installation process will go and the completion timeline.
EcoWatch's Winston Salem, NC Solar Cost FAQs
Our goal is to reach as many people as we can with sensible solutions like solar energy. Our team of full-time local researchers collects solar price and installation data for every city in America then compiles it to create these digestible city guides. If you want to read our solar expert's opinion on the top solar companies featured here, follow this link.