Solar Panel Cost Guide in Wilmington, NC (Feb 2023)
- Wilmington Solar Installation Cost: $11,326
- 25-Year Savings: $20,949
- Payback Period: 8.8 Years
See cost of a solar system near you:
Please enter a valid 5-digit zip code!
Why you can trust EcoWatch
Top Solar Installers in Wilmington
Although you can install solar panels yourself, it involves extra energy and knowledge. For that reason, the majority of homeowners choose to go with a solar panel installer. A solar installer can also help save you money in the long run by offering warranties, repairs and system component replacements.
There are a number of licensed solar professionals that can help you install your solar panels. Here are our suggestions:
See all of the solar companies in Wilmington
Factors that Affect Solar Panel Costs in Wilmington
There are several criteria that can influence your installation cost, such as the size of your system, the equipment you choose, your financing options and the specific company that does the installation.
The cost of solar panel systems varies by thousands of dollars due to a few different factors. One of the major factors is the system size, which is measured in kilowatts (kW). Solar power systems with higher efficiency or power generation need better technology and/or more equipment, both of which can increase costs. For each additional kilowatt you need, your cost can go up by about $2,540. Some solar brands — like Maxeon from SunPower — cost more upfront but also tend to offer better efficiency. In a city like Wilmington, where sunlight is abundant, efficiency can quickly pay off. Plus, if you have a small roof or you don't have a lot of space for your panels, higher efficiency options will be a better option. Additional equipment like electric vehicle chargers and solar batteries will also increase the cost.
Solar Financing Terms
Most solar installers in Wilmington have solar loans, which reduce your upfront costs of installing solar. It's wise to factor the interest you'll pay in your final cost estimate. If you can afford to pay a larger down payment, you can reduce your total costs and the amount of time it'll take to pay back the loan.
Solar Panel Installation Company
The remaining major cost factor you should keep in mind is the installer you choose. Given the massive popularity of clean energy solutions in Wilmington, you'll have a great number of options to choose from, but each comes at varying price points for labor and equipment. Companies that only sell products with high efficiency and therefore a higher price point — like Maxeon solar panels from SunPower or Tesla Powerwall batteries — so choosing those installers will generally come at a higher cost. It's best to do some research and go with the company that has the products, warranties and services you're looking for and also is within your budget.
Solar Panel Cost Data by System Size
|System size||Cost per system watt||Solar system cost||25-Year savings||Payback period|
|6 kW||$2.64||$11,095||$19,297||9.1 years|
|8 kW||$2.59||$14,508||$26,014||9.0 years|
|10 kW||$2.54||$17,780||$32,873||8.8 years|
|12 kW||$2.49||$20,909||$39,874||8.6 years|
|14 kW||$2.44||$23,896||$47,018||8.4 years|
|16 kW||$2.39||$26,741||$54,304||8.2 years|
|18 kW||$2.34||$29,444||$61,732||8.1 years|
|20 kW||$2.29||$32,004||$69,302||7.9 years|
How to Save on Solar Panels
The company that does your solar system installation will affect the warranties and brands available to you, and it will also have an impact on your total cost. Since choosing a company can be a challenge, we have some tips to help you, such as:
- Installation Process: When going solar, it's necessary to maintain an open line of communication with your solar company. See to it that you understand how the installation process will go and the completion timeline.
- Solar Panel Brands: Not all solar installers offer the same brands of solar panels, so the brand and type of panel you want can play a substantial role in the company you choose.
- Reputation: The North American Board of Certified Energy Practitioners (NABCEP) is a respected certification organization for clean energy professionals. If your solar panel installer is NABCEP-certified, it likely has a good reputation and is qualified to get the job done well. Another way you can research your installer's reputation is by reading reviews.
- Contract: Before signing a contract with a solar installer, make sure you read it through completely so you understand the terms. Also, ask questions if you're not sure about some of the terms, such as what to do if a part breaks or malfunctions and what services you can expect from them.
EcoWatch's Wilmington, NC Solar Cost FAQs
Our goal is to reach as many people as we can with sensible solutions like solar energy. Our team of full-time local researchers collects solar price and installation data for every city in America then compiles it to create these digestible city guides. If you want to read our solar expert's opinion on the top solar companies featured here, follow this link.