Solar Panel Cost Guide in Clayton, NC (Feb 2023)
- Clayton Solar Installation Cost: $12,428
- 25-Year Savings: $21,498
- Payback Period: 9.2 Years
See cost of a solar system near you:
Please enter a valid 5-digit zip code!
Why you can trust EcoWatch
Top Solar Installers in Clayton
DIY solar panel installation is a way to cut costs, but it's an undertaking that can take a lot of hard work. Hiring a solar company can make switching to solar power much easier. Plus, if you're unsure what type of solar panels and equipment you need, a solar company can help you figure that out after a site survey and consultation.
There are various licensed solar professionals that can help you install your solar panels. Here are our suggestions:
See all of the solar companies in Clayton
Factors that Affect Solar Panel Costs in Clayton
There are several criteria that can play into your installation cost, such as the size of your system, the equipment you choose, your financing options and the specific company that installs your solar panels.
When it comes to estimating the cost of solar panels in Clayton, one of the most crucial factors is the size of the system you need. Solar systems are sized by kilowatts (kW) and are largely based on your home's energy usage, which you can determine by looking at past power bills. Your total cost can increase by around $2,540 for each additional kilowatt you need. The brand and kind of equipment you get for your solar system can raise or lower the price quite significantly. If you prefer a trusted brand name like Tesla or SunPower, these often have a higher price tag than other brands. Efficiency also matters. Whether you're opting for high efficiency because you have a small roof or just want maximum energy production, you can expect a higher equipment cost, but this can typically lead to greater savings over time. Plus, if you want extra equipment like an electric vehicle charger or solar batteries, this will also increase the cost.
Solar Financing Terms
Many homeowners find the average cost of solar in Clayton to be prohibitively costly, even if the investment pays off over time. Fortunately, nearly every solar installer in the area provides access to financing options. Solar loans greatly decrease upfront costs for most homeowners, but they also lead to higher prices over time due to interest. When estimating your overall cost, you should also calculate the interest you'll pay if you decide on a solar loan. Also, paying a higher down payment can lower the total interest paid over time.
Solar Panel Installation Company
A final factor to consider when trying to figure out the cost of solar for your home or business in Clayton is the company you choose to install your solar panel system. Similar to choosing a company to renovate your kitchen, for instance, there are plenty of solar installers that provide a range of services at different costs. Larger national companies generally have lower costs, but some local companies keep up with them by promoting sales and discounts. While the smaller companies might not have specific equipment options like Tesla Powerwall batteries or add-on services like electric vehicle charger installation, they might be cheaper overall.
Solar Panel Cost Data by System Size
|System size||Cost per system watt||Solar system cost||25-Year savings||Payback period|
|6 kW||$2.64||$11,095||$18,041||9.5 years|
|8 kW||$2.59||$14,508||$24,339||9.3 years|
|10 kW||$2.54||$17,780||$30,779||9.2 years|
|12 kW||$2.49||$20,909||$37,362||9.0 years|
|14 kW||$2.44||$23,896||$44,087||8.8 years|
|16 kW||$2.39||$26,741||$50,954||8.6 years|
|18 kW||$2.34||$29,444||$57,963||8.4 years|
|20 kW||$2.29||$32,004||$65,114||8.2 years|
How to Save on Solar Panels
There are a lot of companies available in Clayton, and some homeowners feel overwhelmed considering their options. Choosing the right company for you can be difficult, so here are some tips to help you decide:
- Reputation: The North American Board of Certified Energy Practitioners (NABCEP) is a respected certification organization for renewable energy professionals. If your solar panel installer is NABCEP-certified, it most likely has a good reputation and is qualified to get the job done well. Another way you can verify your installer's reputation is by reading reviews.
- Contract: Before signing a contract with a solar installer, make sure you look it over fully so you understand the terms. Also, ask questions if you're unsure about some of the terms, such as what the warranty covers and if there are any guarantees about energy production.
- Solar Panel Brands: Different companies will carry various brands and kinds of panels. If you prefer a specific brand, make sure the solar installer you're considering has it.
- Installation Process: When making the switch to solar, it's essential to keep an open line of communication with your solar panel company. Confirm that you understand how the installation process will go and the project completion timeline.
EcoWatch's Clayton, NC Solar Cost FAQs
Our goal is to reach as many people as we can with sensible solutions like solar energy. Our team of full-time local researchers collects solar price and installation data for every city in America then compiles it to create these digestible city guides. If you want to read our solar expert's opinion on the top solar companies featured here, follow this link.