Solar Panel Cost Guide in Columbia, MS (Jan 2023)
- Columbia Solar Installation Cost: $15,246
- 25-Year Savings: $30,594
- Payback Period: 8.3 Years
See cost of a solar system near you:
Please enter a valid 5-digit zip code!
Why you can trust EcoWatch
Top Solar Installers in Columbia
Installing solar panels yourself can be a challenging task, which is why getting a solar installer is a good option for many homeowners. Another perk of using a solar company is that they can help you make the most of your return of investment by bringing down your future costs of repairs and replacements due to warranties and giving you information on local incentives you can take advantage of.
If you're on the hunt for a solar company in Columbia, we've compiled a list of our top suggestions here:
See all of the solar companies in Columbia
Factors that Affect Solar Panel Costs in Columbia
Though the average cost of a solar system in Columbia is $15,246, your actual cost may differ. There are many factors that can have a major impact on the cost of a solar panel installation. Below are some of the more important things to consider.
One of the most significant factors to consider when it comes to the cost of going solar is the size of the solar system, which is measured in kilowatts (kW). The more power your household uses, the larger your system will likely need to be. You can expect to spend about $2,640 per kilowatt in Columbia. The brand and type of equipment you want for your solar system can raise or lower the price quite significantly. If you prefer a trusted brand name like Tesla or SunPower, these often come at a higher price than other brands. Efficiency also matters. Whether you're opting for high efficiency because you have a small roof or just want maximum energy production, you can expect a higher equipment cost, but this can typically lead to greater savings over time. Also, if you want extra equipment like an electric vehicle charger or solar batteries, this will also increase the cost.
Solar Financing Terms
Most solar companies in Columbia have solar loans, which reduce your upfront costs of installing solar panels. When considering your overall cost, you should also calculate the interest you'll pay if you opt for a solar loan. Also, paying a higher down payment can lower the total interest paid over time.
Solar Panel Installation Company
The solar company you hire to handle your switch to green energy can play a part in your total costs. There are about 3 solar installation companies operating in Columbia, and each can charge different amounts for labor and equipment. Larger national companies usually have lower costs, but some local companies undercut them by offering sales and discounts. While the smaller companies might not have specific equipment options like Tesla Powerwall batteries or add-on services like electric vehicle charger installation, they might be cheaper overall.
Solar Panel Cost Data by System Size
|System size||Cost per system watt||Solar system cost||25-Year savings||Payback period|
|6 kW||$2.75||$11,532||$21,795||8.7 years|
|8 kW||$2.69||$15,080||$29,356||8.5 years|
|10 kW||$2.64||$18,480||$37,064||8.3 years|
|12 kW||$2.59||$21,732||$44,920||8.2 years|
|14 kW||$2.53||$24,837||$52,925||8.0 years|
|16 kW||$2.48||$27,794||$61,077||7.8 years|
|18 kW||$2.43||$30,603||$69,377||7.7 years|
|20 kW||$2.38||$33,264||$77,824||7.5 years|
How to Save on Solar Panels
There are many solar installers to choose from, all of which offer different warranties, solar panel models and price points. To help you find the right company for you, here are some tips to keep in mind:
- Reputation: The North American Board of Certified Energy Practitioners (NABCEP) is a respected certification organization for clean energy professionals. If your solar panel installer is NABCEP-certified, it most likely has a good reputation and is qualified to do the job well. Another way you can research your installer's reputation is by reading reviews.
- Solar Panel Brands: Each solar panel brand and type offers varying levels of quality, durability and efficiency. They will come at different costs as well. The company you choose impacts which solar panel brands you have access to.
- Warranty: A high-quality company rises above other companies by offering the gold standard warranty — a 25-year, all-inclusive warranty covering parts, labor and performance.
- Contract: Though reading through a contract can take a lot of time, it's important to do it fully so you can be sure you understand how much the equipment and services will cost and how part repairs and replacements will be handled.
EcoWatch's Columbia, MS Solar Cost FAQs
Our goal is to reach as many people as we can with sensible solutions like solar energy. Our team of full-time local researchers collects solar price and installation data for every city in America then compiles it to create these digestible city guides. If you want to read our solar expert's opinion on the top solar companies featured here, follow this link.