Solar Panel Cost Guide in Troy, MO (Jan 2023)
- Troy Solar Installation Cost: $13,162
- 25-Year Savings: $16,124
- Payback Period: 11.2 Years
See cost of a solar system near you:
Please enter a valid 5-digit zip code!
Why you can trust EcoWatch
Top Solar Installers in Troy
When making the switch to solar, many homeowners opt to hire a solar company since installing a solar system yourself can be a time-consuming project. The expertise that solar companies provide can be valuable as well, especially if you don't quite know what kind of solar equipment you need.
You can work with a local solar installer to get a free quote on how much your investment in solar could cost for your home. Here are some near you:
See all of the solar companies in Troy
Factors that Affect Solar Panel Costs in Troy
Though the average cost of a solar system in Troy is $13,162, your final cost may be above or below the average. There are quite a few factors that can have a major impact on the cost of a residential solar panel installation. Below are some of the more crucial things to consider.
System size, which is measured in kilowatts, is one of the largest factors that affects the overall cost of installing solar panels. That's why it's important to accurately gauge the size of the solar energy system needed for your home by figuring out your typical energy use. Some solar brands — like Maxeon from SunPower — are more expensive upfront but also tend to offer better efficiency. In a city like Troy, where sunlight is relatively abundant, efficiency can quickly pay off. In addition, if you have a small roof or limited space for your panels, higher efficiency options will be more impactful. Additional equipment like electric vehicle chargers and solar batteries will also increase the cost.
Solar Financing Terms
If paying for solar panels out of pocket is out of reach, solar loans are a popular choice because they decrease your upfront costs and let you pay for your system over five to seven years on average. You'll have to consider the long-term cost of loans, including the total interest you'll pay over the length of the loan. If you're only able to get a high-interest loan, then your total can be hundreds or even thousands of dollars more than the principal cost. Making a larger down payment or securing a solar loan with a low APR could reduce your costs significantly.
Solar Panel Installation Company
The solar installer you pick will affect your total cost to adopt solar power. Different companies will bill different amounts for the equipment and labor. Larger national companies usually have lower costs, but some local companies keep up with them by offering sales and discounts. While the smaller companies might not have access to specific equipment options like Tesla Powerwall batteries or add-on services like electric vehicle charger installation, they might be cheaper overall.
Solar Panel Cost Data by System Size
|System size||Cost per system watt||Solar system cost||25-Year savings||Payback period|
|6 kW||$2.69||$11,313||$12,905||11.7 years|
|8 kW||$2.64||$14,794||$17,497||11.5 years|
|10 kW||$2.59||$18,130||$22,234||11.2 years|
|12 kW||$2.54||$21,321||$27,116||11.0 years|
|14 kW||$2.49||$24,367||$32,143||10.8 years|
|16 kW||$2.43||$27,268||$37,315||10.6 years|
|18 kW||$2.38||$30,023||$42,632||10.3 years|
|20 kW||$2.33||$32,634||$48,094||10.1 years|
How to Save on Solar Panels
There are numerous companies to choose from in Troy, and some homeowners feel overwhelmed considering their options. Picking the right company for you can be tough, so here are some tips to help you decide:
- Solar Panel Brands: The type of solar panel you need plays a role in which company you should choose, since different companies have different panels.
- Contract: When reading through your solar company's contract, ask for clarification about any terms you're not sure of and be sure you understand what happens in scenarios like a system part breaking or the company going out of business.
- Installation Process: Make sure you're on the same page with the company with regard to how the installation process will go and what needs to be done before your solar panels are installed, such as updating or replacing your electrical system or roof.
- Reputation: Your solar installer should have a solid reputation as a company and have proven expertise in the field. A couple of ways to check this are to look for whether a company has technicians that hold a certification from the North American Board of Certified Energy Practitioners (NABCEP) and if it has satisfied reviews from past customers.
EcoWatch's Troy, MO Solar Cost FAQs
Our goal is to reach as many people as we can with sensible solutions like solar energy. Our team of full-time local researchers collects solar price and installation data for every city in America then compiles it to create these digestible city guides. If you want to read our solar expert's opinion on the top solar companies featured here, follow this link.