Solar Panel Cost Guide in St Paul, MN (Jan 2023)
- St Paul Solar Installation Cost: $14,353
- 25-Year Savings: $21,517
- Payback Period: 10.0 Years
See cost of a solar system near you:
Please enter a valid 5-digit zip code!
Why you can trust EcoWatch
Top Solar Installers in St Paul
DIY solar panel installation is a way to cut costs, but it's an undertaking that can take a lot of hard work. Going with an installer can make your swap to solar power much easier. The expertise that solar installers provide can be invaluable as well, especially if you don't quite know what type of solar equipment you need.
There are a number of licensed solar professionals that can take care of your solar installation project. Here are our suggestions:
See all of the solar companies in St Paul
Factors that Affect Solar Panel Costs in St Paul
There are many criteria that can influence your installation cost, such as the size of your system, the equipment you choose, your financing options and the specific company that installs your solar system.
The size of the solar system you need, which is measured in kilowatts, is the most important cost factor to consider. For every additional kilowatt you need, your total will most likely increase by about $2,840. The type of solar equipment you choose can bring your price up or down by thousands or even tens of thousands of dollars. If you opt for the most efficient solar panel brands, you'll end up paying more upfront than if you opted for the most affordable panels. However, more efficient panels could save you more over time on your energy bills. In addition, add-on products, such as solar batteries, can bump up your total well above the St Paul average.
Solar Financing Terms
If paying for solar panels in cash is too expensive, solar loans are a popular choice because they cut back your upfront costs and allow you to pay for your system over five to seven years on average. However, the interest on solar loans also adds to your total costs, so it's important to include that in your estimate as well. You can always bring down the total you pay in interest and sometimes even your APR by making a larger down payment.
Solar Panel Installation Company
A final factor to consider when trying to evaluate the cost of solar for your home or business in St Paul is the company you choose to install your PV system. As with choosing a company to build a deck or pool, for example, there are plenty of solar installers that offer a range of services at different price points. The company's size can sometimes play the most considerable role in the installation costs. Larger national companies, like SunPro and Sunrun, often have lower pricing because of access to greater resources and better pricing. Smaller local companies might be more costly, but they generally have better customer service and more customization options, and the occasional sale or discount can bring their pricing down to compete with bigger names.
Solar Panel Cost Data by System Size
|System size||Cost per system watt||Solar system cost||25-Year savings||Payback period|
|6 kW||$2.95||$12,405||$17,421||10.4 years|
|8 kW||$2.90||$16,222||$23,546||10.2 years|
|10 kW||$2.84||$19,880||$29,830||10.0 years|
|12 kW||$2.78||$23,379||$36,273||9.8 years|
|14 kW||$2.73||$26,719||$42,875||9.6 years|
|16 kW||$2.67||$29,900||$49,636||9.4 years|
|18 kW||$2.61||$32,921||$56,557||9.2 years|
|20 kW||$2.56||$35,784||$63,636||9.0 years|
How to Save on Solar Panels
There are numerous companies available in St Paul, and some homeowners feel overwhelmed considering their options. Choosing the right company for you can be challenging, so here are some tips to help you decide:
- Solar Panel Brands: Different companies will carry different brands and models of panels. If you want a specific brand, make sure the solar panel company you're considering has it.
- Contract: Even though reading through a contract can take a lot of time, it's important to do it fully so you can be sure you understand what services your solar company will provide and the terms of the warranty.
- Reputation: Your solar installer should have a solid reputation as a company and have demonstrated expertise in the field. A couple of ways to check this are to look for whether a company has technicians certified by the North American Board of Certified Energy Practitioners (NABCEP) and if it has positive reviews from previous customers.
- Installation Process: When making the switch to solar power, it's necessary to keep an open line of communication with your solar panel company. Make sure you understand how the installation process works and the project completion timeline.
EcoWatch's St Paul, MN Solar Cost FAQs
Our goal is to reach as many people as we can with sensible solutions like solar energy. Our team of full-time local researchers collects solar price and installation data for every city in America then compiles it to create these digestible city guides. If you want to read our solar expert's opinion on the top solar companies featured here, follow this link.