Solar Panel Cost Guide in Rochester, MN (Feb 2023)
- Rochester Solar Installation Cost: $14,333
- 25-Year Savings: $22,736
- Payback Period: 9.7 Years
See cost of a solar system near you:
Please enter a valid 5-digit zip code!
Why you can trust EcoWatch
Top Solar Installers in Rochester
When making the switch to solar, many homeowners prefer to hire a solar company since installing solar panels yourself can be a challenging project. Also, if you'd like to maximize your investment in solar, opting for a solar installer can help with that too. Different providers can offer repairs, expertise on how to install solar panels and sometimes even information on local incentives and net metering programs.
Working with a licensed solar installer can help your solar project go smoothly. Here are our recommendations:
See all of the solar companies in Rochester
Factors that Affect Solar Panel Costs in Rochester
Though the average cost of a solar system in Rochester is $14,333, your final cost may be above or below the average. There are many factors that can have a significant impact on the cost of a solar panel installation. Below are some of the more important things to keep in mind.
The cost of solar panels varies by thousands of dollars due to a variety of factors. One of the key factors is the system size, which is measured in kilowatts (kW). Solar power systems that have greater efficiency or power generation use better technology and/or more equipment, both of which can increase costs. For each additional kilowatt you need, your cost can go up by about $2,840. The brand and type of equipment you get for your solar system can increase or decrease the price quite significantly. If you prefer a brand name like Tesla or SunPower, these often come at a higher price than other brands. Efficiency also matters. Whether you're opting for high efficiency because you have a small roof or just want maximum energy production, you can expect a higher equipment cost, but this can typically lead to greater savings over time. Plus, if you want extra equipment like an electric vehicle charger or solar batteries, this will also raise the cost.
Solar Financing Terms
Solar panels can save you money on power bills over time, but they can also be a big investment. That's why many Rochester homeowners opt to finance their solar panel systems to offset upfront costs. When trying to figure out your overall cost, you should also calculate the interest you'll pay if you opt for a solar loan. Also, paying more on your down payment can lower the total interest paid over time.
Solar Panel Installation Company
The solar installer you pick will play a role in your total cost to go solar. Different companies will charge different amounts for the equipment and labor. Additionally, some companies in Rochester know more about local solar incentives and can help you take advantage of additional rebates or tax exemptions. Though, they may charge more for that service. Even if they cost more upfront, they could end up saving you more money in the long run.
Solar Panel Cost Data by System Size
|System size||Cost per system watt||Solar system cost||25-Year savings||Payback period|
|6 kW||$2.95||$12,405||$18,439||10.1 years|
|8 kW||$2.90||$16,222||$24,904||9.9 years|
|10 kW||$2.84||$19,880||$31,527||9.7 years|
|12 kW||$2.78||$23,379||$38,310||9.5 years|
|14 kW||$2.73||$26,719||$45,252||9.3 years|
|16 kW||$2.67||$29,900||$52,352||9.1 years|
|18 kW||$2.61||$32,921||$59,612||8.9 years|
|20 kW||$2.56||$35,784||$67,031||8.7 years|
How to Save on Solar Panels
There are many solar installers to choose from, all of which offer different warranties, solar panel brands and price points. To help you decide on the right company for you, here are some tips to keep in mind:
- Solar Panel Brands: Each solar panel brand and kind has varying levels of quality, longevity and energy efficiency. They will come at different price points as well. The company you choose affects which solar panel brands you have access to.
- Warranty: A high-quality company stands out from other companies by offering the gold standard warranty — a 25-year, all-inclusive warranty covering parts, labor and performance.
- Reputation: Make sure your solar panel installer has a good reputation by verifying it has certifications and licenses, checking how long it's been in business and reading reviews by previous customers and solar experts like EcoWatch.
- Contract: Before signing a contract with a solar installer, be sure to read it through carefully so you understand the terms. Also, ask questions if you aren't sure about some of the terms, such as what to do if a component breaks or malfunctions and if there are any guarantees about energy production.
EcoWatch's Rochester, MN Solar Cost FAQs
Our goal is to reach as many people as we can with sensible solutions like solar energy. Our team of full-time local researchers collects solar price and installation data for every city in America then compiles it to create these digestible city guides. If you want to read our solar expert's opinion on the top solar companies featured here, follow this link.