Solar Panel Cost Guide in Sterling Heights, MI (Jan 2023)
- Sterling Heights Solar Installation Cost: $11,959
- 25-Year Savings: $13,160
- Payback Period: 11.9 Years
See cost of a solar system near you:
Please enter a valid 5-digit zip code!
Why you can trust EcoWatch
Top Solar Installers in Sterling Heights
When going solar, many homeowners decide to go with a solar company since DIY solar panel installation can be a difficult project. The expertise that solar installers offer can be helpful as well, particularly if you aren't sure what type of solar equipment would be right for your home.
If you'd like to make the switch to solar but still aren't sure which solar panel installer to go with, here are our suggestions for providers near you:
See all of the solar companies in Sterling Heights
Factors that Affect Solar Panel Costs in Sterling Heights
The cost of installing a solar system in Sterling Heights can vary by more than $10,000 from home to home. Your actual cost is determined by several factors. The most significant one is your system size, and other factors include equipment choices, financing options and the solar installer you choose.
One of the most important factors to consider when it comes to the cost of adopting solar energy is the size of the solar system, which is measured in kilowatts (kW). The more power your household consumes, the larger your system will likely need to be. You can expect to pay about $2,810 per kilowatt in Sterling Heights. Some solar panel brands — like Maxeon from SunPower — are more costly upfront but also tend to offer higher efficiency. In a city like Sterling Heights, where sunlight is relatively abundant, efficiency can quickly pay off. Plus, if you have a small roof or limited space for your panels, higher efficiency options will be more impactful. Additional equipment like electric vehicle chargers and solar batteries will also increase the cost.
Solar Financing Terms
If paying for solar panels out of pocket is too expensive, solar loans are a popular option because they decrease your upfront costs and let you pay for your system over a term of, on average, between five and seven years. When figuring out your overall cost, you should also calculate the interest you'll pay if you decide on a solar loan. Also, paying a higher down payment can lower the total interest paid over time.
Solar Panel Installation Company
A final factor to keep in mind when trying to figure out the cost of solar for your home or business in Sterling Heights is the company you hire to install your PV system. As with choosing a company to install new cabinets, for instance, you'll have no shortage of solar installers that offer a range of services for different budgets. Larger national companies generally have lower costs, but some local companies undercut them by offering sales and discounts. While the smaller companies might not have specific equipment options like Tesla Powerwall batteries or additional services like electric car charger installation, they might be cheaper overall.
Solar Panel Cost Data by System Size
|System size||Cost per system watt||Solar system cost||25-Year savings||Payback period|
|6 kW||$2.92||$12,274||$12,529||12.4 years|
|8 kW||$2.87||$16,051||$17,020||12.1 years|
|10 kW||$2.81||$19,670||$21,668||11.9 years|
|12 kW||$2.75||$23,132||$26,474||11.7 years|
|14 kW||$2.70||$26,436||$31,437||11.4 years|
|16 kW||$2.64||$29,584||$36,557||11.2 years|
|18 kW||$2.59||$32,574||$41,835||10.9 years|
|20 kW||$2.53||$35,406||$47,270||10.7 years|
How to Save on Solar Panels
There are many solar installers to choose from, all of which offer different warranties, solar panel brands and price points. To help you select the right company for you, here are some tips to keep in mind:
- Reputation: Your solar installer should have a good reputation as a company and have demonstrated expertise in the field. A couple of ways to check this are to look for whether a company has technicians certified by the North American Board of Certified Energy Practitioners (NABCEP) and if it has satisfied reviews from previous customers.
- Contract: It's important to read your solar installer's contract carefully to understand what services they will provide, what the warranty covers and what expectations you should have about your solar system's energy production.
- Solar Panel Brands: Homeowners will have different preferences for panels based on their locations and energy needs. Although there are many options for which model of solar panel you can get, not every company will have access to the exact one you may want or need, so be sure to peruse their list of options before deciding.
- Installation Process: Homeowners should understand how exactly the installation process will go, as well as important factors like the completion timeline.
EcoWatch's Sterling Heights, MI Solar Cost FAQs
Our goal is to reach as many people as we can with sensible solutions like solar energy. Our team of full-time local researchers collects solar price and installation data for every city in America then compiles it to create these digestible city guides. If you want to read our solar expert's opinion on the top solar companies featured here, follow this link.