Solar Panel Cost Guide in Rochester Hills, MI (Feb 2023)
- Rochester Hills Solar Installation Cost: $12,156
- 25-Year Savings: $12,964
- Payback Period: 12.1 Years
See cost of a solar system near you:
Please enter a valid 5-digit zip code!
Why you can trust EcoWatch
Top Solar Installers in Rochester Hills
Installing solar panels yourself can be a time-consuming project, which is why hiring a solar installer is a good option for many homeowners. Also, companies with a good reputation that cost more upfront could actually save you money in the long run with their warranties, repair services and expert design.
You can get a free estimate from a local solar installer on the cost of solar panels for your home. Here are some near you:
See all of the solar companies in Rochester Hills
Factors that Affect Solar Panel Costs in Rochester Hills
Though the average cost of a solar system in Rochester Hills is $12,156, your final cost may be higher or lower than that. There are quite a few factors that can have a significant impact on the cost of a residential solar panel installation. Below are some of the more important things to consider.
When it comes to estimating the price of solar panels in Rochester Hills, one of the most crucial factors is the size of the system you need. Solar systems are sized by kilowatts (kW) and are mainly based on your home's energy usage, which you can determine by looking at past power bills. Your total cost can increase by about $2,810 for each additional kilowatt you need. There are many different solar panel brands and the one you choose also affects the cost. Typically, the brands that have better efficiency tend to also be more expensive. In addition, the type of equipment you choose can affect your total cost. If you only need panels, your system will be much less expensive than if you also need solar batteries or an electric vehicle charger.
Solar Financing Terms
For some homeowners, paying for solar out of pocket can be challenging. Solar loans are provided by most installers in Rochester Hills, which can bring down, or in some cases totally eliminate, your upfront costs to make solar more affordable. Although solar loans make switching to solar energy more accessible for Rochester Hills homeowners, they can also add to the total you pay for your system, depending on your interest rate and how long you take to pay off the loan. If you make a larger down payment, though, you can cut back on how much interest you have to pay.
Solar Panel Installation Company
The solar installer you choose will impact your total cost to go solar. Different companies will charge different amounts for the equipment and labor. Companies that only sell high-efficiency and high-priced products — like Maxeon solar panels from SunPower or Tesla Powerwall batteries — so choosing those installers will generally come at a higher cost. It's best to do some research and find a company that provides the products, warranties and services you're looking for and also is within your budget.
Solar Panel Cost Data by System Size
|System size||Cost per system watt||Solar system cost||25-Year savings||Payback period|
|6 kW||$2.92||$12,274||$12,125||12.6 years|
|8 kW||$2.87||$16,051||$16,481||12.3 years|
|10 kW||$2.81||$19,670||$20,995||12.1 years|
|12 kW||$2.75||$23,132||$25,666||11.9 years|
|14 kW||$2.70||$26,436||$30,494||11.6 years|
|16 kW||$2.64||$29,584||$35,480||11.4 years|
|18 kW||$2.59||$32,574||$40,623||11.1 years|
|20 kW||$2.53||$35,406||$45,924||10.9 years|
How to Save on Solar Panels
There are a lot of companies to choose from in Rochester Hills, and some homeowners feel overwhelmed considering their options. Selecting the right company for you can be difficult, so here are some tips to help you decide:
- Reputation: The North American Board of Certified Energy Practitioners (NABCEP) is a well-established certification organization for sustainable energy professionals. If your solar panel installer is NABCEP-certified, it likely has a good reputation and is qualified to do the job well. Another way you can check your installer's reputation is by reading reviews.
- Contract: It's important to look over your solar installer's contract carefully to understand what services they will provide, what the warranty covers and what expectations you should have about the project timeline.
- Installation Process: When making the switch to solar power, it's important to keep an open line of communication with your solar panel installer. Confirm that you understand how the installation process works and the project timeline.
- Solar Panel Brands: Homeowners will have different preferences for panels depending on their locations and energy needs. Although there are many options for which model of solar panel you can get, not every company will have access to the exact one you may want or need, so be sure to ask for their list of offerings before making your decision.
EcoWatch's Rochester Hills, MI Solar Cost FAQs
Our goal is to reach as many people as we can with sensible solutions like solar energy. Our team of full-time local researchers collects solar price and installation data for every city in America then compiles it to create these digestible city guides. If you want to read our solar expert's opinion on the top solar companies featured here, follow this link.