Solar Panel Cost Guide in Reading, MA (Feb 2023)
- Reading Solar Installation Cost: $9,179
- 25-Year Savings: $15,031
- Payback Period: 9.5 Years
See cost of a solar system near you:
Please enter a valid 5-digit zip code!
Why you can trust EcoWatch
Top Solar Installers in Reading
Installing solar panels yourself can be a difficult task, which is why using a solar installation company is a good option for many homeowners. Also, companies with a good reputation that cost more upfront could actually save you money in the long term with their warranties, repair services and expert design.
If you'd like to start using solar energy but still aren't sure which solar company to go with, here are our suggestions for providers in Reading:
See all of the solar companies in Reading
Factors that Affect Solar Panel Costs in Reading
There are many factors that can influence your installation cost, such as the size of your system, the equipment you choose, your financing options and the specific company that does the installation.
The cost of solar panel systems varies by thousands of dollars due to some different factors. One of the major factors is the system size, which is measured in kilowatts (kW). Solar power systems with higher efficiency or power generation require better technology and/or more equipment, both of which can raise costs. For each additional kilowatt you need, your cost can go up by about $2,940. The type of solar panels and equipment you get is another factor that will substantially impact costs. Solar panels that have higher efficiency, like monocrystalline panels, tend to cost more. Furthermore, solar equipment goes beyond just the solar panels themselves. You'll also need to think about the kind of racks used to mount the panels, inverters, solar batteries, etc. It's important to take all of this into consideration when searching for a solar system that falls within your budget.
Solar Financing Terms
Most solar installers in Reading have solar loans, which reduce the initial cost of installing a solar system. It's a good idea to add the interest you'll pay in your final cost estimate. If you can afford to pay a larger down payment, you can reduce your total costs and the amount of time it'll take to pay back the loan.
Solar Panel Installation Company
A final factor to consider when trying to figure out the cost of solar for your home or business in Reading is the company you choose to install your solar system. As with choosing a company to build a deck or pool, for instance, there's no shortage of solar installers that offer a range of services at different price points. You may notice national solar installers that have lower prices because of their larger brand name and access to bulk equipment pricing, or you might see small, local installation companies offering deals or specials to compete with those major players.
Solar Panel Cost Data by System Size
|System size||Cost per system watt||Solar system cost||25-Year savings||Payback period|
|6 kW||$3.06||$12,842||$19,731||9.9 years|
|8 kW||$3.00||$16,793||$26,637||9.7 years|
|10 kW||$2.94||$20,580||$33,708||9.5 years|
|12 kW||$2.88||$24,202||$40,943||9.3 years|
|14 kW||$2.82||$27,660||$48,343||9.1 years|
|16 kW||$2.76||$30,952||$55,908||8.9 years|
|18 kW||$2.70||$34,080||$63,637||8.7 years|
|20 kW||$2.65||$37,044||$71,531||8.5 years|
How to Save on Solar Panels
There are a lot of solar installers to choose from, all of which offer different warranties, solar panel brands and price points. To help you decide on the right company for you, here are some tips to keep in mind:
- Solar Panel Brands: Different companies will offer various brands and types of panels. If you know you want a specific brand, make sure the solar panel installer you're considering has it.
- Contract: Look through the contract terms carefully to make sure you understand the cost breakdown, project completion timeline rebates and warranties.
- Reputation: The North American Board of Certified Energy Practitioners (NABCEP) is a well-established certification organization for sustainable energy professionals. If your solar panel installer is NABCEP-certified, it most likely has a solid reputation and is qualified to get the job done well. Another way you can check your installer's reputation is by reading reviews.
- Installation Process: Make sure you're aligned with the installer in regard to how the installation process will go and what needs to be done before your solar system is installed, such as updating or replacing your electrical system or roof.
EcoWatch's Reading, MA Solar Cost FAQs
Our goal is to reach as many people as we can with sensible solutions like solar energy. Our team of full-time local researchers collects solar price and installation data for every city in America then compiles it to create these digestible city guides. If you want to read our solar expert's opinion on the top solar companies featured here, follow this link.