Solar Panel Cost Guide in Houma, LA (Feb 2023)
- Houma Solar Installation Cost: $17,792
- 25-Year Savings: $21,736
- Payback Period: 11.2 Years
See cost of a solar system near you:
Please enter a valid 5-digit zip code!
Why you can trust EcoWatch
Top Solar Installers in Houma
Many homeowners opt for a solar panel installer since installing solar panels by yourself can be challenging. Plus, if you're not certain what kind of solar panels and equipment you may need, a solar company can help you figure that out after a site survey and consultation.
You can work with a local solar installer to get a free quote on how much your investment in solar could cost for your home. Here are some near you:
See all of the solar companies in Houma
Factors that Affect Solar Panel Costs in Houma
There are several criteria that can play into your total installation cost, such as the size of your system, the equipment you choose, your financing options and the specific company that performs the installation.
One of the most significant factors to consider when it comes to the cost of adopting solar energy is the size of the solar system, which is measured in kilowatts (kW). The more electricity your household consumes, the larger your system will likely need to be. You can expect to pay about $2,570 per kilowatt in Houma. The brand and kind of equipment you want for your solar system can raise or lower the price quite significantly. If you prefer a trusted brand name like Tesla or SunPower, these are often more expensive than other brands. Efficiency also matters. Whether you're opting for high efficiency because you have a small roof or just want maximum energy production, you can expect a higher equipment cost, but this can typically lead to greater savings over time. Also, if you want extra equipment like an electric vehicle charger or solar batteries, this will also raise the cost.
Solar Financing Terms
If paying for a solar system in cash is too expensive, solar loans are a popular route because they decrease your upfront costs and let you pay for your system over five to seven years on average. You'll have to consider the long-term cost of loans, including the amount of interest you'll pay over the length of the loan. If you can only get a high-interest loan, then your total can be hundreds or even thousands of dollars more than the original cost. Making a larger down payment or securing a solar loan with a low interest rate could reduce your costs significantly.
Solar Panel Installation Company
A final consideration when trying to evaluate the cost of solar for your home or business in Houma is the company you choose to install your PV system. Similar to choosing a company to build a deck or pool, for instance, there's no shortage of solar installers that provide a range of services at different costs. Larger national companies usually have lower costs, but some local companies keep up with them by promoting sales and discounts. While the smaller companies might not have specific equipment options like Tesla Powerwall batteries or additional services like electric vehicle charger installation, they might be cheaper overall.
Solar Panel Cost Data by System Size
|System size||Cost per system watt||Solar system cost||25-Year savings||Payback period|
|6 kW||$2.67||$11,226||$12,765||11.7 years|
|8 kW||$2.62||$14,680||$17,308||11.5 years|
|10 kW||$2.57||$17,990||$21,994||11.2 years|
|12 kW||$2.52||$21,156||$26,825||11.0 years|
|14 kW||$2.47||$24,179||$31,800||10.8 years|
|16 kW||$2.42||$27,057||$36,918||10.6 years|
|18 kW||$2.36||$29,791||$42,181||10.3 years|
|20 kW||$2.31||$32,382||$47,587||10.1 years|
How to Save on Solar Panels
Since the brand of solar panels and the company you choose has an impact on your costs and your system's efficiency, production, and durability, it's important to pick the right ones for you. Here are some tips to keep in mind to help with your decision:
- Installation Process: Get detailed information from your solar installer about the installation process and what to expect, including when the site survey will be completed and how long it will take.
- Contract: Review the contract terms thoroughly to make sure you understand how much it will cost, completion timeline incentives and warranties.
- Reputation: The North American Board of Certified Energy Practitioners (NABCEP) is a well-established certification organization for clean energy professionals. If your solar panel installer is NABCEP-certified, it likely has a solid reputation and is qualified to install your solar system. Another way you can verify your installer's reputation is by reading reviews.
- Solar Panel Brands: Homeowners will have different preferences for panels depending on their locations and energy needs. Although there are many options for which model of solar panel you can get, not every company will have access to the exact one you may want or need, so be sure to peruse their list of offerings before making your decision.
EcoWatch's Houma, LA Solar Cost FAQs
Our goal is to reach as many people as we can with sensible solutions like solar energy. Our team of full-time local researchers collects solar price and installation data for every city in America then compiles it to create these digestible city guides. If you want to read our solar expert's opinion on the top solar companies featured here, follow this link.