Solar Panel Cost Guide in Topeka, KS (Feb 2023)
- Topeka Solar Installation Cost: $14,178
- 25-Year Savings: $28,827
- Payback Period: 8.2 Years
See cost of a solar system near you:
Please enter a valid 5-digit zip code!
Why you can trust EcoWatch
Top Solar Installers in Topeka
Many homeowners choose to use a solar installation company since trying to install solar panels yourself can be challenging. A solar installer can also help save you money in the long run by offering warranties, repairs and part replacements.
Working with a professional solar installer can help you make the most of your investment in solar. Here are our recommendations:
See all of the solar companies in Topeka
Factors that Affect Solar Panel Costs in Topeka
Although the average cost of a solar system in Topeka is $14,178, your final cost may be higher or lower than that. There are several factors that can have a sizable impact on the cost of a solar system installation. Below are some of the more important things to keep in mind.
The cost of solar panel systems varies by thousands of dollars due to a variety of factors. One of the most significant factors is the system size, which is measured in kilowatts (kW). Solar power systems that have higher efficiency or power generation need better technology and/or more equipment, both of which can raise costs. For each additional kilowatt you need, your cost can go up by about $2,590. Some solar panel brands — like Maxeon from SunPower — cost more upfront but also tend to offer higher efficiency. In a city like Topeka, where sunlight is relatively abundant, efficiency can quickly pay off. In addition, if you have a small roof or you don't have a lot of space for your panels, higher efficiency options will be more impactful. Additional equipment like electric vehicle chargers and solar batteries will also increase the cost.
Solar Financing Terms
Solar panels can save you money on utility bills over many years, but they can also be a big investment. That's why many Topeka homeowners opt to finance their solar panel systems to make paying for solar more affordable. However, the interest on solar loans also increases your overall costs, so it's vital to consider that as well. You can always bring down the total you pay in interest and sometimes even your APR by putting more money down.
Solar Panel Installation Company
Finally, the company you choose to install your solar panel system can impact the cost. Topeka's solar companies all have different labor costs and add varying upcharges to equipment. The size of the company can sometimes play the most significant role in the cost. Larger national companies, like SunPro and Sunrun, often have lower prices because they have more resources and better pricing. Smaller local companies might be more costly, but they can sometimes have better customer service and more customization options, and the occasional sale or discount can bring their pricing lower to compete with bigger names.
Solar Panel Cost Data by System Size
|System size||Cost per system watt||Solar system cost||25-Year savings||Payback period|
|6 kW||$2.69||$11,313||$21,666||8.6 years|
|8 kW||$2.64||$14,794||$29,177||8.4 years|
|10 kW||$2.59||$18,130||$36,834||8.2 years|
|12 kW||$2.54||$21,321||$44,636||8.1 years|
|14 kW||$2.49||$24,367||$52,583||7.9 years|
|16 kW||$2.43||$27,268||$60,675||7.8 years|
|18 kW||$2.38||$30,023||$68,913||7.6 years|
|20 kW||$2.33||$32,634||$77,295||7.4 years|
How to Save on Solar Panels
Since the brand of solar panels and the installation company you choose significantly affects your costs and your system's efficiency, production, and durability, it's important to pick the right ones for you. Here are some things to keep in mind to help with your decision:
- Contract: When looking over your solar company's contract, ask for clarification about any terms you're not sure of and be sure you understand what happens in scenarios such as a system component breaking or if the company goes out of business.
- Reputation: Your solar installer should have a solid reputation as a company and have proven expertise in the field. Two ways to check this are to look for whether a company has technicians certified by the North American Board of Certified Energy Practitioners (NABCEP) and if it has positive reviews from previous customers.
- Solar Panel Brands: Homeowners will have different preferences for panels based on their locations and energy needs. While there are many options for which kind of solar panel you can get, not every company will have the exact one you may want or need, so be sure to ask for their list of offerings before deciding.
- Warranty: Many companies offer different kinds of warranties that provide different kinds of coverage. A 25-year, all-inclusive warranty is the gold standard.
EcoWatch's Topeka, KS Solar Cost FAQs
Our goal is to reach as many people as we can with sensible solutions like solar energy. Our team of full-time local researchers collects solar price and installation data for every city in America then compiles it to create these digestible city guides. If you want to read our solar expert's opinion on the top solar companies featured here, follow this link.