Solar Panel Cost Guide in Derby, KS (Jan 2023)
- Derby Solar Installation Cost: $13,380
- 25-Year Savings: $30,761
- Payback Period: 7.6 Years
See cost of a solar system near you:
Please enter a valid 5-digit zip code!
Why you can trust EcoWatch
Top Solar Installers in Derby
When making the switch to solar, many homeowners prefer to use a solar company since installing solar panels yourself can be a difficult project. Plus, if you're not certain what brand of solar panels and equipment you may need, a solar expert can help you find the right equipment for you after a site survey and consultation.
If you're looking for a solar installer in Derby, we've organized a list of our top suggestions here:
See all of the solar companies in Derby
Factors that Affect Solar Panel Costs in Derby
There are a number of factors that can influence your solar panel installation cost, such as the size of your system, the equipment you choose, your financing options and the specific company that installs your solar panels.
When it comes to estimating the cost of a solar panel system in Derby, one of the most crucial factors is the size of the system you need. Solar systems are sized by kilowatts (kW) and are primarily based on your home's energy consumption, which you can gauge by looking at past energy bills. Your total cost can increase by around $2,590 for each additional kilowatt you need. Some solar brands — like Maxeon from SunPower — cost more upfront but also tend to offer higher efficiency. In a city like Derby, where sunlight is abundant, efficiency can quickly pay off. Also, if you have a small roof or you don't have a lot of space for your panels, higher efficiency options will be a better option. Additional equipment like electric vehicle chargers and solar batteries will also increase the cost.
Solar Financing Terms
Many homeowners find the average cost of solar in Derby to be too steep, even if the investment pays off over time. Thankfully, almost every solar installer in the area offers financing options. Solar loans remarkably decrease upfront costs for most homeowners, but they also result in higher prices over time due to interest. However, the interest on solar loans also adds to your all-in costs, so it's important to consider that as well. You can always bring down the total you pay in interest and possibly even your APR by putting more money down.
Solar Panel Installation Company
The solar panel installer you pick will affect your total cost to adopt solar energy. Different companies will charge different amounts for the equipment and labor. Additionally, some companies in Derby are more knowledgeable about local solar incentives and can help you learn about additional rebates or tax exemptions. However, they may charge more for walking you through the whole process. Even if they cost more upfront, they could end up saving you more money in the long run.
Solar Panel Cost Data by System Size
|System size||Cost per system watt||Solar system cost||25-Year savings||Payback period|
|6 kW||$2.69||$11,313||$24,571||7.9 years|
|8 kW||$2.64||$14,794||$33,052||7.7 years|
|10 kW||$2.59||$18,130||$41,677||7.6 years|
|12 kW||$2.54||$21,321||$50,448||7.4 years|
|14 kW||$2.49||$24,367||$59,363||7.3 years|
|16 kW||$2.43||$27,268||$68,424||7.1 years|
|18 kW||$2.38||$30,023||$77,629||7.0 years|
|20 kW||$2.33||$32,634||$86,980||6.8 years|
How to Save on Solar Panels
There are many solar installers to choose from, all of which offer different warranties, solar panel brands and price points. To help you decide on the right company for you, here are some tips to keep in mind:
- Installation Process: When going solar, it's crucial to maintain an open line of communication with your solar installer. See to it that you understand how the installation process works and the completion timeline.
- Reputation: The North American Board of Certified Energy Practitioners (NABCEP) is a well-established certification organization for renewable energy professionals. If your solar panel installer is NABCEP-certified, it most likely has a solid reputation and is qualified to do the job well. Another way you can research your installer's reputation is by reading reviews.
- Solar Panel Brands: Each solar panel brand and type offers varying levels of quality, durability and energy efficiency. They will come at different prices as well. The company you choose affects which solar panel brands you have access to.
- Contract: Before signing a contract with a solar company, make sure you look it over fully so you understand the terms. Also, ask questions if you're unsure about some of the terms, such as what the warranty covers and what services you can expect from them.
EcoWatch's Derby, KS Solar Cost FAQs
Our goal is to reach as many people as we can with sensible solutions like solar energy. Our team of full-time local researchers collects solar price and installation data for every city in America then compiles it to create these digestible city guides. If you want to read our solar expert's opinion on the top solar companies featured here, follow this link.