Solar Panel Cost Guide in Portland, IN (Feb 2023)
- Portland Solar Installation Cost: $16,659
- 25-Year Savings: $29,708
- Payback Period: 9.0 Years
See cost of a solar system near you:
Please enter a valid 5-digit zip code!
Why you can trust EcoWatch
Top Solar Installers in Portland
Although it's possible to install solar panels yourself, it involves extra effort and knowledge. Because of that, the majority of homeowners choose a solar panel installer. Plus, if you're unsure what brand of solar panels and equipment you need, a solar installer can help you figure that out after a site survey and consultation.
You can get a free quote from a local solar installer on the cost of solar panels for your home. Here are some in Portland:
See all of the solar companies in Portland
Factors that Affect Solar Panel Costs in Portland
Even though the average cost of a solar system in Portland is $16,659, your actual cost may be higher or lower than that. There are several factors that can have a significant impact on the cost of a residential solar panel installation. Below are some of the more crucial things to take into consideration.
The cost of solar panel systems varies by thousands of dollars due to a variety of factors. One of the key factors is the system size, which is measured in kilowatts (kW). Solar power systems that have higher efficiency or power generation use better technology and/or more equipment, both of which can increase costs. For each additional kilowatt you need, your cost can go up by about $2,680. There are many different solar panel brands and the one you choose also changes the cost. Usually, the brands that have better efficiency tend to also be more expensive. Additionally, the type of equipment you're looking to get can affect your total cost. If you only need panels, your system will be far less expensive than if you also need solar batteries or an electric vehicle charger.
Solar Financing Terms
Most solar companies in Portland have solar loans, which reduce your upfront costs of installing solar. Though solar loans make going solar more accessible for Portland homeowners, they can also increase the total you pay for your system, depending on your interest rate and how long you take to pay off the loan. If you make a larger down payment, though, you can cut back on how much interest you have to pay.
Solar Panel Installation Company
Lastly, the company you hire to install your solar system can play a role in determining how much it costs. Portland's solar companies all have different labor costs and add varying upcharges to equipment. Larger national companies usually have lower costs, but some local companies compete with them by offering sales and discounts. While the smaller companies might not have access to specific equipment options like Tesla Powerwall batteries or extra services like electric car charger installation, they might be cheaper overall.
Solar Panel Cost Data by System Size
|System size||Cost per system watt||Solar system cost||25-Year savings||Payback period|
|6 kW||$2.79||$11,706||$19,607||9.3 years|
|8 kW||$2.73||$15,308||$26,443||9.2 years|
|10 kW||$2.68||$18,760||$33,429||9.0 years|
|12 kW||$2.63||$22,062||$40,564||8.8 years|
|14 kW||$2.57||$25,213||$47,850||8.6 years|
|16 kW||$2.52||$28,215||$55,287||8.4 years|
|18 kW||$2.47||$31,067||$62,873||8.3 years|
|20 kW||$2.41||$33,768||$70,609||8.1 years|
How to Save on Solar Panels
The solar company you go with will be a major factor in determining not only your total costs, but also the kinds of solar panel brands, warranties, and other equipment you can get. When choosing a solar company, there are several important things you should consider, such as:
- Installation Process: Make sure you're on the same page with the installer in regard to how the installation process will go and what you need to do before your solar panels are installed, such as updating your electrical system or roof.
- Contract: When looking over your solar company's contract, ask for clarification about any terms you're not sure of and make sure you understand what happens in scenarios like a system component breaking or if the company goes out of business.
- Solar Panel Brands: Homeowners will have different preferences for panels based on their roof configurations and energy needs. While there are many options for which type of solar panel you can get, not every company will have access to the exact one you may want or need, so be sure to ask for their list of options before making your decision.
- Reputation: Your solar installer should have a good reputation as a company and have verifiable expertise in the field. A couple of ways to check this are to look for whether a company has technicians certified by the North American Board of Certified Energy Practitioners (NABCEP) and if it has good reviews from past customers.
EcoWatch's Portland, IN Solar Cost FAQs
Our goal is to reach as many people as we can with sensible solutions like solar energy. Our team of full-time local researchers collects solar price and installation data for every city in America then compiles it to create these digestible city guides. If you want to read our solar expert's opinion on the top solar companies featured here, follow this link.