Solar Panel Cost Guide in Berne, IN (Feb 2023)
- Berne Solar Installation Cost: $16,734
- 25-Year Savings: $29,633
- Payback Period: 9.0 Years
See cost of a solar system near you:
Please enter a valid 5-digit zip code!
Why you can trust EcoWatch
Top Solar Installers in Berne
When switching to solar energy, many homeowners opt to use a solar installation company since installing a solar system yourself can be a difficult project. Also, companies with a high reputation that are more expensive upfront could actually save you money in the long term due to their warranties, repair services and expert design.
If you're looking for a solar installer in Berne, we've organized a list of our top suggestions here:
See all of the solar companies in Berne
Factors that Affect Solar Panel Costs in Berne
Cost is typically one of the most important factors for homeowners considering investing in solar. There are a few major factors that affect your total cost in Berne: solar equipment and system size, financing options and the solar installation company you choose. We'll cover each of these briefly below.
The cost of solar panel systems varies by thousands of dollars due to a variety of factors. One of the major factors is the system size, which is measured in kilowatts (kW). Solar power systems that have higher efficiency or power generation require better technology and/or more equipment, both of which can increase costs. For each additional kilowatt you need, your cost can go up by about $2,680. Some solar panel brands — like Maxeon from SunPower — cost more upfront but also tend to offer higher efficiency. In a city like Berne, where sunlight is relatively abundant, efficiency can quickly pay off. Plus, if you have a small roof or limited space for your panels, higher efficiency options will be more impactful. Additional equipment like electric vehicle chargers and solar batteries will also increase the cost.
Solar Financing Terms
Most solar installers in Berne provide solar loans, which reduce the initial cost of installing a solar system. It's wise to factor the interest you'll pay in your final cost estimate. If you can afford to put more money down upfront, you can reduce your total costs and how long it'll take to pay off the loan.
Solar Panel Installation Company
The solar installer you choose will play a role in your total cost to make the switch to solar power. Different companies will bill different amounts for the equipment and labor. You may notice national solar installers that have lower prices because of their larger brand name and access to bulk prices, or you might see small, local installation companies offering deals or specials to compete with those major players.
Solar Panel Cost Data by System Size
|System size||Cost per system watt||Solar system cost||25-Year savings||Payback period|
|6 kW||$2.79||$11,706||$19,475||9.4 years|
|8 kW||$2.73||$15,308||$26,266||9.2 years|
|10 kW||$2.68||$18,760||$33,208||9.0 years|
|12 kW||$2.63||$22,062||$40,300||8.8 years|
|14 kW||$2.57||$25,213||$47,542||8.7 years|
|16 kW||$2.52||$28,215||$54,934||8.5 years|
|18 kW||$2.47||$31,067||$62,476||8.3 years|
|20 kW||$2.41||$33,768||$70,168||8.1 years|
How to Save on Solar Panels
There are a lot of solar installers to choose from, all of which offer different warranties, solar panel models and price points. To help you select the right company for you, here are some tips to keep in mind:
- Solar Panel Brands: Each solar panel brand and kind has varying levels of quality, longevity and energy efficiency. They will come at different price points as well. The company you choose has an impact on which solar panel brands you have access to.
- Installation Process: When making the switch to solar, it's important to maintain an open line of communication with your solar company. See to it that you understand how the installation process will go and the project completion timeline.
- Contract: Even though reading through a contract can be tedious, it's important to do it fully so you can make sure you understand how much the equipment and services will cost and the terms of the warranty.
- Reputation: Make sure your solar company has a good reputation by verifying it has certifications and licenses, checking how long it's been in business and reading reviews by previous customers and solar experts like the EcoWatch team.
EcoWatch's Berne, IN Solar Cost FAQs
Our goal is to reach as many people as we can with sensible solutions like solar energy. Our team of full-time local researchers collects solar price and installation data for every city in America then compiles it to create these digestible city guides. If you want to read our solar expert's opinion on the top solar companies featured here, follow this link.