Solar Panel Cost Guide in Zion, IL (Feb 2023)
- Zion Solar Installation Cost: $12,078
- 25-Year Savings: $10,534
- Payback Period: 13.4 Years
See cost of a solar system near you:
Please enter a valid 5-digit zip code!
Why you can trust EcoWatch
Top Solar Installers in Zion
When going solar, many homeowners choose to hire a solar installer since putting up a solar system yourself can be a time-consuming project. A solar company can also help save you money in the long run by offering warranties, repairs and part replacements.
You can work with a local solar installer to get a free quote on the cost of solar panels for your home. Here are some nearby:
See all of the solar companies in Zion
Factors that Affect Solar Panel Costs in Zion
For many Zion homeowners, the decision to go solar rests on cost. However, the range of solar installation costs can be quite wide in Zion, with typical prices between $20,000 to $40,000. There are numerous factors that greatly influence the price you'll pay, which we'll go over below.
System size, which is measured in kilowatts, is one of the largest factors that determines the overall cost of going solar. Because of that, it's crucial to accurately ascertain the size of the solar energy system needed for your home by figuring out your typical energy use. The model of solar panels and equipment you get is another factor that will substantially affect costs. Solar panels that have higher efficiency, like monocrystalline panels, tend to come at a higher price. Further, solar equipment is more than just the solar panels themselves. You'll also need to consider the kind of racks used to mount the panels, inverters, solar batteries, etc. It's important to take all of this into consideration when researching a solar system that falls within your budget.
Solar Financing Terms
If paying for a solar system out of pocket is too expensive, solar loans are a solid option because they decrease your upfront costs and allow you to pay for your system over five to seven years on average. However, the interest on solar loans also increases your total costs, so it's important to include that in your estimate as well. You can always lower the total you pay in interest and sometimes even your APR by putting more money down.
Solar Panel Installation Company
The last major cost factor you should take into consideration is the installer you choose. Given the booming popularity of renewable energy solutions in Zion, you'll have many options to choose from, but each comes at varying price points for labor and equipment. Some companies only sell high-quality, high-efficiency and high-price products — like Maxeon solar panels from SunPower or Tesla Powerwall batteries — so choosing those installers will generally come at a higher cost. It's best to do some research and find a company that has the products, warranties and services you're looking for and also fits within your budget.
Solar Panel Cost Data by System Size
|System size||Cost per system watt||Solar system cost||25-Year savings||Payback period|
|6 kW||$2.84||$11,925||$9,531||13.9 years|
|8 kW||$2.78||$15,594||$13,014||13.6 years|
|10 kW||$2.73||$19,110||$16,649||13.4 years|
|12 kW||$2.68||$22,473||$20,438||13.1 years|
|14 kW||$2.62||$25,684||$24,379||12.8 years|
|16 kW||$2.57||$28,741||$28,473||12.6 years|
|18 kW||$2.51||$31,646||$32,721||12.3 years|
|20 kW||$2.46||$34,398||$37,121||12.0 years|
How to Save on Solar Panels
The solar company you choose will impact not only your overall costs, but also the kinds of solar panel brands, warranties, and other equipment you have access to. When choosing a solar company, there are several important things you should consider, such as:
- Installation Process: When making the switch to solar power, it's necessary to maintain an open line of communication with your solar panel installer. See to it that you understand how the installation process will go and the project completion timeline.
- Contract: Before you sign a contract with a solar installer, make sure to read it through completely so you understand the terms. Also, ask questions if you're unsure about some of the terms, such as what the warranty covers and if there are any guarantees about energy production.
- Solar Panel Brands: Each solar panel brand and kind offers varying levels of quality, durability and efficiency. They will come at different price points as well. The company you choose has an impact on which solar panel brands you have access to.
- Reputation: Make sure your solar company has a good reputation by verifying it has certifications and licenses, checking how long it's been in business and reading reviews by past customers and solar experts like the EcoWatch team.
EcoWatch's Zion, IL Solar Cost FAQs
Our goal is to reach as many people as we can with sensible solutions like solar energy. Our team of full-time local researchers collects solar price and installation data for every city in America then compiles it to create these digestible city guides. If you want to read our solar expert's opinion on the top solar companies featured here, follow this link.