Solar Panel Cost Guide in Waukegan, IL (Jan 2023)
- Waukegan Solar Installation Cost: $12,078
- 25-Year Savings: $10,534
- Payback Period: 13.4 Years
See cost of a solar system near you:
Please enter a valid 5-digit zip code!
Why you can trust EcoWatch
Top Solar Installers in Waukegan
Many homeowners decide to hire a solar panel installer since figuring out how to install solar panels on your own can be challenging. Some solar companies, especially local ones, can help you take advantage of incentives in Waukegan, optimizing your ROI.
There are various licensed solar professionals that can install solar panels for you. Here are our suggestions:
See all of the solar companies in Waukegan
Factors that Affect Solar Panel Costs in Waukegan
There are many criteria that can determine your total installation cost, such as the size of your system, the equipment you choose, your financing options and the specific company that installs your solar panels.
When it comes to estimating the price of a solar energy system in Waukegan, one of the most crucial factors is the size of the system you need. Solar systems are sized by kilowatts (kW) and are largely based on your home's energy consumption, which you can gauge by looking at past electricity bills. Your total cost can increase by around $2,730 for each additional kilowatt you need. The type of solar equipment you choose can increase or decrease your cost by thousands or even tens of thousands of dollars. If you opt for the most efficient solar panel brands, you'll end up paying more upfront than if you opted for the most affordable panels. On the other hand, higher efficiency could save you more over time on your energy bills. In addition, add-on products, like solar batteries, can bump up your total well above the Waukegan average.
Solar Financing Terms
Solar panels can save you money on power bills over time, but they can also be a significant investment. That's why many Waukegan homeowners choose to finance their solar panel systems to make paying for solar more affordable. However, the interest on solar loans also increases your total costs, so it's vital to include that in your estimate as well. You can always reduce the total you pay in interest and possibly even your APR by making a larger down payment.
Solar Panel Installation Company
Lastly, the company you get to install your solar panels can play a part in determining the cost. Waukegan's solar companies all have different labor costs and add varying upcharges to equipment. Larger national companies typically have lower costs, but some local companies compete with them by promoting sales and discounts. While the smaller companies might not have access to specific equipment options like Tesla Powerwall batteries or extra services like electric car charger installation, they might be cheaper overall.
Solar Panel Cost Data by System Size
|System size||Cost per system watt||Solar system cost||25-Year savings||Payback period|
|6 kW||$2.84||$11,925||$9,531||13.9 years|
|8 kW||$2.78||$15,594||$13,014||13.6 years|
|10 kW||$2.73||$19,110||$16,649||13.4 years|
|12 kW||$2.68||$22,473||$20,438||13.1 years|
|14 kW||$2.62||$25,684||$24,379||12.8 years|
|16 kW||$2.57||$28,741||$28,473||12.6 years|
|18 kW||$2.51||$31,646||$32,721||12.3 years|
|20 kW||$2.46||$34,398||$37,121||12.0 years|
How to Save on Solar Panels
There are a lot of companies to choose from in Waukegan, and some homeowners feel overwhelmed considering their options. Choosing the right company for you can be difficult, so here are some tips to help you decide:
- Reputation: Well-established companies likely have a solid reputation. This is important because it ensures that it will not only see your solar project through, but will also provide quality aftercare and customer support, such as part repairs and replacements.
- Warranty: Companies typically offer different kinds of warranties that provide different kinds of coverage. A 25-year, all-inclusive warranty is the gold standard.
- Solar Panel Brands: Each solar panel brand and model offers varying levels of quality, longevity and energy efficiency. They will come at different price points as well. The company you choose affects which solar panel brands you have access to.
- Contract: Before you sign a contract with a solar installer, make sure you look it over carefully so you understand the terms. Also, ask questions if you aren't sure about some of the terms, such as what the warranty covers and if there are any guarantees about energy production.
EcoWatch's Waukegan, IL Solar Cost FAQs
Our goal is to reach as many people as we can with sensible solutions like solar energy. Our team of full-time local researchers collects solar price and installation data for every city in America then compiles it to create these digestible city guides. If you want to read our solar expert's opinion on the top solar companies featured here, follow this link.