Solar Panel Cost Guide in Plainfield, IL (Jan 2023)
- Plainfield Solar Installation Cost: $12,345
- 25-Year Savings: $10,267
- Payback Period: 13.6 Years
See cost of a solar system near you:
Please enter a valid 5-digit zip code!
Why you can trust EcoWatch
Top Solar Installers in Plainfield
Although you can install solar panels yourself, it involves extra labor and expertise. That's one of the reasons most people choose to hire a solar panel installer. The expertise that solar installers provide can be useful as well, particularly if you aren't sure what brand of solar equipment would be right for your home.
You can get a free quote from a local solar installer on the cost of solar panels for your home. Here are some near you:
See all of the solar companies in Plainfield
Factors that Affect Solar Panel Costs in Plainfield
Cost is often one of the most important factors for homeowners who want to invest in solar. There are a few key factors that will push your cost above or below the average in Plainfield: solar equipment and system size, financing options and the solar installation company you choose. We'll discuss each of these briefly below.
When it comes to estimating the cost of a solar energy system in Plainfield, one of the most important factors is the size of the system you need. Solar systems are sized by kilowatts (kW) and are mainly based on your home's energy usage, which you can gauge by looking at past energy bills. Your overall cost can increase by around $2,730 for each additional kilowatt you need. There are several different solar panel brands and the one you pick also affects the cost. In many cases, the brands that are more efficient tend to also be more expensive. Plus, the type of equipment you want to install can affect your total cost. If you just need panels, your system will be far less expensive than if you also need solar batteries or an electric vehicle charger.
Solar Financing Terms
If paying for solar panels in cash is out of reach, solar loans are a popular route because they cut back your upfront costs and let you pay for your system over five to seven years on average. You'll have to consider the long-term cost of loans, including the total interest you'll pay over the length of the loan. If you can only get a high-interest loan, then your total can be hundreds or even thousands of dollars above the equipment and labor cost. Making a larger down payment or getting a solar loan with a low APR could reduce your costs significantly.
Solar Panel Installation Company
The last key cost factor you should take into consideration is the installer you choose. Given the booming popularity of renewable energy solutions in Plainfield, you'll have lots of options to choose from, but each comes at different price points for labor and equipment. The size of the company can sometimes play the most significant role in the installation costs. Larger national companies, like SunPro and Sunrun, often have lower pricing due to access to greater resources and bulk pricing. Smaller local companies might be more costly, but they can sometimes have better customer service and more customization options, and the occasional sale or discount can bring their pricing down to compete with bigger names.
Solar Panel Cost Data by System Size
|System size||Cost per system watt||Solar system cost||25-Year savings||Payback period|
|6 kW||$2.84||$11,925||$9,083||14.2 years|
|8 kW||$2.78||$15,594||$12,417||13.9 years|
|10 kW||$2.73||$19,110||$15,904||13.6 years|
|12 kW||$2.68||$22,473||$19,543||13.4 years|
|14 kW||$2.62||$25,684||$23,335||13.1 years|
|16 kW||$2.57||$28,741||$27,280||12.8 years|
|18 kW||$2.51||$31,646||$31,378||12.6 years|
|20 kW||$2.46||$34,398||$35,629||12.3 years|
How to Save on Solar Panels
The solar panel company you opt for will be a major factor in determining not only your overall costs, but also the kinds of solar panel brands, warranties, and other equipment you can get. When choosing a solar company, there are a few important things you should take into account, such as:
- Contract: It's important to read your solar installer's contract carefully to understand what services they will provide, what the warranty covers and what you can expect about the installation process.
- Reputation: The North American Board of Certified Energy Practitioners (NABCEP) is a well-established certification organization for sustainable energy professionals. If your solar panel installer is NABCEP-certified, it likely has a good reputation and is qualified to install your solar system. Another way you can check your installer's reputation is by reading reviews.
- Solar Panel Brands: Homeowners will have different preferences for panels based on their roof configurations and energy needs. Although there are many options for which kind of solar panel you can get, not every company will have the exact one you may want or need, so make sure you take a look at their list of options before deciding.
- Warranty: A quality company stands out from other companies by providing the gold standard warranty — a 25-year, all-inclusive warranty covering parts, labor and performance.
EcoWatch's Plainfield, IL Solar Cost FAQs
Our goal is to reach as many people as we can with sensible solutions like solar energy. Our team of full-time local researchers collects solar price and installation data for every city in America then compiles it to create these digestible city guides. If you want to read our solar expert's opinion on the top solar companies featured here, follow this link.