Solar Panel Cost Guide in Northbrook, IL (Feb 2023)
- Northbrook Solar Installation Cost: $12,211
- 25-Year Savings: $11,596
- Payback Period: 12.8 Years
See cost of a solar system near you:
Please enter a valid 5-digit zip code!
Why you can trust EcoWatch
Top Solar Installers in Northbrook
DIY solar panel installation is a possibility, but it's an undertaking that can be a pain. Taking advantage of an installer can make your switch to solar power much easier. The payback period on a solar system will vary based on factors like your location and energy needs, but going with a solar installer can help you reach a break-even point sooner. Your provider will be able to help you get the most out of incentives available in your area.
There are several licensed solar professionals that can help you install your solar panels. Here are our suggestions:
See all of the solar companies in Northbrook
Factors that Affect Solar Panel Costs in Northbrook
There are many factors that can influence your installation cost, such as the size of your system, the equipment you choose, your financing options and the specific company that installs your solar panels.
When it comes to estimating the cost of a solar panel system in Northbrook, one of the most important factors is the size of the system you need. Solar systems are sized by kilowatts (kW) and are chiefly based on your home's energy usage, which you can figure out by looking at past energy bills. Your total cost can increase by about $2,730 for each additional kilowatt you need. The kind of solar equipment you choose can increase or decrease your cost by thousands or even tens of thousands of dollars. If you get the most efficient solar panel brands, you'll end up paying more upfront than if you opted for the most affordable panels. However, higher efficiency could save you more in the long run on your power bills. In addition, add-on products, such as solar batteries, can bring your total well above the Northbrook average.
Solar Financing Terms
Most solar installers in Northbrook offer solar loans, which reduce your upfront costs of installing solar panels. While solar loans make adopting solar energy more accessible for Northbrook homeowners, they can also increase the total you pay for your system, depending on your interest rate and how long you take to pay off the loan. If you put down a larger down payment, though, you can cut back on how much interest you have to pay.
Solar Panel Installation Company
The remaining significant cost factor you should keep in mind is the installer you choose. Given the booming popularity of sustainable energy solutions in Northbrook, you'll have plenty of options to choose from, but each comes at various price points for labor and equipment. Some companies only sell high-quality, high-efficiency and high-price products — like Maxeon solar panels from SunPower or Tesla Powerwall batteries — so choosing those installers will generally come with an above-average cost. It's best to do some research and find a company that has the products, warranties and services you're looking for and also fits within your budget.
Solar Panel Cost Data by System Size
|System size||Cost per system watt||Solar system cost||25-Year savings||Payback period|
|6 kW||$2.84||$11,925||$10,430||13.3 years|
|8 kW||$2.78||$15,594||$14,212||13.1 years|
|10 kW||$2.73||$19,110||$18,147||12.8 years|
|12 kW||$2.68||$22,473||$22,235||12.6 years|
|14 kW||$2.62||$25,684||$26,476||12.3 years|
|16 kW||$2.57||$28,741||$30,870||12.1 years|
|18 kW||$2.51||$31,646||$35,416||11.8 years|
|20 kW||$2.46||$34,398||$40,116||11.5 years|
How to Save on Solar Panels
There are a lot of solar installers to choose from, all of which offer different warranties, solar panel models and price points. To help you decide on the right company for you, here are some tips to keep in mind:
- Solar Panel Brands: Not all solar companies offer the same brands of solar panels, so the brand and type of panel you want can play a considerable role in the company you go with.
- Contract: Before you sign a contract with a solar company, make sure you look it over fully so you understand the terms. Also, ask questions if you aren't sure about some of the terms, such as what to do if a component breaks or malfunctions and what services you can expect from them.
- Warranty: A quality company stands out from other companies by offering the gold standard warranty — a 25-year, all-inclusive warranty covering parts, labor and performance.
- Reputation: The North American Board of Certified Energy Practitioners (NABCEP) is a respected certification organization for clean energy professionals. If your solar panel installer is NABCEP-certified, it likely has a good reputation and is qualified to install your solar system. Another way you can research your installer's reputation is by reading reviews.
EcoWatch's Northbrook, IL Solar Cost FAQs
Our goal is to reach as many people as we can with sensible solutions like solar energy. Our team of full-time local researchers collects solar price and installation data for every city in America then compiles it to create these digestible city guides. If you want to read our solar expert's opinion on the top solar companies featured here, follow this link.