Solar Panel Cost Guide in Geneseo, IL (Feb 2023)
- Geneseo Solar Installation Cost: $12,288
- 25-Year Savings: $8,455
- Payback Period: 14.8 Years
See cost of a solar system near you:
Please enter a valid 5-digit zip code!
Why you can trust EcoWatch
Top Solar Installers in Geneseo
DIY solar panel installation is a way to cut costs, but it's an undertaking that can use up a lot of your time and energy. Using a solar panel installer can make converting to solar power much easier. The expertise that solar companies offer can be helpful as well, particularly if you don't quite know what brand of solar equipment would be right for your home.
There are several licensed solar professionals that can take care of your solar installation project. Here are our suggestions:
See all of the solar companies in Geneseo
Factors that Affect Solar Panel Costs in Geneseo
There are several factors that can determine your solar panel installation cost, such as the size of your system, the equipment you choose, your financing options and the specific company that does the installation.
The cost of solar panel systems varies by thousands of dollars due to a few different factors. One of the major factors is the system size, which is measured in kilowatts (kW). Solar power systems that have better efficiency or power production use better technology and/or more equipment, both of which can increase costs. For each additional kilowatt you need, your cost can go up by about $2,730. Some solar brands — like Maxeon from SunPower — are more costly upfront but also tend to offer better efficiency. In a city like Geneseo, where sunlight is relatively abundant, efficiency can quickly pay off. In addition, if you have a small roof or limited space for your panels, higher efficiency options will be a better option. Additional equipment like electric vehicle chargers and solar batteries will also increase the cost.
Solar Financing Terms
If paying for a solar system out of pocket is too expensive, solar loans are a solid option because they lower your upfront costs and allow you to pay for your system over a term of, on average, between five and seven years. However, the interest on solar loans also adds to your all-in costs, so it's important to include that in your estimate as well. You can always reduce the total you pay in interest and possibly even your APR by making a larger down payment.
Solar Panel Installation Company
A final consideration when trying to figure out the cost of solar for your home or business in Geneseo is the company you get to install your PV system. As with choosing a company to install new cabinets, for instance, there's no shortage of solar installers that offer a range of services at different price points. Some companies only sell high-efficiency and high-priced products — like Maxeon solar panels from SunPower or Tesla Powerwall batteries — so choosing those installers will generally come with an above-average cost. It's best to do some research and find a company that offers the products, warranties and services you want and also is within your budget.
Solar Panel Cost Data by System Size
|System size||Cost per system watt||Solar system cost||25-Year savings||Payback period|
|6 kW||$2.84||$11,925||$7,433||15.4 years|
|8 kW||$2.78||$15,594||$10,217||15.1 years|
|10 kW||$2.73||$19,110||$13,153||14.8 years|
|12 kW||$2.68||$22,473||$16,242||14.5 years|
|14 kW||$2.62||$25,684||$19,485||14.2 years|
|16 kW||$2.57||$28,741||$22,880||13.9 years|
|18 kW||$2.51||$31,646||$26,428||13.6 years|
|20 kW||$2.46||$34,398||$30,128||13.3 years|
How to Save on Solar Panels
There are a lot of solar installers to choose from, all of which offer different warranties, solar panel brands and price points. To help you find the right company for you, here are some tips to keep in mind:
- Solar Panel Brands: Different companies carry various brands and types of panels. If you want a specific brand, make sure the solar panel company you're considering has it.
- Reputation: Your solar installer should have a sound reputation as a company and have proven expertise in the field. A couple of ways to check this are to look for whether a company has technicians that hold a certification from the North American Board of Certified Energy Practitioners (NABCEP) and if it has good reviews from past customers.
- Installation Process: Get details from your solar company about the installation process and what to expect, such as when the site survey will be done and what the project timeline is.
- Contract: Before you sign a contract with a solar company, make sure to look it over fully so you understand the terms. Also, ask questions if you're not certain about some of the terms, such as what the warranty covers and what services you can expect from them.
EcoWatch's Geneseo, IL Solar Cost FAQs
Our goal is to reach as many people as we can with sensible solutions like solar energy. Our team of full-time local researchers collects solar price and installation data for every city in America then compiles it to create these digestible city guides. If you want to read our solar expert's opinion on the top solar companies featured here, follow this link.